What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Autosave Photosharing files

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Autosave Photosharing files
Author: Message:
jsheeler

O.P. Autosave Photosharing files
Hello there,
I have been searching and searching for a way to automatically have a shared photo save to my HD.  It is kind of a pain to click on the 'disk' icon to download the hi-res photos.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Jeff
10-29-2009 05:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MegaScience

RE: Autosave Photosharing files
I know this is a massive bump, but I have the same question. Is this possible to be done through Messenger Plus?
02-17-2011 09:34 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MegaScience
I know this is a massive bump, but I have the same question. Is this possible to be done through Messenger Plus?
Not via scripting. If something like this is to be added it needs to be added as a buildin feature in Plus! itself.

An alternative would be to completely disable photosharing (by hacking Messenger) and enable auto-accept file requests.

Other than that, let your contacts zip all the photo's and enable 'auto-accept for files' in Messenger Plus!. This will automatically save the recieved files in your recieved files folder set in Messenger.

;)

This post was edited on 02-18-2011 at 12:11 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-18-2011 12:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MegaScience

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
-Not via scripting. If something like this is to be added it needs to be added as a buildin feature in Plus! itself.

An alternative would be to completely disable photosharing (by hacking Messenger) and enable auto-accept file requests.

Other than that, let your contacts zip all the photo's and enable 'auto-accept for files' in Messenger Plus!. This will automatically save the recieved files in your recieved files folder set in Messenger.

;)

Ah well, that is sad. Some people will send important images, but do not want you to save them. As such, they close the photo share right away,so the "Save Photo" feature grays out. In such a case, this might not even work. But I'd at least like to save those cached preview images from it. Some images are small enough that there doesn't seem to be any quality degradation.

Maybe there's another way?
02-19-2011 12:34 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Ah, so you want to save images which the author don't want you to save :p

In that case, you might indeed look for the cached images. Dunno exactly where they are stored though. Maybe someone else knows or can test it quickly (don't have the time to do it at the moment)
02-19-2011 02:47 AM
MegaScience

RE: RE: Autosave Photosharing files
quote:
Ah, so you want to save images which the author don't want you to save :p

In that case, you might indeed look for the cached images. Dunno exactly where they are stored though. Maybe someone else knows or can test it quickly (don't have the time to do it at the moment)

I checked Temporary Internet Files, didn't find anything Photo Share related. I actually found new friend's MSN Display Pictures, though. Sad I can't figure out where they'd go... But that's why I'd wanted auto-save.

Meh. It's really annoying Google returns nothing on the cache, saving images after the partner has closed, etc.
02-19-2011 03:28 AM
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

34 / Male / Flag
Just tested using WLM 14.0.8117 on Windows Vista and the images got stored with a random filename in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\MessengerCache".

Two images get created; a small one which is what you see down the side of the window in the "select photo" area, and the bigger image which you see in the conversation itself.

You can copy these files somewhere else and give them the right file extension to save them permanently, and it's possible to do this using a script, though you'd have to run it manually by entering a command or clicking a menu item - I'm not sure if it's possible to get it to run automatically when a photo sharing invite is accepted.

The only problem with the above is that the folder also gets used to store other things, such as display pictures, so you'd need to either look at all the pictures and select the right one, or find some other way of determining which files are the ones created by photo sharing.

There is also a folder at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\<your email>\ObjectStore\Photoshare which gets queried when photo sharing is started, but as far as I can tell, this just stores images that you share and not images sent to you...

This post was edited on 02-19-2011 at 01:04 PM by pollolibredegrasa.
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
02-19-2011 12:59 PM
MegaScience

quote:
Originally posted by pollolibredegrasa
Just tested using WLM 14.0.8117 on Windows Vista and the images got stored with a random filename in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\MessengerCache".

Two images get created; a small one which is what you see down the side of the window in the "select photo" area, and the bigger image which you see in the conversation itself.

You can copy these files somewhere else and give them the right file extension to save them permanently, and it's possible to do this using a script, though you'd have to run it manually by entering a command or clicking a menu item - I'm not sure if it's possible to get it to run automatically when a photo sharing invite is accepted.

The only problem with the above is that the folder also gets used to store other things, such as display pictures, so you'd need to either look at all the pictures and select the right one, or find some other way of determining which files are the ones created by photo sharing.

There is also a folder at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\<your email>\ObjectStore\Photoshare which gets queried when photo sharing is started, but as far as I can tell, this just stores images that you share and not images sent to you...

I use Windows XP. I was able to find C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\<your email>\ObjectStore\Photoshare in comparison to your C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\<your email>\ObjectStore\Photoshare, but not MessengerCache at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Temp\MessengerCache Odd they don't directly correspond... Any ideas?

Edit: Found it at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\MessengerCache. Maybe this could be in some documentation... Meh.

Edit2: I composed a simple batch code to simply throw all the files into another folder as Jpg images. Maybe it can be of use.

code:
copy "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\MessengerCache\*" "F:\<username>\Desktop\Pics\MessengerCache\*.jpg"
pause

Of course, you'd replace the locations accordingly, but that's how it worked for me.

This post was edited on 02-20-2011 at 09:58 AM by MegaScience.
02-20-2011 09:34 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Edit: Found it at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\MessengerCache. Maybe this could be in some documentation... Meh.
Note: Those directories highly depend on how your system is set up: admin account, multiple normal user accounts, no accounts, etc... The directories will change according to this... For example, on my XPSP3 system the MessengerCache is in C:\Windows\Temp\.

quote:
Edit2: I composed a simple batch code to simply throw all the files into another folder as Jpg images. Maybe it can be of use.

code:
copy "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\MessengerCache\*" "F:\<username>\Desktop\Pics\MessengerCache\*.jpg"
pause

Small note: not all images are JPGs! Many of them are actually PNGs and even some are GIFs, and there also other types of files in that cache.

Renaming them all to JPG might work if you have a picture viewer which doesn't care about the file extension but actually looks at the binary contents of the file to determine the type of image.

But even so, you should be carefull with that. Not all programs ignore the extension and thus you might come across "invalid image" errors in various programs and you might mistakenly think the images are corrupted because of that, while in fact it is just their file extension which is wrong.

;)

This post was edited on 02-20-2011 at 10:46 AM by CookieRevised.
02-20-2011 10:44 AM
MegaScience

quote:
Note: Those directories highly depend on how your system is set up: admin account, multiple normal user accounts, no accounts, etc... The directories will change according to this... For example, on my XPSP3 system the MessengerCache is in C:\Windows\Temp\.

Ah... I updated to SP3, and it still went there... Guess what Service Pack started out on matters.

quote:
Small note: not all images are JPGs! Many of them are actually PNGs and even some are GIFs, and there also other types of files in that cache.

Renaming them all to JPG might work if you have a picture viewer which doesn't care about the file extension but actually looks at the binary contents of the file to determine the type of image.

But even so, you should be carefull with that. Not all programs ignore the extension and thus you might come across "invalid image" errors in various programs and you might mistakenly think the images are corrupted because of that, while in fact it is just their file extension which is wrong.

;)

I know they're not all .jpg, but my cache is quite large and I wouldn't have time to check each one. How else would I be able to tell? I suppose there's some programs out there that can do quick checks for me... If so, could you tell me? I have no idea what to search.

So far, setting the folder I sent these into to Thumbnail view has not shown problems. Everything in there came out displaying right, and 99% sure because of it checking binary while knowing they're images.

This post was edited on 02-20-2011 at 10:05 PM by MegaScience.
02-20-2011 10:04 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: