What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » ADSL2+

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
ADSL2+
Author: Message:
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. ADSL2+
I've always been wondering why my Internet speed is quite slow (well, considering it should be upto 20Mb/s). Well, today I found out :(

I've run speed tests and found I was only getting 5Mb/s. I've tried other filters for the phone line to try and reduce noise; no change. I'm smack bang in the middle of three exchanges (not that it makes much difference, I'm about 1Km from all of them), but still only get relatively low speeds.

The problem, as it turns out, is that the exchange we use from our address doesn't have ADSL2+ enabled yet :(

It will be enabled (hopefully) by 30th March 2010, which means 24Mb/s+ speeds (although I'm only on a 20Mb/s connection now) :D

Theoretical speeds of 3MB/s :D That's under 5 minutes for a downloaded 750MB film.

This may not seem much, especially with cable already offering upto 50Mb/s, but I live in a cable "black hole". It surrounds my town, but hasn't been implemented in it yet ^o).

Why am I so bothered? Why am I posting this? Well, shouldn't ADSL2+ been rolled out already? It's called 21CN for a reason. I want, no demand, to be receiving download speeds that I pay for! Getting a quarter of what I should isn't acceptable. If the lower speeds weren't bandwidth capped I would have changed down to a lower price plan. Why was I offered such speeds when the ISP knows perfectly well I can't receive it no matter what technology I use?

If I could be bothered I'd write a complaint, because if you receive a certain percentage less than you pay for, there is a regulation in place to prevent it. What good would it do though? Would I get money back? Would it be MY fault for not checking in advance before paying for the service? Or would the fact that my monthly bandwidth has been above the capped limit of the lower price plans mean that I would have needed 16Mb anyway and so would not be entitled to anything?

Has anyone here ever had a problem like this and what did you do? I think it's rediculous...

But at least it's only for 3 more months :P

[/rant]
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
11-18-2009 07:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
RE: ADSL2+
virgin(cable) do a 100mb connection now :p
11-18-2009 07:13 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
It will be enabled (hopefully) by 30th March 2010, which means 24Mb/s+ speeds (although I'm only on a 20Mb/s connection now)
Your ADSL2+ speed will still very much rely on how good and far your connection to the exchange is. If you're getting 5Mbit on an ADSL(1) line now which theoretically is capable of reaching 12Mbit, I very much doubt you get anywhere close to 20Mbit. Also: make sure your modem/router is capable of ADSL2 speeds.

It seems very late for an exchange still having to switch to ADSL2 hardware, but it probably differs per country. But back when I went to an ADSL2 plan my exchange wasn't capable of it yet either with no indication when it would be. Turned out my exchange was almost the last one in the Netherlands to switch (or at least felt like it) and waited almost a year, paying the same as the others on the same plan who already were on a ADSL2 exchange.

Doubt complaining will work. In my case they were pretty upfront about the issue. But I guess in your case even when they didn't directly inform you about it, there probably is a section in your terms somewhere stating you get up to the speed of your plan where and when possible. Because the exchange points are not directly in control of the ISP they can't guarantee your speed or when the exchange gets converted.

This post was edited on 11-18-2009 at 07:54 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-18-2009 07:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
i pay $65.95 for ADSL1 (1500Kb/s) which includes 20GB onpeak download (8am-2am) and unlimited offpeak (2am-8am) but because my exchange hasnt got ADSL2+ with my ISP yet i cant get the cheaper plan that is the same caps but 24Mb/s for $49.95...

atleast you know when you are getting yours... my ISP says "we dont have a schedule of when the exchange will be upgraded"
11-18-2009 09:43 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
you're getting ripped off, mine is $41 for 10Mb which i thought was bad enough (cap is about 5GB a day between 4pm & 11pm, even then all they do is reduce your speed if you go over, rather then charge. rest of the day unlimited).
least its cable, so stays at 10Mb all the time :) unlike adsl which i've had in the past. which always gave me a massive range of speed
11-18-2009 10:00 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: ADSL2+
£10 for 20Mb :p
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
11-18-2009 10:49 PM
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
£10 for 20Mb :p
R$90 for 3Mb. ~3 times more expensive for 15% of the speed.
11-19-2009 12:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: RE: ADSL2+
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
i pay $65.95 for ADSL1 (1500Kb/s) which includes 20GB onpeak download (8am-2am) and unlimited offpeak (2am-8am) but because my exchange hasnt got ADSL2+ with my ISP yet i cant get the cheaper plan that is the same caps but 24Mb/s for $49.95...

atleast you know when you are getting yours... my ISP says "we dont have a schedule of when the exchange will be upgraded"
what ISP are you with ?  im in Aussie an use Bigpond ( maybe changing early jan to internode ) but i pay $90 on ADSL2+ .. iinet dont have a exchange around me or i'd go to there Naked DSL plans
11-19-2009 01:45 AM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak

what ISP are you with ?  im in Aussie an use Bigpond ( maybe changing early jan to internode ) but i pay $90 on ADSL2+ .. iinet dont have a exchange around me or i'd go to there Naked DSL plans
AAPT is where its at [=

internode and iinet and tpg are alright, but they still dont work as well as AAPT... and the AAPT plan beats all if you can get ADSL2+
11-19-2009 01:59 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i didnt even know AAPT did internet. thought they only did phone.
11-19-2009 02:15 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: