What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Avoid the new Live 2009 (version 14)??

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Avoid the new Live 2009 (version 14)??
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Avoid the new Live 2009 (version 14)??
quote:
Originally posted by EriktheRed
I was not satisfied with the reskinning options available through Plus!
Can you explain why you weren't satisfied? Maybe there is something missing which could be added.

Although, every little pixel, object, button, etc in Messenger can be changed by using Plus! skins. You can even change the shape of the windows themselfs.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-08-2009 12:22 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Harushionu

For the record, all you little Microsoft kiss-ups, SkyDrive has been around for a very, very long time. It's available on the Windows Live profile pages and Hotmail. And guess what? It's open to anyone in your network. Sharing folders are private, only shared between two people. They were (and are) an excellent way to say, leave someone a photo you wish to share if they aren't online at the time, instead of uploading it to an image host or SkyDrive where it can be accessed by the whole planet.

tl;dr - SkyDrive has been around forever, they're only promoting it now. It's not an adequate replacement for sharing folders.
11-08-2009 03:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
[Image: skydrive-sharing.png]
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-08-2009 04:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Avoid the new Live 2009 (version 14)??
quote:
Originally posted by Harushionu
For the record, all you little Microsoft kiss-ups, SkyDrive has been around for a very, very long time.
Not a "very, very long time". It is only 2 years old as it was introduced in 2007 to a very limited set of countries. And it was only last year (2008) that it became available for everybody.

quote:
It's available on the Windows Live profile pages and Hotmail.
and from a lot more places too...

quote:
And guess what? It's open to anyone in your network.
Sorry but you are wrong!

You can have private folders (just for yourself).
You can share a folder with just 1 contact in Messenger.
You can share a folder with more than 1 contact in Messenger.
You can share a folder with all your contacts in Messenger.
You can share a folder with everybody (even with people not in your contact list on Messenger).

You can have subfolders too...

And to take your photo-example: if you upload photos to SkyDrive the people, who have access to the folder where the photos are, can view the photos in a fotoalbum/slideshow. You can add comments, tag people, etc. This is called Windows Live Photos (which is part of SkyDrive).

You can share and work with multiple people on the same Office documents from within your browser. This is called Office Web Apps (part of SkyDrive).

You can share browser bookmarks if you wish, directly from within your browser. This is called Windows Live Favorites (part of SkyDrive).

You can download not only individual files from a SkyDrive folder, but also the whole folder at once as a zip file.

etc...

Thus please check your facts and actually try something out before trying to proof us wrong with something you have read somewhere on the net written by people who didn't checked things themselfs.

EDIT: Also see screenshot in previous post.

This post was edited on 11-08-2009 at 04:42 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-08-2009 04:08 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by yoinkster
ie, girls have them pink, I'm a man, I don't want pink fucking windows.

what's wrong with pink?!
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
11-08-2009 04:25 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Harushionu

I think I'll just trust myself not to be retarded with my computer and stick with my MSN8.5. Before more of you scream "YOU'RE VULNERABLE TO EVERYTHING HARMFUL EVER NOW. YOU'LL DIE IF YOU DON'T UPGRADE TO WLM," - WLM is overly graphic-heavy, looks like something strictly for 12 year-olds, and my laptop cannot handle it for more than a few minutes without crashing. Seriously, crying that it's a security risk is an admission that you don't know how to take care of your computer.
11-08-2009 04:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Seriously, crying that it's a security risk is an admission that you don't know how to take care of your computer.

um.... wilfully running exploitable software is an admission that *you* don't know how to take care of *your* computer.

i'd prefer crappy performance to my contacts being able to run arbitrary code on my machine.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
11-08-2009 05:09 AM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Seriously, crying that it's a security risk is an admission that you don't know how to take care of your computer.

And crying that a new, safer, reliable and required for some features version is the worst ever would be what?
[Image: Empty.png]
11-08-2009 01:30 PM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
If you missed Sharing Folders...
1) Use SkyDrive and/or
2) Use Live Mesh.

Trust me, they're both better than Sharing Folders.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6525 days, 4 hours, 11 minutes, 52 seconds ago.

11-08-2009 03:54 PM
yoinkster

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: RE: Avoid the new Live 2009 (version 14)??
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

quote:
Chat windows need to be massive to accommodate the unnecessary 34870878756308476380% increase in display picture sizes,
There is not much different in version 2009 for the chat windows than what you are used to, other than that the DPs are now shown on the left side.

quote:
the chat windows seem to be coloured as other people want them to be, ie, girls have them pink, I'm a man, I don't want pink fucking windows.
Then turn it off :rolleyes:
In a chat window: Tools > Use default scene.

quote:
Thanks a lot for that, certainly made me laugh:
bugs and security? Problematic for MS to improve it? Boo-hoo, had they not made this montrosity in the first place people wouldn't NEED to avoid it!
Errr... excuse me? Problematic? Sorry, but this "montrosity" as you call it is EXACTLY the fix for those bugs and security issues in the version you are using right now. There is nothing problematc about it. You make it problematic for insisting in using a buggy and insecure version.

Tricking Messenger so you can use the older version WILL cause you even MORE troubles in the long rong. Even more, it will also cause problems for OTHER people.

-----------

Sorry people, but you are bringing all these problems on to yourself!
Do NOT trick/hack Messenger; it WILL bring you more trouble.
Simply bite the bullet and upgrade. You will very quickly enjoy the new version.

Windows Live Messenger is NOT that bad. There are no features removed (except for a very very few which weren't used in previous versions that much anyways), and all the "bloat" you're talking about can also be turned off.

Hi CookieRevised,

I came on with boiling blood but have now calmed down somewhat as I am now back on a superior product in 8.5

Firstly, the idea of peoples' windows coming up as they want you to see them is, in my eyes, a rediculous feature and should be off by default. I have got used to having very boring, very trimmed windows that don't intrude on my workspace that are tall and thin. These new chat windows DO have larger display pictures making them a lot wider and, as you point out, have inexplicably moved to the other side of the window. This just makes it feel unfamiliar and devalues the experience. I spent some time flicking through the options to find something along the lines of "override everyone elses' preferences and just show me my windows as I want them" but it wasn't there.

The monstrosity that has been created is not the fix for all those massive bugs you claim exist in 8.5 because it is simply not fit for purpose. It's like saying a half ton woman is a suitable solution for the problem of not being able to sleep with a Swedish bikini model any more. Yes, you may still get some action from the replacement but ... really, who would want to? My point was that I honestly couldn't give a rat's butt if I'm making it more problematic for MS to improve Live 2009 because frankly, they deserve all the stick they get for this particular product (and I'm normally a big fan of MS stuff).  Again causing problems for other people comes a distinct and very distant LAST in my concerns, I can chat to people on an older version of MSN that I want to use and they can chat back to me, that's all I care about.

Since ResHacking MSN I have experienced a total of 0 problems with MSN and a further 0 problems with the features in Plus! that I use. My computer has exploded exactly 0 times and there have been a total of 0 attempts on my life from would-be MSN exploiters. Yes, you're right, I absolutely must use the new, worse, more infuriating version.
11-10-2009 03:01 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: