What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Google Chrome

Pages: (11): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 10 11 » Last »
Google Chrome
Author: Message:
plmccordj

RE: Google Chrome
You have got to be kidding or outright lying.  I do not believe that you have never used a home button.  You have to really be one of    those Google worshipers to think this is a good browser.  I am posting this from Chrome and being fast is the only thing about this browser that is decent. 

There is seriously something wrong with a browser that you have to go to the settings to find the home button.  This browser looks like Netscape 1.0 and is typical of Google with their featureless Google Talk.  Google does one thing well and that is search.  Their Google Earth is good as well but other than that, they are way and I mean way over rated.  This is typical of Google worshipers that would fawn over a featureless browser even without a home button.

I am just absolutely amazed at the level or lack of common sense when applied to Google.  The browser sucks though it may be better with later versions.  Using Google Talk as a gage would prove otherwise as it has been out several years and still sucks.

Nice try on the "I've never used the home button" line.  Either you are such a hard core Google worshiper or you are mentally retarded.  I have been on the Internet since 1994 and have never seen a person that has been on the Internet and never used the home button.

This is a first for me.  The fact that this statement was not scolded and pointed out from other users is telling of the audience of this board.  To think that I searched for the phrase "Google Chrome has no home button" and actually found a place defending it is just amazing.  I have visions of robots walking around chanting the mantra "Google is God" walking around.  Have no fear... I will not be back on this board as it is not likely a place that is going to have any usable information.
09-05-2008 01:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
how retarded to you have to be to not see what they're trying to do with the home button thing? the point of not having a home button is that the New Tab page they have should be able to take you wherever you need to go, and when you want to do something else with the browser you open a new tab...

disclaimer: i didn't say i think it was a good idea, but by enabling/using the home button you're going against how google "wants"/expects you to use the browser
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
09-05-2008 01:37 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I said 'I never use', not 'never used'. Slight difference.

You don't need a home button, I have all the sites I want to visit a lot bookmarked, the most visited ones along the bookmar bar, and as such, from any page I can go to any place I want. Why would I need a homepage? The only reason you would have a homepage is so that you have something to look at when you first open the browser, seeing as I have Fx, and Chrome, to open the tabs I last visited, I have no need for a homepage.

I open browser > there's stuff I was last looking at > can now continue reading article, or continue browsing forums, open new tab, go check out some C&H.

This post was edited on 09-05-2008 at 08:23 AM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
09-05-2008 08:22 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Google Chrome
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
2. The privacy issues goes around the horribly annoying wagon of people that think Google are going to take over the planet. Just because a) Google made it and b) they shortcut'd and used their "common" ToS doesn't mean that it's a spooky thing to use and Google is going to take over the planet! Come on!
I, and I think Sunshine also, aren't people who think "Google is taking over the world".

That's just another argument I'll put in the same category as "M$ doesn't listen to its users and simply wants to make money", "The world is going to end in 2012", and "leaking stuff is cool because everybody does it and no harm is done", and all the other populistical internet sayings...

In fact the brand 'Google' hasn't got anything todo with my opinion about Chrome. If it was for any other brand, I would've said the very same thing.

If you are a somewhat regular forum user, I'd expect you would know I'm always telling people to use Google. And use Google myself a lot everyday day. It is my homepage and the only search engine I swear by. If it wasn't for Google, I wouldn't be able to do what I do so much. So, to then tell me I'm one of those "Google is taking over the world" people or to simply see my opinions in that context is more then questionable.

As for b): They (or any other company) should not use their 'common' TOS at all. That is plain wrong. A TOS, EULA, etc is like a contract. Show me 1 company which in real life uses the same contract for everything. There isn't one, because each contract needs to be specific for each product, otherwise it isn't valid. It are the TOS, EULA, policies, etc which exactly specify what a product may or may not do and what is expected from the user. So if it states  the product or the company may do X with your data, then it is more than logic that a user who actually reads those 'contracts' will cry out!! Nomatter if the product actually will do X or not as that doesn't matter, what matters is what is in the 'contract'. If you don't agree with the 'contract' you wouldn't be using the product in the first place to find out if the product actually does follow the 'contract' or not; the 'contract' is the first you (should) see _before_ you see the product. And the reason they changed it a bit by now, is exactly because they too reconize this.

-----------------------

quote:
Originally posted by plmccordj
Have no fear... I will not be back on this board as it is not likely a place that is going to have any usable information.
It's equally quote:"retarded" to judge an entire forum, its users and the vast amount of information on that forum because of 1 discussion about some general topic which isn't even the main focus point of that forum.

btw: I use the internet since the early days (in fact, I've been using Bullitin Board Systems long before the internet, I'm that old *grup*), and I never had any use for the Home button. First, because I didn't had a 'home' to go to (how sad of me), and second, because nowadays when you open a browser or a new tab, the page that is loaded is the homepage. And you can have favorites and your own custom buttons in a toolbar all leading to multiple 'homepages'. So the 'Home' button is realy of no use anymore in most of those cases.

This post was edited on 09-05-2008 at 10:54 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-05-2008 10:13 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
how retarded to you have to be to not see what they're trying to do with the home button thing? the point of not having a home button is that the New Tab page they have should be able to take you wherever you need to go, and when you want to do something else with the browser you open a new tab...

disclaimer: i didn't say i think it was a good idea, but by enabling/using the home button you're going against how google "wants"/expects you to use the browser
exactly the home button just takes up space

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

09-05-2008 10:26 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro

3. ... Oh, and you're wrong. Heard of the one process per tab? One process per plugin? Different perspective of security? ..
Have you actually read the article i've posted? Is there anything original in Google Chrome?
IE8 also opens tabs in seperate processes and it also has Inprivate browsing, anti-phishing (SmartScreen filter)...also look in Internet settings, many more things you can turn on/off in regards of security. Read further below to see which browsers I have installed here...

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I, and I think Sunshine also, aren't people who think "Google is taking over the world".

Correct, I'm not one of those either...do those really exist? Take over the world, come on get real.

I also use Google products like Search (not the toolbar, don't particularly like toolbars), Gmail and Adsense. I use stuff of all brands really, whatever gets me what I want/need and I'm equally critical about all of them. I have 3 different browsers installed here (IE8b2, Firefox and Opera) just to make sure my site is rendering the same (or "as good as") in whichever browser someone is using! I really don't see why I'd need Chrome too.

This post was edited on 09-05-2008 at 10:55 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
09-05-2008 10:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
I really don't see why I'd need Chrome too.
cos it's nicer to use than firefox, no toolbars few buttons, better tab manipulation i can't think of anything more in particular but i like it over firefox

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

09-05-2008 12:15 PM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I won't get into any huge debates here, I just want to point out something which doesn't seem to have been brought up.

Chrome is a named browser, but it's ability to browse the web is simply the smallest feature it offers. This is not a web browser as such, it is an O.S. that is meant to allow google calendar, docs, mail and all other apps to run. I don't believe Google will take over the world, I simply believe they have a futuristic view of where technology is headed, and they take advantage of that.

Microsoft has a monopoly in offline computing, Google is changing that default thinking by bringing everything online. They don't care about browsing the web; they've always promoted firefox. What they care about is to keep on pushing their web os. Chrome allows them to do so.

Yes Google privacy issues is nothing new, and it should not be taken lighty (because all computers log everything and that internet usage is never 100% private doesn't mean it has to be easier for them than others) but the reason I actually am loving this browser is not because of it's lack of vulnaribilities (all browsers had and will keep on having some from time to time, and so they will be fixed eventually) neither it's perfection in privacy issues (every huge company has these and it will be fixed) but I love this because it brings web O.S. a step further and pushes it to be not only a concept of future, but a concept of reality.
09-05-2008 12:49 PM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Microsoft watch - Chrome Privacy is Full of Dents
... Right, I'm going to believe something a Microsoft based blog tells me. Especially when it says this:
quote:
I've just got to excerpt from this document: "When you type URLs or queries in the address bar, the letters you type are sent to Google so the Suggest feature can automatically recommend terms or URLs you may be looking for."

Can you say keylogger? What else could "the letters you type" mean?
Are you kidding me? Give me a god damn break. All that's happening here are search suggestions being provided - which similar browsers have had for years.

quote:
"Your copy of Google Chrome includes one or more unique application numbers. These numbers and information about your installation of the browser (e.g., version number, language) will be sent to Google when you first install and use it and when Google Chrome automatically checks for updates. If you choose to send usage statistics and crash reports to Google, the browser will send us this information along with a unique application number as well."
Every crash report you send Microsoft contains a unique identifier for your installation, the same with Apple Mac OS X. These identifiers are used to purely summarize/group crash reports. Holy sweet mother of Mozes, they're sending back my version number and language? Pfft, what a joke.

quote:
I'm not going to install it myself, because of some massive security issues (and, yes, because of the tracking it apparently does, being able to turn it off or not).
You're still running Windows, right? 8-)
quote:
To be very honest, those security issues should have been fixed _before_ it went public. And they could have, since the very same stuff is already fixed in Safari, before Chrome went to public, which uses the exact same engine.
Actually no, you're wrong. While Chrome uses WebKit, the rendering engines are not the same. Chrome has a customized version of WebKit in quite a few ways.

Also - there's a good chance the beta version being released is not "fresh off the mill" and is code that is backdated quite a few revisions - so who knows if it was already fixed or not?
quote:
Originally posted by plmccordj
I do not believe that you have never used a home button.
I've not used the home button in a long time. My primary means of navigating between pages in the browser I use are the address bar, search box and by launching a new tab.
quote:
IE8 also opens tabs in seperate processes and it also has Inprivate browsing, anti-phishing (SmartScreen filter)...also look in Internet settings, many more things you can turn on/off in regards of security. Read further below to see which browsers I have installed here...
Give me a break. You mean to say that Google started developing Chrome and adding in per-instance tabs etc right after Microsoft announced it? Do you realize how long Chrome has actually been in development for?

Just my opinion.
09-05-2008 01:58 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
.....aaand we have an old fashioned browser fight :D.

It used to be so easy to pick sides when there was just Netscape and IE. Now there is IE, Opera, FF, Chrome... poor fanboys :(.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
09-05-2008 02:20 PM
Pages: (11): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 10 11 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: