What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » PC wont start Windows Vista

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
PC wont start Windows Vista
Author: Message:
Supa907

O.P. PC wont start Windows Vista
I am having computer troubles and a good friend of mine told me this was a great place to get help.

While recently playing video games on my PC(Vista), the said game crashes and my computer would not allow me to launch any other games.

"Ok i said to myself, i'll just restart", but after i went to restart my computer loaded the basic mobo message and ect, and when the "loading windows" bar finished i was expecting to be greeted with the Windows Vista logo, but oh no.

I found my screen to be black. I tired safemode but it went to a black screen aswell leading me to believe either my power supply, graphics card, or mobo might be blown. I've tried taking the graphics card out and waiting for the mobo error beeps, but none came.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
07-26-2009 05:40 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: PC wont start Windows Vista
quote:
Originally posted by Supa907
I've tried taking the graphics card out and waiting for the mobo error beeps, but none came.

if you get as far as "loading windows" then it's not (likely to be) a hardware issue and there will be no beeps :p
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
07-26-2009 05:51 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I had a similar issue when I messed around with dual boot. As far as I remember, simply running chkdsk a few times on the disk "fixed" it, so that I could get into Vista.

But yeah, it might be something else entirely of course, as you haven't done anything similar. When loading safe mode, does the list of stuff it loads appear, or is it just instantly black?
[Image: signature.php]
07-26-2009 06:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Supa907

O.P. RE: PC wont start Windows Vista
When I try to start in safe mode it gives me a black screen aswell, the only difference is that i can see my mouse pointer with a dark black screen. I've also tried resetting bios setting to their original settings. Is there a way I can run a full system restore even though i cant enter windows or safe mode? I have the original discs. Also another thing, everything in the computer starts up and runs, except the 2 fans that came stock with my computer case. Could this mean its the power supply? Maybe its preventing my graphics card from starting? Or maybe it's windows itself thats messed up. Any further input would be greatly appreciated.
07-26-2009 09:04 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Try booting off the CD, if that works then it's a problem with your Windows installation, if not then it's likely hardware.
[Image: jumbled.png]
07-26-2009 09:47 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
Have you force restarted?

Once there was an energy outage while I was reading some stuff, and when the energy came back, I had that very same problem. Turned up the energy outage messed up with Vista's files, and Vista would only show the loading part, no orb, even in safe mode.
The majority of files were recovered using my spare Ubuntu LiveCD I've got here =P, and then I just bought a new HD as the old one wasn't enough for that time...

Why don't you try to boot off the CD, as vaccination suggested? If it works, your Vista installation was messed up, if it doesn't, it's a hardware failure, like faulty HD or RAM.

This post was edited on 07-26-2009 at 04:23 PM by blessedguy.
[Image: Empty.png]
07-26-2009 01:05 PM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
If you have your Vista DVD, boot from it and click "Repair your computer".
Try the automatic repair option. If that doesn't work, the try a system restore from the DVD.
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
07-26-2009 03:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Supa907

I've tried putting the disc in and repairing, but its like ignoring the disc. I went to bios and made sure the disc was the first thing to boot but its just not booting.

I guess its a good time to update to a 1T HDD  :l . Another question, if i wanted to test if it was all the HDD's fault, a friend of mine has a PC with basically the same spec's as me, could i take his HDD and test it in my pc? I just dont wanna lay $100+ down to just find out it wasnt the problem. Thanks for all the input so far  :)
07-27-2009 01:20 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
I've tried putting the disc in and repairing, but its like ignoring the disc. I went to bios and made sure the disc was the first thing to boot but its just not booting.

is it a properly burned disk? have you tried using your bios' boot menu?
quote:
if i wanted to test if it was all the HDD's fault, a friend of mine has a PC with basically the same spec's as me, could i take his HDD and test it in my pc?

yes (since vista anyway), but that's a LOT of work to rule out a problem that is pretty unlikely to begin with :p
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
07-27-2009 02:48 AM
Supa907

Well, after testing to see if my video card worked (which it does) in a friends PC, i went out and bought a brand new 1T Hard Drive. I secured the hard drive in place in my pc, hooked up the SATA and power cables, and turned my PC on hoping to see a setup wizard of such.

Instead i was greeted by a "No hard drive inserted please insert one" message of the sort. i went into my Bios and it didn't show a hard drive installed even though it was spinning. I restarted again and went into Bios to now find that it had detected my Hard Drive, so i exited Bios and tried to set it up hoping it would fix my problem, but then again it said it couldn't find the hard drive. I tried going in again and connecting different SATA cables to the drive, but the same message every time, my mobo is detecting the drive on and off just like it has been doing with my old HDD, I'm thinking the Mother Board is busted.

Input?
07-31-2009 07:42 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: