What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » WLM 2010 revealed

Pages: (20): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
WLM 2010 revealed
Author: Message:
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: WLM 2010 revealed
I want WLM 8.1 back :(

Oh, of course, with the support for newest protocol, and vulnerabilities fixed, if that CookieRevised matters.

This post was edited on 12-10-2009 at 05:02 PM by Mnjul.
12-10-2009 05:02 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
I want WLM 8.1 back :(

Oh, of course, with the support for newest protocol, and vulnerabilities fixed, if that CookieRevised matters.
I still miss nice orange one that was the 8.0 beta.
[Image: Empty.png]
12-10-2009 06:09 PM
Shiny Rabbit

oohhh shiny

– / Male / Flag
I certainly hope that's subject to change, it would work so much better if the news feed was a small popup that appears when you hover over a certain part of the window or can be disabled completely, also what's the deal with the ludicrously oversized ad?
[Image: 202-3.png][Image: shinyhachunesig.png]

12-10-2009 06:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
OK, some more constructive feedback after the first WTF...

The screenshots definitely give little context and I understand this is an early build. Someone who I'm sure played with the actual software agrees the screenshots look like crap, but says the real experience is much better (http://twitter.com/SiebeTolsma/status/6538209519), so that gives some hope. The screenshots don't show that much either, and the parts we do see are heavily edited for obvious reasons.

Having that said, what's wrong with the small part we do see?

* Huge ad
This is definitely my biggest complaint. The advertisement on the contacts list is huge, there's no excuse for an ad that big in software which runs on my desktop. You can pull of ads that size on a site, not in software. The ad in the current version already is big enough as it is, keep it that same size or smaller. Even if that ad would not be there all the time, but shows up at certain intervals, it's still too intrusive and taking up too much precious pixels.

* Oversized fonts
Several texts are too big, again wasting precious pixels which are limited on a desktop. Keep n mind most people have their contacts list open on the side of their desktop during most of the time. The bigger the contacts list window gets, the less usable the application.
- 'Other Contacts' should have the same size as in the old (2009) version.
- 'Social/Friends/Highlights/Recent' should be the same size as 'All/Available/Other Contacts/Blocked'.
- 'Xxx updated Twitter' should be the same size as the names of the contacts on the right.
- The actual twitter message is blanked out, but shouldn't be much bigger than the name of contacts either.

* Social stream next to contacts list is odd
The way the social stream is displayed next to the contacts list doesn't makes the window unnecessary big. I assume the button in the upper-right corner hides the social stream. Hopefully the social stream is hidden by default, but it could be implemented better. I understand you need to be able to scroll through both lists individually, but having a scrollbar in the middle is odd. Do that many people want to watch their contacts list and the social stream at the same time? Why not have a button to just switch between the contacts list and the social stream. So it would either show the left side, or the right side of what we see in the screenshot, not both in a huge window.

The tabbed chats feature is nice, and about time. The screenshot does show four layers, but even in Messenger 2009 the menu bar was always hidden by default, and the action bar (Files/Video/Call/etc.) can be hidden if you want. I imagine tabbed chats can be disabled completely if you want.

The 'Connected to .. | Add' on the lower-right of the contacts list is interesting. I *think* it connects to other social networks, not other IM networks. Purely speculating, but it shows the Windows Live icon, not the Messenger icon, which would hint more at the social network aspect. Adding the social stream and the bigger 'Share something new' box to that I think they are more focused on integrating other social networks than other instant messaging networks. It would however be great if we were able to talk to AIM/GTalk/Skype contacts from inside Messenger.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-10-2009 07:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i dont care for it since i dont use WLM much :) . like  to see what Patch has to say about it though
12-10-2009 09:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Toxn

112 / Male / Flag
Hope sometime before the release they get rid of the crap look that wlm9 has.
No problem
12-10-2009 11:19 PM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
1) Obviously, the ad is way too big.

2) The Contact List, if anything, should be on the left. We read left to right! We go on WLM to chat, not to look at what people Tweet about. That's what the browser/twitter.com is for.

3) The window is too big.

4) Too text-based.

aka, lots of improvement needed.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6524 days, 22 hours, 49 minutes, 49 seconds ago.

12-11-2009 12:49 AM
Toxn

112 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
That's what the browser/twitter.com is for.

at least its not as stupid as Fishbowl
Why would u want a program thats facebook but without the apps when u can just open ur browser and go to facebook?

This post was edited on 12-11-2009 at 01:10 AM by Toxn.
No problem
12-11-2009 12:53 AM
kezz

'kezz.,

31 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed
I've gotta admit, even though the Neowin article said that the screenshots are likely to have been taken from an earlier build, it looks like total crap. I agree with Menthix, the ads are way too huge, the window is bloated due to the dual-panel setup, and the fonts are rather terrible.

Hopefully, a huge amount of interface design has gone into this since the screenshots were taken. Otherwise we'll all be looking on the MP!L team to fix it as much as possible.
[Image: 2764.png]
[Image: internet.png]
12-11-2009 04:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
It seems it would probably fit in more as a webpage, especially since there's that giant ad in there. You might as well just have your wallpaper set to rotate through a string of ads.

I do quite like the concept of it, but for an instant messaging client it doesn't really work all that well. They should have just improved on the 2009 design, but only slightly.
12-11-2009 05:33 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (20): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: