What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » i won't be upgrading

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
i won't be upgrading
Author: Message:
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
O.P. i won't be upgrading
The WLM team announced that they will force the latest version of WLM 2009 up your ass if you are still using versions 8.1, 8.5 or 14.0 (http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5B4...30829E!82557.entry)

So I gave WLM 2009 a try after sticking with 8.5 for years and am surprised at how this program is exactly as ugly as I expected it to be. I couldn't use it for a minute without immediately trying to bend it into shape with one of several 'patch-like' skins. And still it looks ugly.
IMO the design is bloated and unstructured. Why is it that with every iteration of WLM, the design has to be fancier and more cluttered than before?
There are reasons why people still stick to older versions of MSN/WLM, and this is one of them.

I guess I'll have to give it a try after all but I am not amused and will look for alternatives (or make my own skin).

:spam:

[/rant]
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
08-28-2009 03:59 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: i won't be upgrading
Hmm, IMO 2009 is much cleaner than 8.5, I don't see how it could be bloated compared to 8.5. But I do agree the policy on forcing people to upgrade without a good reason is ridiculous.

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix's reply to the MessengerSays blog
So while security hole infested versions like MSN Messenger 5.0 still remain to be usable, very recent versions like 2009 QFE1 are forced to upgrade to QFE2... without ever informing us what changed between these two Messenger versions.

And what about users on 64 bit Windowx XP? After october they won't be able to use Windows Live Messenger at all because the QFE2 installer doesn't allow them to use it (even though there is no reason for it): http://messengergeek.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E37...81BBDA1!3406.entry

Messenger team, I like your product, but please get your stuff together:
* Inform us what changed between Messenger builds. It doesn't have to be a detailed changelog, but at least tell something.
* Don't block 64 bit XP users while you have no reason to, you made this mistake multiple times now.
* Quit claiming blocking versions of less than a year old if for safety while you still allow ancient MSN Messenger versions to sign in.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-28-2009 12:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: i won't be upgrading
The issue I have with the design is just personal taste, but what concerns me is that this might break all the alternative clients that aren't using MSNP 18 yet.

This post was edited on 08-28-2009 at 06:47 PM by andrey.
08-28-2009 06:10 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
Menthix, there is a patch out that a quick google will net you to bypass this problem. :)
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
08-28-2009 09:16 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Menthix, there is a patch out that a quick google will net you to bypass this problem
Which one? The XP 64 bit issue? Yes, I linked to that. But that doesn't make it less of a screwup on Microsoft's side.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-28-2009 09:22 PM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
there are alternatives.. Pidgin/Trillian, Amsn, Miranda, Digsby, im sure there are others

i dont think it looks any different from previous Messengers from MS. maybe a few new things in it but apart from that its still the same look.
08-29-2009 02:01 AM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
The issue I have with the design is just personal taste
I dislike it too... that's why I use the skin Fuse, it's very minimalist and clean... thanks Willz ;)
08-29-2009 02:28 AM
TheSteve

The Man from Japan

40 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: i won't be upgrading
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
what concerns me is that this might break all the alternative clients that aren't using MSNP 18 yet.
In the past, Microsoft has not made a habit of phasing out the protocol versions.  I don't believe they will now either.  Last I heard, MSNP8 and MSNP9 were still usable.
08-30-2009 02:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
MSNP8 is still usable, the PHP messaging script I use utilises MSNP8
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
08-30-2009 08:11 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: i won't be upgrading
Isn't MSNP 8 still used by Windows Messenger, which might be why it's not been phased out?

The question is what will happen to MSNP 13-16, since I think most alternative clients have moved on to one of those.
08-31-2009 06:45 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: