What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Does Live Messenger have chat encryption?

Does Live Messenger have chat encryption?
Author: Message:
transcend3nt

O.P. Does Live Messenger have chat encryption?
Hi all,

I am finding out the security features provided by Live Messenger/MSN Plus.

Just to double confirm my findings :

Live messenger does not provide encryption for :
  • Chat
  • VOIP
Any other I've missed out?

MSN Plus provides encryption for :
  • Chat logs
Any other I've missed out?

Thanks!
12-05-2008 01:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Does Live Messenger have chat encryption?
Yes, you are correct with both as far as I know.

Messenger Discovery has a feature to encrypting chat conversations, giving that the other contact also has Messenger Discovery with the option turned on.

You can read Jonathan Kay's reply to Live Messenger Text Conversation Encryption.

Please note: The correct name is Messenger Plus! Live (or Msg Plus! Live for short), not MSN Plus. The creator isn't associated with MSN or Microsoft.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-05-2008 02:12 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Does Live Messenger have chat encryption?
Messenger also doesn't encrypt the video stream transmission and it is easily recordable. Such features would degrade the overall quality. IMO adding such encryption features, in regards to both Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live, would bloat the software. Everyone already experiences delays due to the network transmission adding features that need to encrypt the data then decrypt it will cause "lag" so to speak.

From here on in; Windows Live Messenger will be referred to as WLM and Messenger Plus! Live will be referred to as Plus!.

WLM is not a service that should in any case be used within a corporate environment. There is very little control a Network Administrator has over the application as a hole. They cannot block the adding of external contacts which would mean data would have to be routed using an unencrypted network transmission protocol through the Microsoft Servers then to the external contacts ISP then to the contact themselves.

For instance Office Communicator 2007 is an internal service which relies on Active Directory and if I am not mistaken has the ability of allowing only domain accounts as contacts which means no external contacts can be added. Therefore encryption is not needed as everything transmitted is sent to a local server and routed accordingly.

I am not sure if this is where you were taking this thread but I thought I would add my two cents.

Note I have not setup Office Communicator yet therefore I am unsure if adding external clients is possible I would assume not.

12-05-2008 02:51 AM
transcend3nt

O.P. RE: RE: Does Live Messenger have chat encryption?
Yup, Office Communicator is the messenger suited for the coporate envionment. It is just that I am required to reinvent the well for my project.

Thanks for your comment..

quote:
Originally posted by matty
Messenger also doesn't encrypt the video stream transmission and it is easily recordable. Such features would degrade the overall quality. IMO adding such encryption features, in regards to both Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live, would bloat the software. Everyone already experiences delays due to the network transmission adding features that need to encrypt the data then decrypt it will cause "lag" so to speak.

From here on in; Windows Live Messenger will be referred to as WLM and Messenger Plus! Live will be referred to as Plus!.

WLM is not a service that should in any case be used within a corporate environment. There is very little control a Network Administrator has over the application as a hole. They cannot block the adding of external contacts which would mean data would have to be routed using an unencrypted network transmission protocol through the Microsoft Servers then to the external contacts ISP then to the contact themselves.

For instance Office Communicator 2007 is an internal service which relies on Active Directory and if I am not mistaken has the ability of allowing only domain accounts as contacts which means no external contacts can be added. Therefore encryption is not needed as everything transmitted is sent to a local server and routed accordingly.

I am not sure if this is where you were taking this thread but I thought I would add my two cents.

Note I have not setup Office Communicator yet therefore I am unsure if adding external clients is possible I would assume not.

This post was edited on 12-05-2008 at 03:05 AM by transcend3nt.
12-05-2008 03:04 AM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
RE: RE: Does Live Messenger have chat encryption?
quote:
Originally posted by matty

Matty I think your a bit wrong there.

The likes of skype encrypts chat with no lag.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/security/security/

So it M$ should spend a bit of time trying to figure that out.

It shouldnt be a job for an external plugin.

But on a side note:

http://www.secway.fr/us/products/simplite_msn/getsimp.php

That software will encrypt your convo providing the person your talking to has it.
12-10-2008 08:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: