What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Logs get deleted automatically?

Logs get deleted automatically?
Author: Message:
bobbybraun

O.P. Logs get deleted automatically?
Hi guys,

I have my sessions set up to be logged in text format, nothing special.
The option to log is on, no encryption, archiving per month is on.

When I start chatting, I see my logs and they were nicely recorded for the last 4 days. But now today they were all gone.
I installed an undelete application and they were nowhere to be found/recovered?

Any idea on where they could have gone, why they are gone? What is the procedure in Messenger Plus, can they be deleted?
I just don't understand why they were there yesterday and today nothing.
I went to the settings dialog and checked if the option to log was on, I verified the folder again and clicked apply again and now when I start chatting, it starts logging again???
It's an XP machine, any ideas?

Thanks,
Bobby
11-10-2008 09:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Logs get deleted automatically?
They can't be removed by Plus! as far as I know. Even uninstalling Plus! and selecting to delete everything does not delete them, they're saved separately.

Can anyone else access your computer? Sounds like someone may have deleted them.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
11-10-2008 10:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
bobbybraun

O.P. RE: Logs get deleted automatically?
So deleting them can only be done by going to the folder in Windows Explorer manually and pressing delete?
They can't be deleted via the live UI?

What I find so strange is that there is no trace of them, why can't the undelete tool find them either... grrrr...
I changed the logs to be saved in html now. On my own machine I have logs dating back to 2007 and they are all in html. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Yes my wife can access it, but she doesn't care about those things, she is a novice.

Well I'll keep an eye out day after day to see when they disappear and what the reason could be...

Thanks,
Bobby
11-10-2008 10:39 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by bobbybraun

What I find so strange is that there is no trace of them, why can't the undelete tool find them either... grrrr...

The fact is, un-delete tools aren't very reliable and can only recover stuff not already written over. A lot of R/W operations would probably just bury them.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
11-11-2008 07:11 AM
Antz

33 / Male / Flag
I have no idea if this is the same issue, but I changed my Messenger Plus! settings on the new version to log chats by contact. Meaning in your chat logs folder you have to click on your own email address's folder first.

Hope this helps.
[Image: Antz.jpg]
11-11-2008 10:48 PM
bobbybraun

O.P. RE: Logs get deleted automatically?
Thanks,

atm I set my settings to HTML, I did this yesterday, so I'll see how long they 'survive'.
I'll keep an eye out when they are deleted and if it happens I'll try with the contacts.

I'll first have to exclude it being the application or something else.
Although it seems that MsgPlus can't delete logs.

Bobby
11-12-2008 06:54 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: