What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Serious help. Hacked?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
Serious help. Hacked?
Author: Message:
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Serious help. Hacked?
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
format is the only way to be sure this machine will be trustworthy ever again.

but what if they wrote malicious code to the bios!1
Or in the firmware of your display?
12-10-2008 01:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
It is a Sub7 trojan. It allows a user to externally connect and perform actions on your computer. Removing the server application from the PC will resolve the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub7

wally please learn the difference between a virus and trojans. A virus spreads and deletes files. Trojans open backdoors to the computer (a server) to allow others to connect. The trojan does no harm nor infects files. There is no need to actually format and reinstall Windows in this case.

This post was edited on 12-10-2008 at 03:21 PM by matty.
12-10-2008 03:19 PM
Vimto

In and Out

32 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Serious help. Hacked?
I'm a complete dunce when it comes to computer tech talk!

But I think it's what matty said, I've just read up on that, sounds about right. It hasn't happened again yet.

:) Thanks again though!
And when your heart begins to bleed, your dead
and dead and dead indeed.
12-10-2008 04:16 PM
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by matty
The trojan does no harm nor infects files. There is no need to actually format and reinstall Windows in this case.

You have to be careful with that, a Trojan can act like a rootkit where the file is no longer visible to the user or many anti-virus/malware programs and still run in the background. In some cases formatting is usually the only option (without extensive work and specialized tools).

In this case, it's just someone screwing with you and the solution of removing Sub7 will work. But for a few good practices:

- Get a good antivirus program installed, If you want one for free check out Avast.
- A firewall is a must in this day and age. Software or Hardware, Most home router have a basic firewall built in and that is really all you need. Just make sure it's turned on and you are not in the DMZ.
- Be careful who you let play with your computer.

If you ever do run into a nasty bit of malware, Try malwarebytes to get rid of it.
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
12-11-2008 01:07 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Wally

Thanks Vax <3

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Serious help. Hacked?
quote:
Originally posted by matty
It is a Sub7 trojan. It allows a user to externally connect and perform actions on your computer. Removing the server application from the PC will resolve the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub7

wally please learn the difference between a virus and trojans. A virus spreads and deletes files. Trojans open backdoors to the computer (a server) to allow others to connect. The trojan does no harm nor infects files. There is no need to actually format and reinstall Windows in this case.

ok it doesnt have to be a sub7 trojan in particular sub7 is a rat program
(Remote Administration tool) there are alot of these applications not just sub7 and i never said she could have a trojan or a virus even though these kind of applications are trojans. i know the difference.:dodgy: some keyloggers which are in these rat programs are injected in critical system files and from the keylogger i know and use, it can be hidden from the task manager processes.  but yes deleting the server application will resolve the problem but even if you did, you will have to figure out what the server installer is because the server made from these applications can be binded with any file and look like anything out of the ordinary so i say just format. there are so many reasons why she should just format.

also wj's advice has my vote :)

This post was edited on 12-11-2008 at 06:56 AM by Wally.
Careful don't summon the fail whale.
12-11-2008 06:51 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: