What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Recovering Old Chat log

Recovering Old Chat log
Author: Message:
hamad.90

O.P. Recovering Old Chat log
Hello everyone,

I just have a quick question about recovering my old chat logs in MSN Messenger Plus. I uses the latest version of MSN Messenger plus and was chatting with a friend about three days ago. I asked her to write me her address to send her a gift. However, I was lazy to write the address down because I knew that I can get the address anytime from the chat log throw "the Messenger Plus Features". Then, I formatted my laptop like one hour ago, but could not read my chat logs again. So, now I do not have her address, and I feel like it is embarrassing to ask her again about her address in order to send the gift. So, please help me if you know anyway to recover my msn chat log before doing the format. I would do anything just to get the address again, so please help me.

My regards,
Hamad   

This post was edited on 10-05-2009 at 05:09 AM by hamad.90.
10-05-2009 05:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: Recovering Old Chat log
Do you have the chat log and/or know where it is stored?
10-05-2009 05:36 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
hamad.90

O.P. RE: Recovering Old Chat log
Hey ryxdp,

I appreciate your response to my post. Actually I do not have or know where the chat log is stored and this is why I am posting about recovering chat log. Maybe I did not understand your mean by "Do you have the chat log" I mean I would not be asking about recovering the chat log if I have it. I used to read the chat log by clicking a right click in any friend, then click on open chat log through Messenger Plus! Features. I apologize if my English is not clear, and I hope to be helped in order to read the chat log again.   

This post was edited on 10-05-2009 at 06:18 AM by hamad.90.
10-05-2009 06:17 AM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
Alright then, I thought you may have had the log but could not access it as it was encrypted. You never said you couldn't find it, just that you couldn't read it.

Try searching your hard drive(s) for the email address of the person; Messenger Plus! Live usually uses email addresses for file or folder names depending on how you've set it to organise. If you can't find anything, try to search for a phrase you remember from the conversation inside files.

By the way, what do you mean "format"? It seems rather ambiguous here. Did you completely reinstall Windows or just clean up the drive(s)?
10-05-2009 07:07 AM
hamad.90

I appreciate your help again ryxdp. I could not find anything in the hard drives because they are totally cleaned. I mean that I cleaned up the drives using the recovery kit, but did not reinstall windows. 
10-05-2009 07:13 AM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
Well then, unfortunately there is nothing much you can do short of trying to retrieve the log using a data recovery application. If you don't feel this is the best way to go (especially since most of them aren't exactly free), just explain to your friend what happened and ask them their address again :P I'm sure they'll understand.

This post was edited on 10-05-2009 at 07:22 AM by ryxdp.
10-05-2009 07:21 AM
hamad.90

Thanks again ryxdp for all of your help and I really appreciate your effort. Actually, I explained what happened to her sister whose kind of a friend of mine and then she gave me their address :) . But for this time, I wrote the address in many places just in case if I lost the chat log again. :)

Here is an advise for all of you: Write down your friends' addresses somewhere. Specially the girls of them because they really love gifts.
:)

Thanks again.   
10-05-2009 07:36 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: