What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Car Audio System

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Car Audio System
Author: Message:
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Car Audio System
quote:
Originally posted by haydos
I take it you'll be getting new speakers too? You have a Getz. Don't even bother with a sub woofer. Not worth it and anyone who puts a sub in a Getz or Excel or something is a goose. Just get some nice 6x9 speakers in the back and they'll produce enough bass.

I rate JB Hi Fi for car audio. They have a lot of stuff there just go in and have a look what catches your eye out of those that meet your requirements. They also have good prices.

Before you head in, think about whether or not you'll want a front Aux. Some are at the back or side, and generally that means you'll need to leave your cord in there 24/7 so if you need it for other things it could be a pain.
Hello Haydos, went into a few audio car system shops, they were completely useless. I have considered 6x9's but my car doesn't have back speakers to replace, so could you please elaborate on your suggestion?
...there used to be a signature here :)
12-05-2008 02:09 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
RE: Car Audio System
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
quote:
Originally posted by haydos
I take it you'll be getting new speakers too? You have a Getz. Don't even bother with a sub woofer. Not worth it and anyone who puts a sub in a Getz or Excel or something is a goose. Just get some nice 6x9 speakers in the back and they'll produce enough bass.

I rate JB Hi Fi for car audio. They have a lot of stuff there just go in and have a look what catches your eye out of those that meet your requirements. They also have good prices.

Before you head in, think about whether or not you'll want a front Aux. Some are at the back or side, and generally that means you'll need to leave your cord in there 24/7 so if you need it for other things it could be a pain.
Hello Haydos, went into a few audio car system shops, they were completely useless. I have considered 6x9's but my car doesn't have back speakers to replace, so could you please elaborate on your suggestion?
you don't need a parcel shelf for 6x9, you can fix them anyway they'll go. i installed mine in the side walls of the boot. however if you don't like modding thing yourself to much, then take out the existing speakers, measure them up and then buy replacements that are the same size. even a set of fairly cheap speakers will be better then what you have already.
if you're not planning to replacing the speakers, then there's not much point in replacing the headunit
12-05-2008 04:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie

Oh right, I didn't think about that for a Getz - the back 'dash' you can't install anything in. :undecided:

Did you really want back speakers? Or will you just rely on the front ones? Apparently Getz stock speakers (most car stock speakers really) are nothing special. I'd suggest just putting some nice speakers in the doors. Before you go to buy them check if the stocks are 6x6 or 6x9 then go have a look what you can buy.

If you're keen on sound quality you should even go for splits in the doors. It's likely you'll need to do a tiny bit of modification but nothing that can't be fixed without some plywood and a jigsaw to make housings for it!

I see you're in Perth, I'd suggest the JB Hi-Fi on Scarb Beach rd if it's anywhere near you. I've been there quite a few times for me and mates and the sound system staff are extremely knowledgable (because most of them also install systems). If you don't have a mate who'll do it for you the staff there will generally be happy to install it for you (I was quoted $80 to have front speakers and CD tuner but didn't need them to do it).
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

12-05-2008 04:47 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Car Audio System
Well im getting door speakers put in and a new cd tuner, will see how that works out before i move onto getting back speakers. Thanks for the advice, i will contact you in the future with anything else :)
...there used to be a signature here :)
12-06-2008 01:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
You can probably do without the sub in the back of such a tiny car.

You may want to consider a set of decent 6x9 speakers in speaker boxes which would take up about half the space a 10" sub box would take. If you still want your storage space just install them in the sides of the car.

The trick to installing them in the side of the car is most speakers will give a better response when you have the correct amount of air behind them, if you're just sticking them in the body work you may get less base or muddy sound.
12-06-2008 04:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: