What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » LCD Monitor

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
LCD Monitor
Author: Message:
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: LCD Monitor
quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
I have an opportunity to by a 22" Acer AL2216Wbd LCD monitor  what do you think?
Acer are fucking terrible. Their screens seem to be 'ok' but if anything goes wrong with it you will be waiting a couple of months putting up with their shit just to get it replaced.

Do you want full HD..? Planning on connecting a Xbox 360/PS3/Wii to it at all..? What sort of budget do you have..?

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Samsung

x2

Samsung kicks ass. I am getting a 40 inch lcd tv (h)
I thought you had a 62" LCD screen already..?

This post was edited on 12-01-2009 at 07:53 AM by Phillip.
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
12-01-2009 07:52 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: LCD Monitor
Most brands are 'good' these days, not much difference. Many brands even use the very same hardware anyways. It mostly depends on the budget you want to spend.

Important points for LCD screens are:

1) The refresh speed/delay, the lower the better. You should have an absolute maximum of 5ms, anything higher is absolute shit. Preferable something like 2ms to 3ms.

2) The contrast ratio. I would say at least 3000:1.

3) The dead pixel policy. Almost every brand will _not_ replace the screen if there are only a limited number of dead pixels. Read the fine print in the manual _before_ you pay for the screen! This is very important. For example, you could have like 10 dead pixels, yet all across the screen. This is different than having 10 dead pixels in one quarter of the screen. The later might mean they will replace the screen, the first will not. So, read the policy carefully. To read this, you probably must open the box and read the manual. Ask to do this in the store, don't let you tell you otherwise. They must allow it.

4) Very important for ergonomics: check if the screen can be tilted and can be lifted higher or lower. Not all screens can be tilted, and even less screens can be lifted higher or lower.

5) The ability to show different resolutions without distorting/stretching the image across the screen. This can be important if you plan to hook up your laptop to the screen for example.

eg: the older widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 206BW is an excellent screen and can show different resolutions, but they will all be stretched across the screen. This is of course not very good if you hook up a 4:3 laptop.

--

And above all, ask to hook up the screen which you wanna buy (not a demo model, but the exact screen!) so you can check for dead pixels in the store and can see the screen in 'action'. This is very acceptable for TVs, yet often people forget that it is equaly important (if not more important) for computer screens.

;)

This post was edited on 12-01-2009 at 04:18 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-01-2009 04:08 PM
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: LCD Monitor
Thanks for tall the advice.  I ended up just going with the 22" Acer AL2216Wbd LCD monitor....the resolution is fine...NO dead pixels...and I'm happy with it...I got it for free...my friend just upgraded to the 24" model.
12-01-2009 04:23 PM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: LCD Monitor
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
quote:
I have an opportunity to by a 22" Acer AL2216Wbd LCD monitor  what do you think?
Acer are fucking terrible. Their screens seem to be 'ok' but if anything goes wrong with it you will be waiting a couple of months putting up with their shit just to get it replaced.

Do you want full HD..? Planning on connecting a Xbox 360/PS3/Wii to it at all..? What sort of budget do you have..?

quote:
quote:
Samsung

x2

I do, but that's my parents and it's in the lounge room. I considerd taking it off the wall and putting it in my room, but i don't think they would be too happy about that :P
12-01-2009 09:31 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
quote:

quote:
quote:
Samsung

x2

the 40" is to go with the car he owns.........
12-01-2009 09:42 PM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3666/dscf0488j.jpg

|-)
12-01-2009 10:18 PM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I've somehow always been in love with the T.O.C. series from samsung. Elegant.
12-02-2009 01:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
a week or two ago I got a 24" Dell monitor (S2409W) for 12750 INR (~275 USD) and I'm very pleased with it
Samsung is good as well but they don't sell 24" monitors here so I had to go with Dell

yes, the S2409W is very nice. it's a TN panel, so you get the regular viewing angle/colour reproduction/etc issues that TN technology implies, but as far as build quality goes, it's been fine -- no dead pixels, etc. i've had mine since January, and have never found it to be less than satisfactory (although, it was my first LCD, so my opinion may be a little biased in favour of it for that reason.)

This post was edited on 12-02-2009 at 01:53 AM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
12-02-2009 01:53 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
steevestell

Hello Friends.
I think SONY is Best themselves if you decided the your only two choice then LG is good.
12-18-2009 05:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: