What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » auto accept and run

auto accept and run
Author: Message:
SourSpud

spud, spud, spud, spoon.

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. auto accept and run
I was woundering can anyone make a script when someone sends me a picture it will auto accept and open the file, for security only have it open the file it the extension ends in either jpg, png or gif.

cheers
12-10-2009 01:34 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
RE: auto accept and run
iirc, Plus! can't detect activity related to file sharing (please correct me if I'm wrong), and the auto-accepting feature can be enabled under Plus!>Preferences>Conversations, bottom part of the window.
[Image: Empty.png]
12-10-2009 01:40 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
SourSpud

spud, spud, spud, spoon.

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: auto accept and run
I am pretty sure I have heard someone say it is possible.
12-10-2009 07:24 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
The OnEvent_ChatWndReceiveMessage doesn't work for file transfers. There is no way to know if it is finished without constantly polling the history text.
12-10-2009 07:43 PM
SourSpud

spud, spud, spud, spoon.

34 / Male / Flag
would that be hard matty?
12-10-2009 08:32 PM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: auto accept and run
quote:
Originally posted by SourSpud

Probably not, but it would certainly be inefficient compared to what we could do if we had greater access to the internal workings of Messenger through Scripting. Perhaps we may get a huge overhaul of the Scripting Engine in MP!L5, along with other changes.
12-11-2009 05:16 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
To start with, see your other thread where you asked the opposite (to check when a file transfer, which you have initiated, finishes): dont show sent file
Everything said there applies for this too.

Thus also the complexity of the whole thing. Although for checking when the file has been recieved, it is a bit less complex because you don't need to deal with so many possible messages.

However, the counter side is that, as matty said, you need to constantly poll and process the history text which can take a relative fair bit of processing by Messenger and thus might slow things down depending on the frequency of checking.

Nutshell: yes, it is possible for files _other_ than pictures, in most cases*, and it would be easier than the other way around, but it comes with a downside: the need to constant poll the history.

* there is always one scenario where such stuff will fail: if you or your contact initiated a transfer and cancels the transfer before something is send and before saying anything else. In that case no action message is send to either of you and thus this can not be detected by these methods.

-------------------------

However, it is not possible with these methods to detect the file type before the file is actually successfully received. So you can not automatically accept just a picture and not accept the rest. You need to accept all files.

This said, even files with other extensions can be pictures too. And vice-versa: a file with the extension png, jpg or gif is not always a real picture. Especially for the png file type, it is sometimes used to send a desguised virus. Hence the png file type is considered more dangerous than the others. There actually once was a big security hole in Windows, and thus Messenger, regarding this (when you opened a special crafted PNG file in a MS program, remote code could be executed).

But more importantly: to do what you want your contact also needs to disable Photo Sharing! And seeing that most people haven't disabled Photo Sharing (can only be done by patching messenger because there is no out-of-the-box option for it), the picture will always be sent with Photo Sharing, making this whole 'constantly check history' method completely useless. In fact, a file transfer wont be used at all when your contact sends you a picture.

This post was edited on 12-11-2009 at 06:05 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-11-2009 05:34 AM
SourSpud

spud, spud, spud, spoon.

34 / Male / Flag
Thats for the replys guys, I din't know that about the png file, i will be more aware when receiving pictures over messenger.
12-11-2009 05:54 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
[OFFTOPIC]
quote:
I din't know that about the png file, i will be more aware when receiving pictures over messenger.
The only way to prevent such stuff is to keep your Windows up to date by visiting Windows Update, installing the latest Service Packs, and/or have automatic updates in Windows turned on. And using the latest versions of programs.
[/OFFTOPIC]

This post was edited on 12-11-2009 at 06:09 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-11-2009 06:08 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: