What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Status Icons

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Status Icons
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Status Icons
quote:
Originally posted by matty
Not sure why but I noticed the icon changing back to the WLM default one for  some reason. If anyone else notices this let me know.
This is normal behaviour for WLM 14.x (this wont happen in 8.5). The windows are repainted from time to time and if certain events occur.

Also, but it has been a long time since I worked on that script, in certain situation WLM isn't done painting yet before the script finishes (like with chatwndcreate). So the icon put there by the script simply gets replaced by the default one.

I experienced all that before with the original StatusIcon script (you've reinvented the wheel... but it is rounder now :p). I 'solved' it by using a timer which updates the window icon from time to time. And a non-repeating timer to wait a bit before putting the icon again when the window is created.

;)

This post was edited on 10-06-2009 at 12:03 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-06-2009 12:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
pleasehelpme

RE: Status Icons
First of all, thank you for taking time out of your own personal schedule to help others. I really appreciate this forum. Again, Thank you!

I tried using the script with WLM 8.1 (hate the new versions-- Currently running ML!P 4.60) using tabbed chats, but it doesn't work.  Works good for when the tabbed chats option is turned off (as stated in the first page of this thread, by matty).  Could anyone please update this script?

Secondly (and of lesser priority), I realized a small (bug?) with the actual icons it uses. Take a look at the posted screenshot for further visual aid. Sometimes, the icons will appear as cute boxes that depict busy as red, away as yellow, and green as available. Other times, it uses the conventional MSN logo for busy, away, etc. Is this supposed to happen randomly or is there a way to choose which icon set to use? I don't mind either, it's just a little irritating when it switches back and forth between them.

.jpg File Attachment: zzz.JPG (67.41 KB)
This file has been downloaded 126 time(s).
11-21-2009 07:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Veggie

37 / Male / Flag
Check what scripts are running, from the looks of that screenshot you are running my version (normal icons) and mattys version (square icons) at the same time
11-21-2009 07:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
pleasehelpme

I have only installed mattys version (3rd post in the 1st page of this thread -- StatusIcon_WLMBeta.plsc). Where can I get yours to give it a try?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1653/ffdfsfsdf.jpg

EDIT #1:  I was playing around with my other MSN addon (Stuffplug), and found that I had one of the options ticked. Take a look at the screenshot.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2268/ghhfghgh.jpg

So now atleast one of my issues is solved. Neither the matty or stuffplug solution seem to work with tabbed convo's. Any solution around this?

EDIT #2:  After researching further on these forums, I have come across several threads where numerous people desires the said feature. Apparently this is a limitation within scripting and is not possible for tabbed chats.

Thank you for your time

This post was edited on 11-22-2009 at 04:28 AM by pleasehelpme.
11-21-2009 07:23 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by pleasehelpme
So now atleast one of my issues is solved. Neither the matty or stuffplug solution seem to work with tabbed convo's. Any solution around this?

EDIT #2:  After researching further on these forums, I have come across several threads where numerous people desires the said feature. Apparently this is a limitation within scripting and is not possible for tabbed chats.
It does work for tabbed chatting! Tabbed chatting does not break those scripts, nor is there any bug.

But there is a big misconception on what such scripts actually do.

It is important to know that such scripts like these are programmed to change the Windows' title bar icon, they do not intentionaly change the taskbar button icon, that is only a side-effect!!! The changing taskbar button icon is only the result of the changing Windows' title bar icon.

As such you must have the title bar of the chat windows visible to see the proper effect of the script. This means you must enable the borders of the window and thus the top menu in conversation windows.

Also, remember that tabbed chatting works in a different way than the conventional chat windows. And hence the taskbar button icon will show a different icon (because of the way tabbed chats work).

See
CookieRevised's reply to [release] Status Icon Version 1.02
and
and

This post was edited on 11-22-2009 at 03:05 PM by CookieRevised.
11-22-2009 02:55 PM
pleasehelpme

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
It does work for tabbed chatting! Tabbed chatting does not break those scripts, nor is there any bug.

Could you please provide screenshots? I am not doubting you, but rather frustrated at being unable to get it to work. I could not for the life of me figure out how to properly work this.

quote:

As such you must have the title bar of the chat windows visible to see the proper effect of the script. This means you must enable the borders of the window and thus the top menu in conversation windows.

Check, and check. After enabling tabs again, and trying your script (v.1.0 -- I could not find the link to 1.02), I see that indeed the icons do change for the 'title bar', at the top of the chat window. This is great, indeed, but unfortunately I was looking for the 'side-effect', making the taskbar icon resemble the status icons. After reading in your other thread about how 'tabs' actually work, with the hidden windows and whatnot, it's understandable that this may not be possible, since Plus! will just assign a default icon to all the tabbed chats in the taskbar, but it will still show the status icons on the title bar.

quote:

Also, remember that tabbed chatting works in a different way than the conventional chat windows. And hence the taskbar button icon will show a different icon (because of the way tabbed chats work).

And Alas! we have come to the end. I think both of us can agree that most users that were looking for this script were interested in the taskbar status icon rather than the title bar, even though this was only a side effect. I was mislead in the  first few lines in this post when you claimed that it "worked for tabbed chatting", but I do not blame you. It is only a limitation within Plus! that the group icon for tabs cannot be changed in the taskbar, to resemble the current status icon for the current open chat.

Thank you for your time
11-22-2009 03:32 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It's very understandable that most people think it is for the taskbar button though. It is indeed it is a bit misleading.

Then again, when you do have tabbed chats enabled, you would only have 1 taskbar button for all the chats anyways. So the usefullness of seeing the status of your contacts by glimpsing the taskbar buttons is already a bit less as you would only be able to see the status of the contact in the current focused chat, and not the statusses of the others.

quote:
Originally posted by pleasehelpme
It is only a limitation within Plus! that the group icon for tabs cannot be changed in the taskbar, to resemble the current status icon for the current open chat.
It is not so much a limitation though because there are ways.

That icon can be changed (by changing the title bar icon of that hidden window used to group the chats, see my other posts), but the problem is that you need something to detect what chat window has the focus, aka on which tab you have pressed because the taskbar button icon must change each time you click on another tab.

For that you need to subclass either the chat windows (to detect when they come in focus) or either the hidden window of Plus! used by tabbed chats (to detect a change in the title of the hidden window which you can then use to derive which chat came in focus). And to do the later you need some other advanced stuff too because you need to detect when tabbed chatting is enabled/disabled.

But unfortunatly it is not possible to subclass with the current scripting engine without the use of an external DLL.

Thus, it is all possible in a way though, it only means a lot of advanced scripting and writing of such an external DLL. And that takes a lot of time and work. Much more than the time and work put into the current 'statusicon' scripts as they are all very basic straithforward and short scripts. Unfortunalty most of the scripters who would be capable of doing something like that are busy with other projects.

;)

This post was edited on 11-23-2009 at 02:48 PM by CookieRevised.
11-23-2009 02:44 PM
pleasehelpme

quote:
Then again, when you do have tabbed chats enabled, you would only have 1 taskbar button for all the chats anyways. So the usefullness of seeing the status of your contacts by glimpsing the taskbar buttons is already a bit less as you would only be able to see the status of the contact in the current focused chat, and not the statusses of the others.

I agree. After thinking over this situation for a while, it was obvious that I had to make a sacrifice one way or another, and I decided to un-tab my convo's from now on, so I can use the scripts provided.

quote:
And that takes a lot of time and work. Much more than the time and work put into the current 'statusicon' scripts as they are all very basic straithforward and short scripts. Unfortunalty most of the scripters who would be capable of doing something like that are busy with other projects.

Very understandable, being a Software Engineering student myself, I can imagine what such a workload does to a person...

Finally, I'm just curious if you could upload a version of your latest status icon script (1.02 I believe), with a changelog from 1.0 if possible. Thank you
11-23-2009 03:20 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: