What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Is it worth upgrading from WinXP to Win7?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Is it worth upgrading from WinXP to Win7?
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. Cool  Is it worth upgrading from WinXP to Win7?
Hi all, I'm running WinXP Pro SP3 in a 2001 Dell PC, no complaints, everything stable and fine. I ran the Win7 Upgrade Advisor tool from Microsoft and it reports that my system is Win7 compatible. (32-bit version). Will Win7 run faster in my system than XP to make it a worthwile upgrade? I guess that the only answer to that is actually testing it, but maybe someone here already tested Win7 in old PC's originally meant for XP and provide some feedback.

This post was edited on 07-25-2009 at 11:20 PM by alegator.
07-25-2009 11:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Is it worth upgrading from WinXP to Win7?
the point of upgrading isn't to make your system faster, it's for security/reliability/new features... windows XP isn't supported by microsoft anymore :p

that being said, there are many areas of win7 where speed *has* been improved (like boot times) but there are generally much better reasons to upgrade :p
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
07-25-2009 11:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: RE: Is it worth upgrading from WinXP to Win7?
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
the point of upgrading isn't to make your system faster, it's for security/reliability/new features... windows XP isn't supported by microsoft anymore :p

that being said, there are many areas of win7 where speed *has* been improved (like boot times) but there are generally much better reasons to upgrade :p

Yes, I know that Win7 provides new features/reliability/better securiity compared to XP, that's the idea behind upgrading. But if all that will come at the expense of a much slower performance (specific to my system) then it might not be worth it, specially since as I said I'm having no issues with XP.
As far as official support for XP, Microsoft will keep releasing security patches for XP until 2011 (at least that's what I read).
07-25-2009 11:44 PM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
windows XP isn't supported by microsoft anymore
quote:
Originally posted by Microsoft
We plan to provide support for Windows XP until 2014.
*checks date8-)

sources: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-xp/future.aspx

This post was edited on 07-25-2009 at 11:52 PM by Jarrod.

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

07-25-2009 11:50 PM
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: RE: RE: Is it worth upgrading from WinXP to Win7?
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
quote:

Yes, I know that Win7 provides new features/reliability/better securiity compared to XP, that's the idea behind upgrading. But if all that will come at the expense of a much slower performance (specific to my system) then it might not be worth it, specially since as I said I'm having no issues with XP.
As far as official support for XP, Microsoft will keep releasing security patches for XP until 2011 (at least that's what I read).

Perhaps you would be better off sticking to XP for now, and then switching to 7 when you get a new computer. That's what I did.

This post was edited on 07-25-2009 at 11:57 PM by segosa.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
07-25-2009 11:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
quote:
windows XP isn't supported by microsoft anymore
quote:
Originally posted by Microsoft
We plan to provide support for Windows XP until 2014.
*checks date8-)

sources: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-xp/future.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173

mainstream support is over :p
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
07-26-2009 12:10 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: RE: RE: RE: Is it worth upgrading from WinXP to Win7?
quote:
Originally posted by segosa
quote:
quote:

Perhaps you would be better off sticking to XP for now, and then switching to 7 when you get a new computer. That's what I did.
Yes, I plan on getting a new Win7 PC anyway. After 8 years with the same PC I guess I deserve it! :cownana:

This post was edited on 07-26-2009 at 12:55 AM by alegator.
07-26-2009 12:45 AM
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Is it worth upgrading from WinXP to Win7?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by segosa
quote:
quote:

Yes, I plan on getting a new Win7 PC anyway. After 8 years with the same PC I guess I deserve it! :cownana:

Out of interest, what spec is your current PC?
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
07-26-2009 01:19 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
I installed the Windows 7 RC on my laptop some time ago, and the only problems/annoyances I ran into so far are some older games and programs that don't work anymore (like with any other OS upgrade, especially when it's not final yet), and the inability to install unsigned drivers without changing boot options and removing some watermarks from the desktop.
Also, like in Vista, I'm missing the option to remove the Ease of Access button from the logon screen (Me and my housemates like to mess with each others' laptops from time to time). For now I disabled it using a 3rd party tool. It's not like this is a huge problem though :P

Overall, I think it's a huge improvement over Vista, but it lacks the "freedom" XP had compared to Vista (drivers story amongst others). I guess this is part of the improved security it's supposed to have.

EDIT: Also, I can finally use the 4GB of ram I paid for when buying this laptop. It came with 32bit Vista, which I downgraded to XP right away.

This post was edited on 07-26-2009 at 01:37 AM by Jesus.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
07-26-2009 01:33 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
how can Windows7 be more reliable/secure than any other Windows OS?
07-26-2009 01:36 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: