What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Ctrl+I For Itallics

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Ctrl+I For Itallics
Author: Message:
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Ctrl+I For Itallics
While I find it bizarre that when you select a word and press ctrl+b, u or i the word does not stylize, but indents to the right slightly with a strange space beside it between the previously typed word (if any). When you press enter, the word(s) will show just as you told them to, except one type.

When I select a (group of) word(s) and press ctrl+i, the word(s) intent, but also disappear. And sure enough, when I send my message, all I see is blank text, as if I never wrote anything at all. All the ctrl+b and u work, but not i. This bug has actually been around for quite awhile now, and I'm surprised it has never been brought up (so I presume) or has not been fixed.

This post was edited on 02-24-2009 at 10:08 AM by Aardvark.
02-24-2009 09:05 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Joshua

.:The Best Brain:.

27 / Male / Flag
RE: Ctrl+I For Itallics
Confirmed, it also works like that on my computer.
02-24-2009 09:31 AM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
AFAIK, ctrl-i is not the shortcut to make text italic in messenger - I think it's a tab character or something. I also can't remember what the shortcut for italic is, and I don't have access to messenger atm so I can't check it.
[Image: signature.php]
02-24-2009 10:47 AM
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
It's Ctrl+T.
02-24-2009 11:15 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Ctrl+I For Itallics
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
It's Ctrl+T.
It is too. Thanks. But now my question would be why ctrl+t? And furthermore if it's actually ctrl+t, why have this weird function happening when you press ctrl+i? Wouldn't it make more sense make it ctrl+i instead? Or is there some reason why that cannot be done (I presume there is otherwise it would've been done in the first place)

EDIT: To add do that I would say Plus! inconsistent in how it shows text has been formatted. When I pressed ctrl+t, vertical bars appeared either side of the text to show it had been formatted. This is not the case when you format text using bold or underline. I notice strikeout gets vertical bars next to it. Why don't bold and underline get something? Just something minor I picked up on.

This post was edited on 02-24-2009 at 11:39 AM by Aardvark.
02-24-2009 11:19 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
But now my question would be why ctrl+t? And furthermore if it's actually ctrl+t, why have this weird function happening when you press ctrl+i? Wouldn't it make more sense make it ctrl+i instead? Or is there some reason why that cannot be done (I presume there is otherwise it would've been done in the first place)
Windows Live Messenger itself already uses Ctrl+I. Whatever happens when you press Ctrl+I is done by Live Messenger itself, not by Messenger Plus!. Since Microsoft has already taken Ctrl+I Patchou just took Ctrl+T, T being the second character in italic :).

quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
To add do that I would say Plus! inconsistent in how it shows text has been formatted. When I pressed ctrl+t, vertical bars appeared either side of the text to show it had been formatted. This is not the case when you format text using bold or underline. I notice strikeout gets vertical bars next to it. Why don't bold and underline get something?
What you press Ctrl+B / Ctrl+U / Ctrl+T / etc. Plus! will insert a special character, how this character is displayed depends on the font you're using, Plus! can't control this. I believe Plus! tries to use characters which won't display anything in most fonts so it won't look weird to people who don't use Plus! and receive the messages.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-24-2009 12:33 PM
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Ctrl+I For Itallics
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Since Microsoft has already taken Ctrl+I Patchou just took Ctrl+T, T being the second character in italic :).
Ah. Cleaver, I didn't think of that. What is it that messenger uses Ctrl+I for then? Just out of curiosity.

quote:
What you press Ctrl+B / Ctrl+U / Ctrl+T / etc. Plus! will insert a special character, how this character is displayed depends on the font you're using, Plus! can't control this. I believe Plus! tries to use characters which won't display anything in most fonts so it won't look weird to people who don't use Plus! and receive the messages.
Ah. Yes, this makes sense, I thought it would be this. Thinking back I actually remember Plus! did used to once upon a time insert really strange symbols when I formatted my sentences.
02-24-2009 12:39 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Control+I = Indent
02-24-2009 12:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Ctrl+I For Itallics
Suddenly...everything makes so much sense.
02-24-2009 12:46 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Ctrl+I For Itallics
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku in the third post in this thread :dodgy:
ctrl-i is not the shortcut to make text italic in messenger - I think it's a tab character or something
[Image: signature.php]
02-24-2009 03:23 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: