What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Xbox Live Networking Problems

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Xbox Live Networking Problems
Author: Message:
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Xbox Live Networking Problems
Big problem with my Xbox Live...

So this is how I have Xbox Live. Xbox 360 connected to my PC via ethernet cable. The computer is wirelessly connected to my router and allows Xbox to connect to Live via my pc as the bridge if you will. My broadband is supplied by Virgin Media.

Now I started a new job and took my own laptop. Used an ethernet able to connect to the router (from BT) to go online but it wouldn't recognise. Kept coming up with a little caution sign on the Network and Sharing Center, which after running dianogstics tells me to contact my ISP. So I call BT.

Man on the phone, tells me to fuck around with my IPv6 and IPv4 settings and eventually it worked. I told him about my Xbox Live set up and asked him if that'll fuck it up, his answer was "erm.. well lets just take this problem one at a time". Anyway, I got online at work. All was great.

Now I've got home, Live won't work. I called BT but because I have Virgin at home they refuse to help.

I have two problems and questions:

1. Can I sort Xbox Live?
2. Can I have it configured so I can just plug in and go online through the ethernet both at home and work?

Most important obviously, is Live. So you know, I know NOTHING of IPv6 and IPv4 so please be easy with me.

Help? Lol

Thanks, Inferno

This post was edited on 12-03-2008 at 06:18 PM by MC Inferno.
12-03-2008 06:15 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Xbox Live Networking Problems
quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
So this is how I have Xbox Live. Xbox 360 connected to my PC via ethernet cable. The computer is wirelessly connected to my router and allows Xbox to connect to Live via my pc as the bridge if you will. My broadband is supplied by Virgin Media.
Holy crap. I thought you'd copy and pasted that from a thread I made on a different forum. Everything in that paragraph is the same as me, even the ISP. :P

The problem with mine was that it stopped working suddenly, it couldn't detect the correct settings and IP address. I had to manually input the settings, which worked for a while, but then stopped.

I fixed the problem by connecting a long ethernet cable going from downstairs router to my Xbox 360 upstairs. It means you don't have to pay for an expensive wireless adapter for the console, it won't get disconnected and you don't need to have the PC on to connect. Much better. :)

I don't know the answer specifically to your problem but maybe my experience and resolution may help. :P
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-03-2008 06:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Xbox Live Networking Problems
Thanks Chris, but I need on the PC, my mum wouldn't allow it lol
12-03-2008 06:29 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Couldn't you just plug both your PC and the Xbox straight to the router? If there's only one ethernetport on the router, get a switch (cheap these days) so you will be able to connect both. That is assuming your ISP doesn't require you to do strange things on your PC before you can access the internet.

It would safe a lot of hassle of configuring you network bridge, and most importantly you don't have to turn on your PC to access Xbox Live.

EDIT: Should have read Chris' post, but still, why would you need the PC in between?

This post was edited on 12-03-2008 at 06:39 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-03-2008 06:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
Router is downstairs in my house, my pc and xbox in my room. And he router has to stay downstairs which is why its got to be like this. Plus, keeping the PC doesnt bother me, its on pretty much 24/7 anyway.
12-03-2008 06:44 PM
Wally

Thanks Vax <3

– / Male / Flag
Ok im gonna assume your using xp so what you do is make sure both systems are on and go to control panel> network and find your wireless connection right click on it and go properties and theres a tab up the top called sharing and in sharing tick the box that says"allow other network users to connect to this computers network connection" then what will (should) happen is it will have a conflict between your xboxes local connection which it should be, and change the ip to a static something like 192.168.0.1. Now your xbox is connected  your computers internet connection which is your wireless. After that i reccomend restarting your pc then on the xbox (after your pc has restarted) test the xbox live connection.

But be warned having your connection like this isnt really good you might randomly get disconnected at times from xbox live and lag like a b***h in game.

hope this helped :P

This post was edited on 12-04-2008 at 08:10 AM by Wally.
Careful don't summon the fail whale.
12-04-2008 08:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Set a static IP for your xbox and a different static IP for you pc. Connect pc to router wirelessly as you would normally, then go into Network and Sharing centre and select your PCs wireless and the ethernet port you xbox is connected to, right click > bridge. Make sure correct ports are forwarded to xbox aswell.

For detailed how to: Portward.com - Static IP on Xbox360

Portforward - Static IP address on PC

Forward 360 ports - Find your router, and select Xbox 360 on next page
[Image: jumbled.png]
12-04-2008 08:30 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by wally
Ok im gonna assume your using xp
quote:
Network and Sharing Center
xp has a Network and Sharing Center where?:P
how come when you set up a network right the first time you don't have these problems?

am I right in sating the network looks something like this
|xbox360|-----network bridge-------Computer(Ethernet)-----modem(wifi)-------isp----internet

could you post your ip configurations and do u use dhcp?

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

12-04-2008 08:50 AM
Wally

Thanks Vax <3

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Xbox Live Networking Problems
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
quote:
Originally posted by wally
Ok im gonna assume your using xp
quote:
Network and Sharing Center
xp has a Network and Sharing Center where?:P
how come when you set up a network right the first time you don't have these problems?

am I right in sating the network looks something like this
|xbox360|-----network bridge-------Computer(Ethernet)-----modem(wifi)-------isp----internet

could you post your ip configurations and do u use dhcp?

either way its the same shit.
Careful don't summon the fail whale.
12-04-2008 10:11 AM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
I'm not at home (at work again :() now, but when I get home, I'll post all those details.

... and yes, I am using Vista wally :P lol

Vista SP1 to be exact

EDIT: Home now, finally got BT to help :D Back on Live and according to the man on the phone, should work when I get to work tomorrow too :D Thanks all the help people!

This post was edited on 12-04-2008 at 06:54 PM by MC Inferno.
12-04-2008 10:29 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: