What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Finding a window and stopping it from displaying

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Finding a window and stopping it from displaying
Author: Message:
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Finding a window and stopping it from displaying
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
You can't DestroyWindow() another program's window:

quote:
MSDN - DestroyWindow() Function
A thread cannot use DestroyWindow to destroy a window created by a different thread.

Please nicely send WM_CLOSE message to that window and let it decide whether to close or not :p

Yeah, I saw that when I was looking at the function, but I didn't really think about it :(

Anyway, it now closes properly. Thanks for your help :)
06-19-2009 07:33 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Finding a window and stopping it from displaying
erm... isn't there an option to not show that small popup window to begin with?
Or at least an option that it closes automatically once it popped up.

I don't have the time atm to find out, but from what I remember from using the small WMP toolbar it simply popped up that small window when you start to play something and closes again a few seconds. And you could also set it to permanently show that small windows, so.....

but I might remember incorrectly though...

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp
The reason why I want to get rid of it is because when I change tracks in WMP, it pops up.

I need to read better... :$

anyways, it only pops up for 2 seconds so I don't see the real problem, but meh...

This post was edited on 06-19-2009 at 09:46 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-19-2009 09:41 AM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
anyways, it only pops up for 2 seconds so I don't see the real problem, but meh...

Well, when I'm using a full-screen CD Art Display skin, it's very annoying when a tiny little window pops up with the same information that's being displayed over the whole screen anyway. I really hope WMP11 gives us more control over this toolbar...
06-19-2009 10:00 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The toolbar should only show up when WMP is minimized.

Or maybe don't use the small wmp toolbar? dunno...
(You can disable it by right clicking on the Windows toolbar and unticking Windows Media Player in the Toolbars submenu)

Or skin the wmp toolbar too (so it doesn't/can't show the small pop up)...

blah, probably stuff you already know though :p
06-19-2009 10:08 AM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
Yeah, well the WMP toolbar has the annoying habit to immediately pop up that fly-out whenever you move your mouse over it, and then there is no way to quickly close it again, you simply have to wait those 2 to 3 seconds. Very annoying when you're running Firefox maximized and want to click an icon of an addon in the browser's statusbar when suddenly... WMP! :P
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
06-19-2009 01:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Matti
Yeah, well the WMP toolbar has the annoying habit to immediately pop up that fly-out whenever you move your mouse over it, and then there is no way to quickly close it again, you simply have to wait those 2 to 3 seconds. Very annoying when you're running Firefox maximized and want to click an icon of an addon in the browser's statusbar when suddenly... WMP! :P
lol, I have that with Messenger toasts ALL the time, hehehe.... At the most inconvenient moment somebody always thinks it is fun the sign in, sign out, sign in, sign out... or to start zapping thru their playlist (I realy need to disable the notification for media updates from certain people :p)....

Anyways, I'm not into skinning, but you can make your own WMP skins, no? If that is the case, can't you make a skin where the fly-out is disabled or something (or is only 1px big or whatever)?

Thinking of it... You ask for a API to use in a Plus! script to hook that window so you can close that window. But what about creating your own (very little) addon for WMP which simply does the same thing? In that way, you don't need Plus! to do the job, and you will always be certain that the hook is loaded when you run WMP, even if you don't run Messenger, etc...
06-19-2009 10:41 PM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Anyways, I'm not into skinning, but you can make your own WMP skins, no? If that is the case, can't you make a skin where the fly-out is disabled or something (or is only 1px big or whatever)?

I replaced the image with an empty file, here's the results:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=966245]

I thought something like this would happen :P

quote:
Thinking of it... You ask for a API to use in a Plus! script to hook that window so you can close that window. But what about creating your own (very little) addon for WMP which simply does the same thing? In that way, you don't need Plus! to do the job, and you will always be certain that the hook is loaded when you run WMP, even if you don't run Messenger, etc...

I do like this idea, but how would I do that? Do I need to build my own DLL? What language does it use?

.png File Attachment: onoes.png (10.83 KB)
This file has been downloaded 259 time(s).

This post was edited on 06-19-2009 at 11:09 PM by ryxdp.
06-19-2009 11:06 PM
foaly

37 / Male / Flag
normally this is really easy to do with autohotkey,
but from what I tried it doesn't seem to find the window...
see for example this forum post on how to prevent a window from opening:
http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic13330.html&h...ght=window+blocker
06-20-2009 10:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I guess simply removing the background image isn't enough because the window is still created and all. This is much like Plus!-skinning or any other skinning. You probably need to remove (or hide) other elements as well.

Everything about WMP plugins, including examples how to create them, Visual Studio Plugin Wizard explanation, etc, can be found on MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa393415.aspx
There are several types of plugins you can create.

Thousands of plugins (maybe already something which you can use, or look in to as an example) can be found on http://www.wmplugins.com/.
06-22-2009 06:22 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: