What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » MSN send SMS [canada vs. US]?

MSN send SMS [canada vs. US]?
Author: Message:
sniperfx20

O.P. MSN send SMS [canada vs. US]?
Me = canada | Friend = US

If a friend from the united states sends me a text message to my cell [rogers], i get the message fine, and reply to the number which is like 9900605 [changes]. Does that count as an international text? i have unlimited texting in canada tho, but NOT for american texts.

But this way, its like sending the text to the msn messenger server number...any idea? anyone have information on this o.O?
11-02-2009 08:41 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN send SMS [canada vs. US]?
If you have unlimited texting in Canada, that also means that all incoming texts are free (including international ones). If you however, choose to text back, then it might cost you...
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
11-02-2009 09:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Usually, because Canada and the US have the same national code (+1) that means that texting inside Canada and US is the same price. I've had no issues that cost me more. However, it may very well depend on your provider (take the fact that some providers charge text messages twice while others don't for example - incoming as well). If I recall correctly, rogers does not charge extra for the US.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
11-03-2009 12:23 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
sniperfx20

O.P. RE: MSN send SMS [canada vs. US]?
quote:
Originally posted by ipab
If you have unlimited texting in Canada, that also means that all incoming texts are free (including international ones). If you however, choose to text back, then it might cost you...

No, for rogers, texting to the united states costs 25 cents a text :P
11-03-2009 02:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
If you have unlimited texting in Canada, that also means that all incoming texts are free (including international ones).
Are you sure about that?

In some countries, with some operators, and especially depending on the plan you have, you do pay too if there is an incomming call _or_ text from outside the country (you pay normal national rate for your country), eventhough you have otherwise free sending sms or whatever other discount.

A good check on the website of Rogers would tell you the rates of the different plans, no? Or a simply phone call to their service center.

PS: I can't find anything about unlimited texting in any of the plans Rogers offer. I have found one which offers 2500/month sent messages though, but that's all...Anyways, you probably would know... I'll sush now:p

This post was edited on 11-03-2009 at 03:27 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-03-2009 03:05 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
IIrc, if you have a texting plan, all incoming texts (non-premium ones) are free.

With Fido, to send back, however, will cost you money on top of 'regular' texting. I'm not 100% sure with Rogers, but I think it's the same.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6547 days, 13 hours, 19 minutes, 24 seconds ago.

11-03-2009 04:28 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
If you have unlimited texting in Canada, that also means that all incoming texts are free (including international ones).
Are you sure about that?

In some countries, with some operators, and especially depending on the plan you have, you do pay too if there is an incomming call _or_ text from outside the country (you pay normal national rate for your country), eventhough you have otherwise free sending sms or whatever other discount.

A good check on the website of Rogers would tell you the rates of the different plans, no? Or a simply phone call to their service center.

PS: I can't find anything about unlimited texting in any of the plans Rogers offer. I have found one which offers 2500/month sent messages though, but that's all...Anyways, you probably would know... I'll sush now:p

Yes I am sure about that. I follow price changes and cellphone plans among all the carriers in the Canadian market very closely (except for Quebec, that's a whole different ballgame)...

As far as what Lou said, it's not entirely factual. If you have a special retentions plan (I bargained for one...), then no charges and incurred by texting US numbers. By and large though, if you have a texting plan, it covers all of Canada, NOT the United States along with it.

Just to set the matter at ease, there was a recent change in how texting is going to be charged all thanks to Bell and Telus deciding that they are going to charge for incoming texts. This prompted a lot of customer backlash, so what ended up happening was 3 scenarios: 1) You could back out of your cellphone contract without having to pay a penalty 2) You were offered free incoming for the length of your contract or 3) If you had a texting plan, incoming was made free for that.

Initially, Rogers claimed that it would not follow this route, but they have since gone back on their word and started charging for incoming texts if people were not on a texting plan.

So, in effect, as of now, if you don't have a texting plan, you get charged for incoming texts.

Sending has always costed something on every carrier, unless, as metioned above, you had a texting plan. This hasn't changed.

As far as all the carriers are concerned, if you have incoming texts, it means incoming from anywhere in the world. Outgoing, if international, costs more than standard national texts.

Note: Everything that I have said above strictly applies to non-premium text messages for Rogers, Bell and Telus. It does not apply to discount carriers such as Virgin Mobile, Solo Mobile, Fido or Koodoo (for them, for now atleast, non-premium incoming text messages are free).

Hopefully, Wind Mobile fixes it's ownership structure so that it can be approved by the CRTC to operate in Canada and shake up this oligopoly soon... Fuck Rogers/Bell/Telus

This post was edited on 11-03-2009 at 09:13 AM by ipab.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
11-03-2009 08:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: