What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » PC wont start Windows Vista

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
PC wont start Windows Vista
Author: Message:
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: PC wont start Windows Vista
..Have you installed an OS on your new HDD yet? The bios doesn't just come up with a "wizard" when you put in a blank HDD =p
[Image: jumbled.png]
07-31-2009 09:42 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: PC wont start Windows Vista
quote:
Originally posted by Supa907
I guess its a good time to update to a 1T HDD  :l . Another question, if i wanted to test if it was all the HDD's fault, a friend of mine has a PC with basically the same spec's as me, could i take his HDD and test it in my pc? I just dont wanna lay $100+ down to just find out it wasnt the problem. Thanks for all the input so far  :)
There is a very small chance it could work but I highly doubt it. I assume you are talking about taking his HDD, putting it in your computer and then booting into Windows.

quote:
Instead i was greeted by a "No hard drive inserted please insert one" message of the sort. i went into my Bios and it didn't show a hard drive installed even though it was spinning. I restarted again and went into Bios to now find that it had detected my Hard Drive, so i exited Bios and tried to set it up hoping it would fix my problem, but then again it said it couldn't find the hard drive. I tried going in again and connecting different SATA cables to the drive, but the same message every time, my mobo is detecting the drive on and off just like it has been doing with my old HDD, I'm thinking the Mother Board is busted.

Input?
Your motherboard is perfectly fine. This is what should be happening. You will need to go into the bios and set your CD Drive as your primary boot drive. Now you need to insert your Windows CD into the drive and when you see a screen that says something along the lines of "Press any key to continue.. / boot from CD" (Can't remember) press a key and this will start you off in reinstalling Windows.

Something has obviously corrupted the data on your old HDD which is causing these problems.
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
07-31-2009 10:35 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Your motherboard is perfectly fine. This is what should be happening.
Actually, it's not.
If you read what Supa907 posted, you would have seen this:
quote:
my mobo is detecting the drive on and off
This is definitely not what should be happening. The BIOS should always detect the HDD regardless of whether it is formatted or not. How can you possibly install an OS on a HDD if the BIOS doesn't detect it properly?
Supa907, you said you tried different cables and HDDs, which is good. However, I can't tell by your post if you tried different SATA ports on your motherboard as well. If other SATA ports give you the same problem, the SATA controller on your motherboard is probably broken. If other ports do work, it's likely just one specific port which has a loose contact or something like that.

This post was edited on 07-31-2009 at 11:12 AM by Jesus.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
07-31-2009 11:11 AM
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
I know what he said but to be honest I am assuming he doesn't know much about what he is doing (which is why he is asking here) and I have given him my response. Once he finally gets the OS installed I doubt he will have any more issues.

What I think what he is talking about is he got the error message "Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key". He reboots and hops into the bios and finds that his drive is connected. He now exits the bios and gets the same error message "Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key".

This post was edited on 07-31-2009 at 12:44 PM by Phillip.
07-31-2009 11:29 AM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
..Have you installed an OS on your new HDD yet? The bios doesn't just come up with a "wizard" when you put in a blank HDD =p
But it comes up with a "No Operational System currently installed" message :chrongue: (edit: or depends on the manufactor?)

This post was edited on 07-31-2009 at 09:42 PM by blessedguy.
[Image: Empty.png]
07-31-2009 03:03 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: PC wont start Windows Vista
quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
But it comes up with a "No Operational System currently installed" message :chrongue:
Actually it comes up with
quote:
"Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key"
07-31-2009 09:36 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
But it comes up with a "No Operational System currently installed" message :chrongue:
Actually it comes up with
quote:
"Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key"

It changes depending on the BIOS, but either way it's a generic 'Boot device not found' message that should be easily recognisable.
[Image: jumbled.png]
07-31-2009 09:57 PM
Supa907

O.P. RE: PC wont start Windows Vista
Well, i got my Vista installed on the new hard drive, guess one of the SATA cables finally got the mobo to recognize it, but here's the strange part.

After windows installed I booted up my mobo's driver CD, it installed properly, and  went through a few restarts. After that was finish I proceeded to install my graphics card (Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX) drivers, it installed succesfully, and when it was finished I proceeded to change the settings to my monitor's native resolution (1440x900) so everything wasn't scrunched up. To my dismay I found that the monitor went black after the resolution was set to that, and it revered back to its scrunched up size after the 10 second "would you like to accept these changes?" screen.

I then went to the Nvidia website and downloaded the newest drivers for my video card hoping it would fix it. The download finished and I ran the drivers, it was successful and my computer restarted, it loaded into my desktop with my monitors native resolution, and after about 15 seconds the monitor flickered and went black exactly like my past problem.

I tried restarting and i was hit with the exact same 100% identical problem. I thought it might have been the graphics card, but I tried putting my friends card which was practically identical to mine (both 9800GTX) into my system a few days back when i was testing some parts and it had the same black screen. We also tested 4 different monitors and had the same problem. My Bios detects my 4 gigs of ram, and I don't think think my pc can even start without my processor, so it just leads me to believe its all the motherboards fault.

So, whats your input before i order a new mobo off Newegg tonight?

Sorry for the wall of text.  :S
07-31-2009 11:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
Erm, if it was a mobo fault, you wouldn't even start  the PC (in most/all cases)

The problem is the fact that either you monitor doesn't support that resolution (not likely if you have used it at that setting before) or that the graphics card is not capable of displaying it (although I don't think it'd give the option). It may be a problem with the driver and the version of Windows you are using. Install any updates available from Nvidia (you may even need to do a lot of searching to get the right drivers [My default sound and other drivers are actually part of the Nvidia Ethernet drivers... go figure])
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
08-01-2009 12:52 AM
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
What sort of monitor do you have..?
08-01-2009 05:33 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: