What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » MP!L keys for Word's spell checker

MP!L keys for Word's spell checker
Author: Message:
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. MP!L keys for Word's spell checker
Having a spell checker to analyze your translation is very useful.
On the other hand, it sucks 'cause all the translation keys (word before the = sign) can't be skipped. So far! :D

That's because I spent some of my time adding all those keys and a few other words into a "dictionary", which can be added to Word and save your precious time when reviewing all those lines.

It works for Word 2007. Tell me if you test with others.

How to install:
  • Download the file
  • Extract the file wherever you want. Messenger Plus! Live translation's folder, for instance. (CookieRevised's advice)
  • Open Word 2007
  • Office Button > Word Options > Text Review > Customize Dictionaries > Add... > MPL.dic¹

Things you'd like to know:
  • It skips the spell check, but not the grammar check. You might want to disable it.
  • I intend to update it in the future, so keep an eye on this thread. (H)
  • This is meant to be used with all languages. That's why only few words (other then keys) where added.
    These words are keyboard keys and names that should not be translated, so all translations will contain them.
  • All help is welcome. A word is missing? Misspelled? Post here and I fix.
    Mods are able to edit my post. Therefore they are able to update the file too. ;) Feel free.

History:
01/04/09 - First release
02/03/09 - Added MP!L 4.80.356 keys

¹ Words may be different. My Office isn't in English.

.zip File Attachment: MPL.zip (8.71 KB)
This file has been downloaded 342 time(s).

This post was edited on 02-04-2009 at 12:17 AM by Chancer.
01-04-2009 02:41 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: MP!L keys for Word's spell checker
The path for XP is X:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\UProof ;)
01-04-2009 03:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: MP!L keys for Word's spell checker
Nice to know. Updated.
01-04-2009 03:20 AM
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
Today I added a few more keys.
I had forgotten this thread...

This post was edited on 02-03-2009 at 07:51 PM by Chancer.
02-03-2009 07:49 PM
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
Seems like a really nice tool. Thanks Chancer :)
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
02-03-2009 09:47 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I did something similar some long time ago, but without a dictionary like this. Because, since the words are in the dictionary they are seen as 'ok'; This means that if such a word exists in the value also, it won't be detected as 'wrong' (And you constantly need to update the dictionary for new versions <= reason why I quit using a dictionary like this... too lazy to update it :p)

What you can do is write a VBA script which simply ignores the key name, topics and comments, and which also ignores special stuff and characters and even convert some sentences so they can be checked for grammar too (eg: replacing "Messenger Plus! Live" with "it"). Unfortunatly I've lost the macro script I once wrote for this. Though, it would be relative easy to even make this as a standalone Windows script using a Word object. If I only had the time :D someone?

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
It works for Word 2007. Tell me if you test with others.
It should work for every version (even for other text editors too) since it is just a plane list of words, no special format.

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
[*]Extract the file at X:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof (Windows Vista) or X:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\UProof (Windows XP)

Directory highly depends on what your settings are. (but "UProof"? Shouldn't that be "Proof"). Anyways, best is to simply take a quick look in your Word settings to see where the dir is.

As a matter of fact, you can put it everywhere you like (eg: I suggest to put it in the Messenger Plus! languages folder!). Simply browse to it from within the dictionary settings and select the file and you're done. Also means that you can easly find it again and update it whenever it needs updating. ;)

------------

Anyways, thanks for posting this, might be handy. In fact I'll start using it too, couldn't hurt anyways.

This post was edited on 02-03-2009 at 10:29 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-03-2009 10:11 PM
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
What you can do is write a VBA script which simply ignores the key name, topics and comments, and which also ignores special stuff and characters and even convert some sentences so they can be checked for grammar too
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about VBA.

quote:
It should work for every version (even for other text editors too) since it is just a plane list of words, no special format.
I'm not so sure. OpenOffice.org dictionaries seemed to be a little more  complex.

quote:
Directory highly depends on what your settings are. (but "UProof"? Shouldn't that be "Proof"). Anyways, best is to simply take a quick look in your Word settings to see where the dir is.
That's what I did. But I liked your idea of placing together with the translations, as we can add any file from any folder as a dictionary.
02-04-2009 12:13 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: