What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Sounds being tempermental?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Sounds being tempermental?
Author: Message:
arqueete

33 / Female / Flag
O.P. Sounds being tempermental?
Sometime earlier this past week, at least, my friends and I started having trouble with sending custom emoticon sounds -- ones that we use on a near-daily basis seem fine, so do some other random ones but the majority won't send, including ones that were just made ("just made" being since the problem started -- I have sounds I made a few days ago that I've tried to send every day since with no success). All of them preview just fine. We get an error either telling us that the feature is disabled and the server may be under maintenance and try later or that the server can't be contacted (I can get the exact wordings if necessary, but that's the gist). We've run into these kinds of errors before, but usually across a few hours, not days *-)

So far I am aware of four other people besides myself who are experiencing this (and they're the only ones I've asked, so I know no one who isn't experiencing it). It's possibly worth noting that the people I asked probably have a majority of sounds in common with me, though I don't know which they were trying to send when they were testing this for me.

I know at least one other person and myself have MsgPlus 4.70.0.334 and Live v8.1

SO, the question is: a) are we the only ones having this problem? b) is there anything we can do about this or is it something out of our control that we'll have to wait out? (If it is, is anyone even aware of this? I've looked around the forum and I can't see any other posts about it)

Thanks in advance for any help or information you can provide us!
09-14-2008 04:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Fuse

Wax on..Wax off

32 / Male / –
RE: Sounds being tempermental?
I'm not having this problem. However, I'd try uninstalling Plus! and seeing if the problem is resolved (if so, report it). Otherwise the only other thing I can recommend is generic uninstall WLM.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.
Two fish in a tank. One turns to the other and says "Do you know how to drive this thing?"
09-14-2008 06:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
arqueete

33 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Sounds being tempermental?
I uninstalled Plus (including user prefs) and reinstalled it, made a new sound, wouldn't send. So I uninstalled Plus again, uninstalled WLM, reinstalled both with the newest versions off the respective websites (so now I have WLM 8.5 and same Plus), made a new sound, and it won't send :(

I just reimported all my old sounds and there appears to be no change in which work and which don't.
09-14-2008 11:08 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
that's nor normal. Anybody else experiencing the same kind of difficulties?
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-15-2008 09:40 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
There was one other person on IRC earlier reporting problems.
quote:
[15:26] <erm> Erm yeah hey, is there a problem with the MSN severs cuz everytime i try to send a custom emotion sound it says something about security settings and that the server wont accept it? thanks
[15:27] <+MeEtc> can you copy the entire error here please?
[15:27] <erm> "An error occured while contacting the server, please try again later. If the problem persists, check your security settings."
[15:28] <+MeEtc> seems OK here
[15:29] <erm> Argh, its happening to everyone I ask. What version of WLM and MSGPlus do you have? Also where are you from?
[15:30] <+MeEtc> WLM 8.5, msgplus 4.70, canada
[15:31] <erm> hmm thats exactly what i'm using, except i'm from the UK...I thought it mighta been a problem with where you were from, but surely it wouldn't make a difference.
[15:31] <+MeEtc> i'm asking one of my UK contacts to try
[15:32] <erm> Ok, thanks
[15:34] <+MeEtc> erm: i just had a problem receiving one sound myself, but on second attempt it was ok
[15:34] <erm> Wow....So you honestly don't have any idea why that is happening? :(
[15:34] <+MeEtc> nope, sorry
[15:35] <erm> Ah ok, thankyou anyway.
[15:35] <+MeEtc> has it worked in the past for you?
[15:36] <erm> Yeah it has worked all the time in the past. It's just over the recent week it's just started acting up.
[15:36] <+MeEtc> hmm, nope
[15:37] <+MeEtc> havent heard any other reports of problems either
[15:46] <erm> I also logged into my computer to see if it worked there, and it didnt work there either [i'm on my laptop usually]
[15:47] <erm> OOH wait i just got a different error
[15:48] <erm> "The Custom Emotion Sounds feature is currently disabled. The server may be under maintenance, please try again later."
[15:48] <+MeEtc> sounds pretty descriptive to me
[15:49] <erm> Hmm, well if its disabled for me, but it works for me....then thats very strange.
[15:53] <erm> see look; this is the thread that made me think that there was something wrong with the server; http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=40787

[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
09-15-2008 09:54 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Found the issues, the servers are being overloaded. Working on a fix... I'll keep you posted
09-15-2008 10:32 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
All the servers are back up, I've launched a purge to clean out more than 2 million of sound files that haven't been used recently in order to get some space back for the new ones. It should be completed by tomorrow.

Thanks for reporting :)
09-15-2008 11:57 PM
arqueete

33 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Sounds being tempermental?
Awesome! We're all excited because we're nerds like that XD

Thanks so much.
09-16-2008 12:32 AM
jaguar_ramone

It says the Sound Emoticon feature is disabled. I hope it gets back, pronto! I'm a sound emoticon addict :p
09-16-2008 03:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
arqueete

33 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Sounds being tempermental?
quote:
Originally posted by jaguar_ramone
It says the Sound Emoticon feature is disabled. I hope it gets back, pronto! I'm a sound emoticon addict :p

Yeeeah I'm getting that message for everything now...

I think it says something about the sounds addictions of the few people who spoke up considering the problem has probably been around a week by now but so many people apparently didn't notice or weren't concerned enough to say anything.

Obviously we're the cool kids.

When I will be able to again punctuate that sentiment with a sound relating to being cool my nerdiness shall again be satisfied :|
09-16-2008 07:53 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: