What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online
Author: Message:
user35870
Disabled Account

O.P. Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online
Neowin.net is reporting that thousands of hotmail passwords have been posted on the internet (pastebin.com to be exact) and they can confirm that the accounts are indeed genuine.

BBC News reports that Microsoft are aware of the situation. Microsoft is currently "investigating the situation and will take appropriate steps as rapidly as possible."

Neowin.net - Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online.

BBC News - Hotmail accounts 'posted online'

You are recommended to change your account password ASAP.

This post was edited on 10-05-2009 at 05:32 PM by user35870.
10-05-2009 05:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online
Just posted about it on my blog.
Still, how could it have leaked? =/
[Image: Empty.png]
10-05-2009 05:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user35870
Disabled Account

O.P. RE: Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online
I think it may be due to a very convincing phishing website, not a actual result of the passwords being "leaked" from Microsoft's servers. As i'm sure Microsoft would store all users passwords in hashs (i.e. md5) in there databases.   

This post was edited on 10-05-2009 at 06:22 PM by user35870.
10-05-2009 06:21 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Microsoft-Blame...ing-Attack-546897/
Microsoft confirmed thousands of Hotmail customers had their usernames and passwords posted recently on a third-party site as a result of a likely phishing attack. An investigation by Microsoft has determined that there was no breach of internal data on the company's part.
10-05-2009 08:03 PM
tony

36 / Male / Flag
cba changing my password :p
[Image: beginnerbadgeef2.gif][Image: danceichigoow9.gif]
10-05-2009 08:11 PM
TheSteve

The Man from Japan

39 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online
quote:
Originally posted by Chris.
I think it may be due to a very convincing phishing website, not a actual result of the passwords being "leaked" from Microsoft's servers. As i'm sure Microsoft would store all users passwords in hashs (i.e. md5) in there databases.   

I don't know about now, however I know that in the past, passport user ids were stored in either plain text, or some sort of reversible encrypted format.  One of the support tools given to trusted support engineers had the ability to see the password on a given account.
10-06-2009 01:27 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Microsoft-Blame...ing-Attack-546897/
Microsoft confirmed thousands of Hotmail customers had their usernames and passwords posted recently on a third-party site as a result of a likely phishing attack. An investigation by Microsoft has determined that there was no breach of internal data on the company's part.

Tbh this happens all the time. If you browse 4chan's /b/ on a regular basis you will know what I'm on about. It just seems the media has jumped on this one.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
10-06-2009 02:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Searching pastebin (pastebin.ca has search) will give you plenty more stolen passwords, not that big of a list though. That's just a few that happened to be posted in public, the giant majority is exchanged in private underground communities.

Password stealing is a business and going on all the time, all those keyloggers, password stealers and phishing sites are not just kiddies being bored (well, a portion is), but criminals using your account to get access to whatever they can get money from.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/local_content/reports/66...ealers_0709_en.pdf was a pretty interesting read.

This post was edited on 10-07-2009 at 12:01 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-07-2009 12:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Zui

Well this is just great, I know WL try hard to keep peoples accounts safe but it seems they don't either mine has been comprimised or there is a general fault. I do not know, I just want to know if there will be a retrieval of these accounts it is, after all, quite annoying considering the contents of some of my accounts lost.
If anyone has any idea on if this is even plausable please reply.
10-09-2009 02:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Zui
Well this is just great, I know WL try hard to keep peoples accounts safe but it seems they don't either mine has been comprimised or there is a general fault. I do not know, I just want to know if there will be a retrieval of these accounts it is, after all, quite annoying considering the contents of some of my accounts lost.
If anyone has any idea on if this is even plausable please reply.

It's not Windows Live's fault. If you account has been taken, you have entered your password into a phishing website.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
10-09-2009 03:48 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: