What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » receiving ads

receiving ads
Author: Message:
zpupster

O.P. receiving ads
hello,

first timer here.
today i received an ad with my wife's name as the one who im'd me.
i wonder how they did that, but more important i want to stop that from
happenning again.

any suggestions?

zpupster
05-14-2009 11:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: receiving ads
It's most likely a virus.

It could be done in two ways...

1: Somehow your wife's password was captured. The spam is sent from a remote computer which logged in with you wife's account. This may be because she signed in with her Messenger account on a phishing site. In that case all that's really required to stop it is changing your (your wife's) password, the answer to the secret question, and alternative e-mail address. When they have your password the have full control over your account, so they could have changed the secret question and such as a backdoor to get control back when you change the password. You can change all that through https://account.live.com/. If you use the same password for other accounts it's also advised to change those passwords too.

2: The other possibility is there is a virus installed on your wife's computer which locks in to Messenger. When your wife is online the spam messages are sent without her seeing it. Do a virusscan with a good up-to-date virusscanner and a spyware scanner. If something is found you could try to let the protection software remove it, or remove it manually. But once a virus gets in your system there is no way of being 100% sure it is removed completely. It's usually simpler to backup your documents and restore the OS using the system restore CDs that came with the PC, or do a fresh installation of Windows. Remember to fully update windows after a fresh installation or system restore.
Not everybody will agree with removing the OS after a virus infection. I might sound paranoid, but I gave up on trying to remove a virus and hoping there's nothing left hiding somewhere in the system. Especially on machines where there aren't that much apps installed anyway and re-installing everything won't take days.

So to be short: At a minimum do a virus scan, and change the  password, the answer to the secret question, and make sure the alternative e-mail address belongs to you.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-14-2009 11:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: