What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Design help please peeps :)

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Design help please peeps :)
Author: Message:
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: Design help please peeps :)
quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
You need a small thin, plain font.
That was an example :chrongue:

Your font is definitely not small or thin, nor plain with that glow around it

----

Anyway, I meant something like this:

[Image: penisffs.png]

That's not the exact font I'd use but you get the idea, blank space used for images, space in middle used for price/contact or something. Also, no u can not has cheezeburger this, be a man and come up with your own.

This post was edited on 07-22-2009 at 09:50 PM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
07-22-2009 09:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
quote:
Also, why are you only going 10mph on your speedo, that hardly says fast service

Because he just searched Google Images for "speedometer".
07-22-2009 09:48 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
quote:
Also, why are you only going 10mph on your speedo, that hardly says fast service

Because he just searched Google Images for "speedometer".
figures, still, at least edit it : <
[Image: jumbled.png]
07-22-2009 09:51 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
If I may give a few pointers, speaking from experience (we need to make promotion every couple of months do reach a couple of thousand of people to promote theater plays and other activities regarding theater in a professional way):

You now already how the eye candy (with the logo and stuff), what you need now is nothing too fancy at all, a simple plain white-ish font. eg: Arial or the likes is more than good enough... Don't use black text on a white boxed background! Not with that design of a dark flyer and on glossy paper. It would be harder to read than white text on the already existing black background,

A flyer mostly needs to be readable and to-the-point. Nobody is going to read a flyer with a lot of text or a hard to read font. A flyer can of course be a piece of art, but the most important thing is the actual information on it.

---

Dunno what your business-plan is, but do actually have the money to make let's say 500 of such high quality flyers in full-color on thick glossy paper?

It may be far more sensible to make a flyer with less colors (eg: 3 colors; you could mix colors -the actual dots- if you make raster images instead) and less quality of paper (thinner, not glossy), but in a bigger quantity so you can actually reach more people for the same amount of money.

I dunno where you are going to distribute your flyers, but I can imagine it is in local stores, on the street, gas stations, on the counter, etc... For that you need hundreds of flyers as it makes little sense to simply put 5 flyers on the counter each time. You need a nice pile, like at least 20/25 per counter. So, if you want to distribute them in a couple of stores and then also on the street you'll need a lot of flyers. Meaning it will cost a lot if you have them all in such a high quality.

Remember that from the 20 flyers you distribute, only maybe 1 is actually read and 'used'. On the street this ratio is even far more lower.

So, making a big quantity of low quality flyers makes more sense. And with the money you safe from that (compared to high quality flyers), you could make some high quality posters to hang in stores and maybe a billboard or five to put in your own garden and in the garden of family and friends. Those will reach a lot more people and will get the attention of a lot more people, also from people who simply pass by...

And last but not least, I dunno how it is in the uk, but here in Belgium you can't flyer on the street just like that (it is seen as polluting in some cities). Of course it is done all over the place, but you need to be careful that the people you give a flyer to don't just throw it away on the streets. Also flyering on festivals and other events may not always be legal without having the permission of the organizers of those activities.

And it is in some countries mandatory to have the address and name of the responsible publisher on the flyer (small print), thus in this case, you.

---
quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
[2]
[3]
This is indeed a very good point. There are lots of things you need to take into account when designing a logo.Just 'looking' shiny isn't enough. What does the logo actually say? Does it show what the service/company is about? Are there things which actually go against its service-plan (like the low speed - but do not overdo it either like showing max speed on the meter, be realistic. Make it like 70 or 80 for example. Also because the 70/80 is in the right upper corner, which is unconscientsly better than having an arrow pointing downwards)....

---

good luck though ;)

if there was some service like that here, carwash at your doorstep, I would surely use it as I'm a very lazy car-washer (like most people?)... actually I almost never wash my car at all, maybe once a year :D
Damn, this post is maybe one or two words longer than I anticipated :p

This post was edited on 07-22-2009 at 10:22 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-22-2009 10:13 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Design help please peeps :)
Rofl cookie, I come back to see your back with your uber long posts :D.

I've read it all and taken it in, however:
I won't be handing out randomly I will be talking to the people first, and getting their attention. I will be using them to put into local chippys and shops etc. I'll also place inbetween wipers in cars. So the ratio of waste I presume will be a lot lower.

I did however not think about the colour thingy. I have found a few websites charging £70 for 500 flyers at a standard rate, so I didn't think I needed to take this into account.

Thirdly Yeah I didn't notice that, as eljay found out using his amazing google skills that it's just edited :P I couldn't make one that stylish. I'll change that :).

Vax, you are amazing. That style is sick, i love what you did down the center, so simple yet sleek!

Thank you <3

EDIT: Actually, Vax, how does it look with alot bigger text? because that's too small and I want people to read it :)

And yeah, I hopefully found a niche in the local market where i take into consideration the lazy people, and how it's more convienent :)

This post was edited on 07-22-2009 at 10:36 PM by Nathan.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

07-22-2009 10:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
:p

Yeah, paper thickness, paper finish (glossy, etc), colors, format, recto-verso, ... it all counts in price. So be carefull with comparing prices and always ask what is included or not.

You can also use the backside of the flyer to have the 'small print' on it, or put some long legal text or whatever (costs of course also more). The front should be like just a few catch phreases...

Putting a nice picture on it of yourself (and your team?) washing a car always works too (as long as it is a nice professional looking photo of course), it makes it more personal and people can then put a face on the business. This is always a good thing... (unless you look like a hobo :p)

Oh, and actually be carefull with 'glossy' paper. It often is too shiny to read something on, especially in well lit areas. It might be better if you choose semi-glossy or just non-glossy. (I forgot the name of the type we always use on our flyers and booklets, it is not glossy, but also isn't plain normal but something in between; it doesn't reflect but still looks extremely well and colors still come alive).

PS: that speedo meter picture seems to be licensed as "attribution work" (you must give credits) and "non-commercial use only" ... so be carefull as you business is obviously commercial...

This post was edited on 07-22-2009 at 11:03 PM by CookieRevised.
07-22-2009 10:55 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Design help please peeps :)
Yeah I know about gsm and glossy etc, but they never mentioned the colours. Yeah it costs double for the backside, regardless of what's on the back, so I'll forget that :D.

No pictures :), and it's only me to begin with. more profits then :D
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

07-22-2009 10:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
a simple plain white-ish font. eg: Arial or the likes is more than good enough
I would say to not use Arial, but a font LIKE Arial. People recognize fonts, and if they see a font they use everyday, it doesn't seem as professional.

I tend to use Frutiger or Myriad for stuff like this.

Oh, and do a mockup of the entire logo centered, instead of the speedometer centered.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6545 days, 8 hours, 44 minutes, 7 seconds ago.

07-23-2009 01:26 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Design help please peeps :)
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
a simple plain white-ish font. eg: Arial or the likes is more than good enough
People recognize fonts, and if they see a font they use everyday, it doesn't seem as professional.
Well, I completely disagree.

Believe me that a typeface like Arial, or the likes, eg: Tahoma and other standard fonts used by Windows, is used in 99,99% of all professional promotion for the normal text. Maybe not Arial or Tahoma exactly, but fonts which are extremely similar, regular, without any fancy ding dongs.

In the real world 99% of all people will not reconize fonts by name at all, they simply see a normal easy readable font. If you ask 100 people on the street if something is in Arial or in Tahoma, almost everybody will look at you like "wtf are you saying?".

We're not talking about web stuff or other PC/IT things we, as geeks for the lack of a better word, come in contact with daily and maybe find 'old', 'already done' or 'not original' or 'hey I reconize that font'. These are not skins or fancy looking web 2.0 websites or whatever, but real world promotion which goes by a different set of rules than the online world or than the world we as geeks are used to.

There is a very good reason why most promotional text is made easy to read, simple and plain in a basic font. Such fonts are used just because they are easly reconized and people are used to it and such texts are read faster than texts in other fonts.

So, using a basic standard Windows font or not hasn't got anything todo with looking professional or not. What you can not forget is that the information is the most important thing here together with the kind of product you want to promote and above all who your target audience is.

And it is that which defines if something is done in a professional way or not, everything must fit together. You're not promoting a designers label or an art gallery or a fancy looking website or something to IT'ers, designers or geeks who reconize the differences between Arial and Tahome miles away.

I know it is very tempting to make something arty farty, being computer literate and being handy with photoshop and all, but that will only backfire if you overdo it.

got a bit caried away (again) :p

This post was edited on 07-23-2009 at 03:08 AM by CookieRevised.
07-23-2009 02:53 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
If it's a flyer then you'll definitely need much larger text, there's nothing wrong with a simplified flyer (i.e. no colour, short, concise text with like standard font centering etc.) if it's not a professional business. The last thing you want customers doing is driving over thinking it's some top-end car maintenance shop (or even worse: thinking that it's beyond their league) if it's not.

I'm not sure what your business strategy is, whether it's cost leadership (low prices) or product differentiation ("we show your car love which you can't get elsewhere, or do some sort of special vacuuming which other places don't") but that's what you need to show on your flyer, information about the service and your contact details. Don't make it wordy, most customers aren't going to be calling you because your flyer looks awesome but because they see a service being offered which they need/value.

I don't think there's any need to make an elaborate over-the-top flyer, all of Cookie's advice sounds good (to me anyway :P).

This post was edited on 07-23-2009 at 08:50 AM by Volv.
07-23-2009 08:45 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: