What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Virtual HDD Questions

Virtual HDD Questions
Author: Message:
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Virtual HDD Questions
Heya folks,

My trainer has asked me to bring in a Windows 2000 CD so that people can burn and install it on a VPC to test different updating procedures to XP etc from it. We will be doing all these testing procedures through Microsoft Virtual PC, and i was wondering, if i created a VHD of Windows 2000 on my computer would it work on any other computer regardless of their main pc's specs? So it would make it easier to give to my class mates.
...there used to be a signature here :)
05-12-2009 04:42 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Virtual HDD Questions
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Heya folks,

My trainer has asked me to bring in a Windows 2000 CD so that people can burn and install it on a VPC to test different updating procedures to XP etc from it. We will be doing all these testing procedures through Microsoft Virtual PC, and i was wondering, if i created a VHD of Windows 2000 on my computer would it work on any other computer regardless of their main pc's specs? So it would make it easier to give to my class mates.
This would work.

Although according to Microsoft's licencing terms, it's illegal, just so you know. :)
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
05-12-2009 04:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
It will work, but you won't be testing the most important thing: Drivers.

You're also updating to an windows version mostly unsupported by Microsoft. Windows 2000 and XP and not that different. If there's no specific need I don't see a reason to upgrade from 2000 to XP. Might as well wait for Windows 7, or not update at all.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-12-2009 05:07 PM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Virtual HDD Questions
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
This would work.

Although according to Microsoft's licencing terms, it's illegal, just so you know. :)
Were not going to be using a license, we won't even be using 2000, we will be updating to XP from the 2000 versions basically right after the installation of 2000 or in this case just updating the VHD. And in terms of legality my trainer stated its only illegal to not have a legit key code and to use it past the 30-day period with a cracked copy, this is not what we will be doing.

EDIT: Also as far as i'm aware my trainer will be providing us with a training use license that is provided to AICT for being a Gold Certified Partner etc etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
It will work, but you won't be testing the most important thing: Drivers.

You're also updating to an windows version mostly unsupported by Microsoft. Windows 2000 and XP and not that different. If there's no specific need I don't see a reason to upgrade from 2000 to XP. Might as well wait for Windows 7, or not update at all.
I understand that XP is nearly not supported, but the current Microsoft exams, which were all getting trained for are very heavily into XP and 2000. Hence the need to perform the upgrade, the main things we will be upgrading will include sysprep, unattended update/installation etc, so i was just curious if the VHD would work everywhere? I plan to also take a Windows 2000 Setup Disc with me in case though.

EDIT: These are all testing procedures because there are people out there that use the systems, we are just practicing for our exams and things like that, not for our own real world use, but to prepare for people that may use these systems.

This post was edited on 05-12-2009 at 05:21 PM by Eddie.
05-12-2009 05:16 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Ah, those kind of tests. Yeah, you should be fine on VHDs for that.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-12-2009 05:28 PM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Virtual HDD Questions
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Ah, those kind of tests. Yeah, you should be fine on VHDs for that.
Sweet, thanks for that, now i can go to bed and not stress about it :)
05-12-2009 05:44 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Virtual HDD Questions
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
This would work.

Were not going to be using a license, we won't even be using 2000, we will be updating to XP from the 2000 versions basically right after the installation of 2000 or in this case just updating the VHD. And in terms of legality my trainer stated its only illegal to not have a legit key code and to use it past the 30-day period with a cracked copy, this is not what we will be doing.

I know this applies to XP, but not 2000, as far as I'm aware. 2000 won't let you install without a serial key, but has no activation. (And if you're using an Upgrade-Only version of XP then you need a valid copy of 2000 for each copy of XP).

quote:
EDIT: Also as far as i'm aware my trainer will be providing us with a training use license that is provided to AICT for being a Gold Certified Partner etc etc.
This should probably be fine then.

This post was edited on 05-12-2009 at 08:00 PM by andrewdodd13.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
05-12-2009 08:00 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: