What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » Skin Requests » SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE!

SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE!
Author: Message:
Jstnfox

O.P. Shocked  SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE!
I know it takes alot of time and effort because you have to change codes & stuff but seriously what is taking so long? Here are some of the skins that URGENTLY need to be updated to WLM 9 Compatibility and I mean URGENTLY. Please if you know some of the creators of these skins please could you try to motivate them or help them out to get these updated.

1. Deep Blue - Added Sep 14th 2008
2. Martique III - Added Aug 13th 2008
3. Live Etoile - Added Aug 18th 2008
4. SkyLines - Added Sep 6th 2008
5. Fabiox - Added Sep 14th 2008
6. Zero-G - Added Mar 27th 2008
7. Apple Live Messenger - Added Aug 10th 2008
8. Iphone Skin - Added Aug 13th 2008

There are plenty more also but these are the ones that were most popular. I know I love all of them and pray that someone reads this post and gets the message.

As you can also see by the list there was an influx of new skins between AUG-SEP 2008. So why has it come to a virtual halt?

WE NEED MORE SKINS. Why not try something new also like making the skins animated (Is that possible?)
05-26-2009 02:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
RE: SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE!
I'm not a skin creator, but have tryed to make little things.... Don't forget that skins are not easy to make (specialy if it's a "big" project) and creators may have work/study/other problems on their life
;)
Anyway... just making a point

This post was edited on 05-26-2009 at 02:56 PM by MicroWay.
05-26-2009 02:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jstnfox
As you can also see by the list there was an influx of new skins between AUG-SEP 2008. So why has it come to a virtual halt?
Skinning hasn't come to a virtual halt, they are being created in the same pase as always. But during that period in 2008 there was a skinning contest to advertise the new skinning engine. Hence the big increase in skins being released and rereleased (as some already existed but got an update for the contest) during august and september.

---

In regards to updating skins for WLM2009: As Microway said, making (decent) skins isn't easy and takes a lot of work and a lot of dedication. All skinners are people who still go to school, have work, etc. And skinning is done as a hobby.

---

Animation isn't possible AFAIK in skins. Though it might be a interesting idea for Patchou to look into.

This post was edited on 05-26-2009 at 03:36 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-26-2009 03:32 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
what is taking so long?
Not all skins will be updated to Messenger 2009. In fact, most skins in the DB which aren't updated yet at this point might never be updated at all.

Updating a skin from 8.5 or older to 2009 can take almost as much work as creating an entire new skin. Microsoft change a lot to how 2009 works, at the surface you don't see as much changes as when you get into skinning.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Skinning hasn't come to a virtual halt, they are being created in the same pase as always. But during that period in 2008 there was a skinning contest to advertise the new skinning engine. Hence the big increase in skins being released and rereleased (as some already existed but got an update for the contest) during august and september.
quote:
Please if you know some of the creators of these skins please could you try to motivate them or help them out to get these updated.
Time for a new contest :banana:
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-26-2009 06:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Toxn

113 / Male / Flag
quote:

6. Zero-G - Added Mar 27th 2008

Willz said he was creating Zero G 3
Zero G 3
No problem
05-26-2009 07:52 PM
Jstnfox

O.P. RE: SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE!
YES We need a new contest!
05-26-2009 09:52 PM
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
I think there's a new contest planned very soon. Check the announcements ;)
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
05-26-2009 10:00 PM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
I think there's a new contest planned very soon. Check the announcements ;)
Wasn't that about movies and animation?
[Image: Empty.png]
05-26-2009 10:43 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Animation isn't possible AFAIK in skins. Though it might be a interesting idea for Patchou to look into.

In it's current stage no its not, but resource animations do exist and they are mainly just multi-indexed pngs.

For custom animated images to be a reality Messenger Plus! would have to introduce something to manage the images and how they are triggered or used.

But yeah, I don't really think its worth it just because there isn't much practical use to it. Messenger 9 just has too much constraints to bother making that kind of thing. I'd much rather see the reload feature come in :P

Anyway just because someone makes a thread saying these skins need to be updated doesn't mean it will happen. People have lives etc and skinning Messenger 9 takes longer than it did in 8.5. Its more involved so I think that's why people aren't going for it. Nobody is obligated to update their skins if they don't have the time.

This post was edited on 05-28-2009 at 08:29 AM by Willz.
05-28-2009 08:05 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: