What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Script CRC check (detect if script was hacked/modified without permission)

Script CRC check (detect if script was hacked/modified without permission)
Author: Message:
Shaggie

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Sad  Script CRC check (detect if script was hacked/modified without permission)
Does msgplus have the ability (or can it be added) to do something like a CRC check of an enabled script to verify that it has not been modified/hacked.

I currently have a problem with a childish co-worker, that I thought I took care of by writing a script to prevent others from modifying my personal message when I get called away to assist someone else.  Unfortunately, he hacked the script to force it to say something I did not want it to.

Even if I were to lock my pc, a user could still access my system over the network to modify the script file.
If possible I think it would be nice to have msgplus verify that a script has not been modified, and to constantly notify me if an in use script was modified without permission.  The best would be if the verification code could not be easily replicated on another pc (say by including the pc name in the data used to generate the verification code).

This post was edited on 10-29-2008 at 05:58 PM by Shaggie.
10-15-2008 11:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Script CRC check (detect if script was modified without permission)
quote:
Originally posted by Shaggie
Even if I were to lock my pc, a user could still access my system over the network to modify the script file.

uh, if you lock your pc, how will they be able to change your psm?
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
10-16-2008 12:17 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Shaggie

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Script CRC check (detect if script was modified without permission)
The script ensures that if I go away without locking my pc, my personal message cannot be changed.  If it is changed, then it will be reset to what I want.  Also, I have my Plus preferences locked with a pwd.

But If I were not running that script, someone could inject code into another script I am running to set my pm to whatever they want.
10-16-2008 12:21 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Script CRC check (detect if script was modified without permission)
you actually have co-workers that would go to that much work to change your psm?

just change the permissions on your Scripts folder (c:\program files\messenger plus! live\scripts)
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
10-16-2008 12:22 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Shaggie

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Script CRC check (detect if script was modified without permission)
I know, eh.  It is a pain. And he doesn't do it that often, but when he does, he'll tack his change to the end where I can't see it.
We are a small company here, and sometimes he needs to do something as a Domain Admin.  When he is given access he could use it override my local security.  He probably wouldn't, but I don't want to take any chances, and truthfully, he is not adding anything offensive, or overly bad.  It is just stupid things like comments about my breakfast, or having me complain about missing food.
I am also afraid of the potential of the security modification causing problems for MsgPlus.  Besides, is that not a security hole that should be plugged.  Some one could get a specially crafted virus that modified messenger scripts to cause it to do things the owner finds undesirable like automatically sending private files to specific contacts in the middle of the night.

This post was edited on 10-16-2008 at 12:34 AM by Shaggie.
10-16-2008 12:31 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: