What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Offline Blocker] Script changed my display name

[Offline Blocker] Script changed my display name
Author: Message:
hkBattousai

O.P. [Offline Blocker] Script changed my display name
[Image: buged1.jpg]

In the morning, I left my computer on and left the house. When I returned in the evening there was nothing wrong except for my display name in WLM. It was somehow changed to "You have been BLOCKED! (Reason: Appearing Offline)", which is the message for offline appearing contacts.
10-08-2008 05:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
RE: [Offline Blocker] Script changed my display name
This is because there is a limit to how often you can change your display name in a certain amount of time.

What probably happened here is that too many people signed out shortly after each other. For every contact that signs out, the script changes your name twice: once to the message set in the script and once back to what it was. The limit was probably reached between those changes. There's no real solution for this. The only workaround I can think of is a timer in the script to check from time to time whether or not the name was changed back, but you'll have to ask the author of the script to implement that.

by the way, I strongly discourage the use of scripts like this. If someone else on your contact list uses it too, you'll have blocked each other before you know it and never see each other as online again (until you manually unblock ofcourse)
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
10-08-2008 06:43 PM
hkBattousai

O.P. RE: RE: [Offline Blocker] Script changed my display name
quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
This is because there is a limit to how often you can change your display name in a certain amount of time.

What probably happened here is that too many people signed out shortly after each other. For every contact that signs out, the script changes your name twice: once to the message set in the script and once back to what it was. The limit was probably reached between those changes. There's no real solution for this. The only workaround I can think of is a timer in the script to check from time to time whether or not the name was changed back, but you'll have to ask the author of the script to implement that.
Thank you for the explanation.
I hope the developer of this script finds solution to this problem soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
by the way, I strongly discourage the use of scripts like this. If someone else on your contact list uses it too, you'll have blocked each other before you know it and never see each other as online again (until you manually unblock ofcourse)
That's quite an important point. I will be aware of that.
10-08-2008 07:48 PM
hkBattousai

O.P. RE: [Offline Blocker] Script changed my display name
This error occured again and one of my dear friend has taken umbrage at this situation. What does this script has to do with the display name in the first place? Shouldn't it be working only on the status message?

This script made wonders in my mind and enjoyed using it, but I will have to uninstall it if my close friends take any more offence because of it.
10-11-2008 04:25 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: