What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Computer speed problems...

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Computer speed problems...
Author: Message:
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Computer speed problems...
quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
Depends on where you're downloading. But, turning everything off solved your problem?
They just gave me one option... and it surely isn't my connection: I rarely get low speeds...
Oh, and not really. Kaspersky didn't find anything suspicious, as I thought.
Can it be dust inside the (=O Just now I had to forgot the word... Chancer, you speak portuguese, don't you? So, "Gabinete" seria o que em Inglês?)... that thing where the motherboard and all that stuff stays?
... (I hate forgetting names =X)
Disk isn't fragmentaded, and there are no files in the "Temporary Files" folder... at least untill 10minutes ago, when it was cleaned =P What would that 1% be?
[Image: Empty.png]
11-26-2008 10:52 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: Computer speed problems...
quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
Can it be dust inside the (=O Just now I had to forgot the word... Chancer, you speak portuguese, don't you? So, "Gabinete" seria o que em Inglês?)... that thing where the motherboard and all that stuff stays?

computer case?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
11-26-2008 11:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Case...:P
and yes, it could be that, but only if your cpu (or sometimes some other component) is getting too hot because of the dust.

This post was edited on 11-26-2008 at 11:27 PM by Jesus.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
11-26-2008 11:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
Yes, gabinete = case. As Jesus said, check your temperatures.

What OS are you running, and what are your specs?
11-27-2008 12:23 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Well, since last week, my pc started to get slower and slower, don't know why.
Speed is relative and your computer does more than one thing.  What exactly is slow?  Try to answer that, with some possible answers being the startup time, opening all programs, using programs (non-Internet related, e.g. Word), using programs which access the Internet.

Next, open Task Manager (Alt-Ctrl-Delete or right click the task bar) and go to the Performance tab.  I am looking at XP at the moment, Vista may be a little different.  It's the tab with the CPU usage graphs and statistics.  Without any CPU-intensive programs open (you can leave various background things running, like Messenger), it should show a spike where you opened it, but stay fluctuating between 0 and less than 10% as you watch it over time. 

If it stays high or frequently spikes to 50% or more,  switch to the Processes tab, tick "Show processes from all users" box, and watch the list, specifically the CPU usage column.  Normally it will show 95+% going to the "System Idle Process", with zeros across the board briefly turning into occasional low numbers, as various processes running in the background do things.  If anything is using lots of your CPU, this is where you would usually see what.
quote:
Why the hell you use so many anti-viruses/spywares/etc?
While you can have more than one passive scanner software installed, be aware that antivirus and anti-spyware programs that perform any kind of "active monitoring" usually don't play well together, and that's most of them these days.  You should aim to have only one of those.  This could be your problem.
quote:
6Kb/sec download speed?
If your "slowness" isn't your computer but actually your Internet connection, that will probably be something you will have to take up with your ISP.
11-27-2008 07:43 AM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
Well, answearing to all:
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
computer case?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case

Yes. And I sure wouldn't use wikipedia to find a word that I don't remember. =P
quote:
Yes, gabinete = case. As Jesus said, check your temperatures.

What OS are you running, and what are your specs?
To check temperature, is there a program or have to go to BIOS?

Windows Vista Ultimate, 32Bit
6.0.6000 Multiprocessor Free

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (no Overclock)

2046Mb RAM

One hard drive, 3 Partitions:
C: [NTFS] 50,000Mb Total, 19,357Mb Free (System)
D: [NTFS] 90,000Mb Total, 74,060Mb Free (Files)
E: [NTFS] 98,473Mb Total, 89,101Mb Free (Games)

nVidia GeForce 8500GT
1279Mb Total Video Memory
512Mb Dedicated Video Memory
767Mb Shared by System

Need any more info?
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Speed is relative and your computer does more than one thing.  What exactly is slow?  Try to answer that, with some possible answers being the startup time, opening all programs, using programs (non-Internet related, e.g. Word), using programs which access the Internet.

In comparing my current speed with my old speed. Somethings are about 5x sower, while someotherthings are still the same.
Games are running pretty slowly, doesn't matter if they acess or not the internet.
Videos are slower sometimes. .wmv, .qqt or .mp4 and DVDs are running as before, but RealMedia formats are a bit slower, making audio stop for a really little while so that it is synced again with video (this happens about 1 time at each 2 minutes.)

YouTube is the weirdest of all: when the video hasn't been completed loaded, it almost doesn't play, no matter if 1% or 99.9% is loaded already. But if has been completely loaded, plays normally. Also, if I try to open more than one video at a time, the WebBrowser crashes. (Safari 3.2.1, Firefox 3, Firefox 2, Opera and IE7).

Office stuff open normally, but when typing in Word, for example, it seems to stop working sometimes, but starts working again, like if nothing had happened. (e.g., I'm writing a paragraph. In the middle of the paragraph, Word "stop working", but if I continue to type, everything will be there when it gets ok again, that's like about 2secs after that "stop")
quote:
Next, open Task Manager (Alt-Ctrl-Delete or right click the task bar) and go to the Performance tab.  I am looking at XP at the moment, Vista may be a little different.  It's the tab with the CPU usage graphs and statistics.  Without any CPU-intensive programs open (you can leave various background things running, like Messenger), it should show a spike where you opened it, but stay fluctuating between 0 and less than 10% as you watch it over time. 

If it stays high or frequently spikes to 50% or more,  switch to the Processes tab, tick "Show processes from all users" box, and watch the list, specifically the CPU usage column.  Normally it will show 95+% going to the "System Idle Process", with zeros across the board briefly turning into occasional low numbers, as various processes running in the background do things.  If anything is using lots of your CPU, this is where you would usually see what.
The peaks don't even reach 40% when I open a program, even games. CPU usage stays between 7%~0% when using iTunes+Safari+Firefox 3+Word+Messenger+Live Mail+System.
"System Idle Time" varies from 94% to 98%, going to 80%~60% when opening a program. I think it is normal, isn't it?

I'm still thinking of the possibility with something wrong with the RAM memory... I remeber having the same problems when I had 256Mb RAM on my old XP.
quote:
quote:
6Kb/sec download speed?
If your "slowness" isn't your computer but actually your Internet connection, that will probably be something you will have to take up with your ISP.

In fact, I called my ISP, and discovered they were with some problems at that time. They've already solved it.
11-27-2008 04:30 PM
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
A few programs [url=http://www.google.com.br/search?q=cpu+temp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:pt-BR:official&client=firefox-a]here[/url].
If you're having problems with videos and games, check if the video card is clean too.

You said you have a lot of anti-viruses, and now, many browsers. I may be wrong, but I bet you also have installed a lot of different programs with the same function. You may consider choosing your preferred and uninstall the others. Your Windows' registry can be kinda messed with all those apps.
11-27-2008 05:35 PM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
A few programs [url=http://www.google.com.br/search?q=cpu+temp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:pt-BR:official&client=firefox-a]here[/url].
If you're having problems with videos and games, check if the video card is clean too.

You said you have a lot of anti-viruses, and now, many browsers. I may be wrong, but I bet you also have installed a lot of different programs with the same function. You may consider choosing your preferred and uninstall the others. Your Windows' registry can be kinda messed with all those apps.
Well, I used to run a website, then I'd test it with some ones...
Will uninstall some programs, leet's see if it gets better =)

Temperature:
Core#1: 42ºC~45ºC
Core#2: 42ºC~44ºC

This post was edited on 11-27-2008 at 06:44 PM by blessedguy.
11-27-2008 06:27 PM
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
Temps seems to be fine. I have no other ideas about what may be causing that laziness...
11-27-2008 06:52 PM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
Neither do I =X
That's why I'm worried
11-27-2008 07:47 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »