What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » [split] incompatibility with GDI++

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
[split] incompatibility with GDI++
Author: Message:
CalumJR

Neowin.net Moderator

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] incompatibility with GDI++
OK, I tried ClearTweak & it doesn't do anything much, especially not to the level of GDI++

I don't know whether it was better before I installed GDI++, but now when I uninstall it, my font rendering looks terrible - It looks worse than it should be, I reckon, but that's not the point I'm getting at.

I don't really think I can live without GDI++ installed & I am sure this would be an easy fix to make (as every other single program I have come across works perfectly & looks as it should whilst I'm using GDI++ - even MessengerDiscovery does, but I uninstalled that because of the bugs & the fact I prefer MessengerPlus Live).

So, is there any way this could become a high priority fix please as I imagine it could easily be fixed.
[Image: signature.png]
11-04-2008 01:07 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
RE: [split] incompatibility with GDI++
quote:
Originally posted by cJr.

So, is there any way this could become a high priority fix please as I imagine it could easily be fixed.
I doubt it would become high priority, as its not a program that is used by a majority of Plus! users.

This post was edited on 11-04-2008 at 04:41 AM by Th3rmal.
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
11-04-2008 01:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CalumJR

Neowin.net Moderator

34 / Male / Flag
I am not authorised to PM Patchou.

Is there any chance somebody may please alert him to this bug.

I see it as a critical bug which may easily be fixed. It may prevent me from using Messenger Plus Live :(
11-07-2008 08:32 PM
Bad Cyborg

RE: RE: Compatibility with Messenger 2009 Beta
I actually came in here looking for GDI++ solution for Windows Mobile. But while I'm here I thought I'd do some damage.

quote:

The reason I can't live without GDI++ (lol):

My system with GDI++ enabled:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p208/calumr69/...derringwithGDI.jpg

My system without GDI++ (notice the font renderring looks horrible - Windows Vista's default):

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p208/calumr69/...ringwithoutGDI.jpg

Now, I'm an advocate for Freetype, but I hardly blame others for not seeing anything special in these comparative shots. Honestly they're not any different from each other after you've compressed the pictures to the extend where Cleartype becomes blurred out enough to almost resemble Freetype. Remember, JPEG compression works like poor man's antialiasing, it adds artifact that smooth out a picture's rough edges. Here then is the real reason why millions of (mostly Asian) users are turning to GDI++. Observe.

Without Freetype, your web would look like this.

With Freetype, something magical happens.

Anyway instead of waiting for this Messenger Live to support GDI++, why not give Digsby a go instead? It works well with GDI++, and it supports every IM protocol out there. If it doesn't work for you, at least it'll tide you over until Messenger Live finally does what you want.
11-26-2008 03:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Cyborg
at least it'll tide you over until Messenger Live finally does what you want

Which it probably won't do.

quote:
Without Freetype, your web would look like this.

With Freetype, something magical happens.

Ah, now it's much clearer ^o)
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
11-26-2008 08:49 AM
CalumJR

Neowin.net Moderator

34 / Male / Flag
If you compare my screenshots side-by-side, there is actually a fair difference (look at the text on the folders of the start menu). There could, however, be more of a difference as my first screenshot does not show off the awful default Windows font rendering as efficient as it could.

Your screenshots look even more awful.

I'm sure it would be a simple fix to get it to work with GDI++ as every single program I have tried does work with it. Let's face it, if any one of you tried GDI++ on your Vista system and checked the results before or after, whether you like it or not, you will have to admit that it looks sexier (and in my opinion, better).

As for using Digsby, I just can't. The new Windows Live Messenger wave 3 version (2009) is just too good and has the Windows Live integration I love. Also, MessengerPlus has some really amazing features and with these two together in a combination, it makes my Instant Messaging experience brilliant.

@Spunky: Why don't you try GDI++ if you are using Windows Vista?  Please form your own opinion on it, instead of being biased at the fact that MessengerPlus! Live doesn't support it. Even though it's probably never going to support it, you could still like the effect it gives.
11-26-2008 11:22 AM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
@Spunky: Why don't you try GDI++ if you are using Windows Vista?  Please form your own opinion on it, instead of being biased at the fact that MessengerPlus! Live doesn't support it. Even though it's probably never going to support it, you could still like the effect it gives.

I've tried it before making that post... Guess why I don't have it now ;)
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
11-26-2008 12:09 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Remember, JPEG compression works like poor man's antialiasing
So, for best screenshot comparisons, use PNG :P
[Image: spartaafk.png]