What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » New PC

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
New PC
Author: Message:
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: New PC
quote:
Originally posted by albert
If I  had known you needed an i7 CPU, I would've hooked you up with my Intel EEP program deal.

Was planning on buying an i7 920 from NCIX.com on their Boxing Week Sale, if you can give it to me cheaper, mind hooking me up :p?

* prashker sends PM and spams on messenger
12-20-2009 06:56 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: New PC
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
i stand by what Cookie said, im on Win764 bit an Memory usage is around 1.70GB of 4GH ram. an im on a old crappy AMD Dual Core 6000+ Cpu with a Crappy Mobo i wont replace till the computer actually dies on me
Windows 7 (and Vista) are not like previous versions. They will try make use of as much ram as possible while doing simple things like browsing through your computer or browsing the internet. When you open a program that does require usage of the ram Windows 7 will allocate the memory needed to the program. If you were running Windows XP and your memory usage was around 1.7GB/2GB then yes I would be worried but 1.7GB is perfectly normal for Windows 7. Windows 7 will try max out your Ram modules to give you a nice fast experience. You should be able to open up 50 processes and then try watch a HD movie and it should play without skipping as Windows knows this is the program that needs the memory.

This post was edited on 12-20-2009 at 12:02 PM by Phillip.
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
12-20-2009 10:13 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
It's the X58 chipset that runs the triple channel memory controller. P55 is duel channel.

oops, didn't see that :<
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
12-20-2009 03:29 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Veggie

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: New PC
right, im going to order it tommorrow, its just the memory that i am not sure about. not sure what all the timings are... goingto get 2x2Gb and double it later, but is the memory i chose 'good'? going to get a 10,000rpm HDD too i think
12-28-2009 02:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i would of went for Kingston DDR3 ram, i hear thats better than any others

This post was edited on 12-28-2009 at 03:02 AM by Hank.
12-28-2009 03:02 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
i would of went for Kingston DDR3 ram, i hear thats better than any other
Not true.

Kingston is an A-brand, and good in general, but that doesn't mean it's better than plaything else. There are plenty of other A-brands in memory. Also, Kingston and every other brand makes memory modules of different types, some faster than the other but that comes at a price.

The first thing when picking in memory is looking up your motherboard specs and see which types it supports. You won't be able to just use any type of DDR3 memory, look in the detailed specification page on the site of the motherboard manufacturer.

This post was edited on 12-28-2009 at 10:51 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-28-2009 10:51 AM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
get a 10,000rpm HDD too i think
If you do have a little cash lying around, get an SSD drive, at least for your operating system. I have two of them (one desktop, one laptop) and let me tell you they're worth your money.
12-28-2009 03:54 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: New PC
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Memory is actually not that expensive anymore, you should realy invest in that. The thing which makes it expensive is the DDR3. If your motherboard also supports DDR2 I would buy that instead if you're short on cash (it is roughly twice as cheap). You will loose some performance speed, but at equivalent speeds that is actually not very noticable.
Just to point out, DDR2 prices have skyrocketed for some reason. I bought 2x2GB of Kingston PC2-8500 in May for £31. The cheapest I can find that stuff for now is £71.

Also I can't find the voltage information on that RAM you've got. You must make sure it is rated at less than 1.65V otherwise you will destroy the memory controller on your CPU.

Throw away that CPU fan as well, for £6 it's going to be dreadful (or least, no better than the one included with the CPU). Something like a Coolermaster or Zalman would be slightly more expensive (£10-£20) but would be adequate. I personally have a Noctua NH-U12P but it's probably seriously overkill if you're not overclocking.

--

And now I realise you've already ordered, my bad >.>
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
12-29-2009 12:30 AM
Veggie

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: New PC
haha dont worry, havent ordered yet... Yeah i knew about the voltage thing and have been looking at the supported list and have decided to go with,
Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
will check the cpu fan, will probably just go with the stock. I have no real plans with overclocking, as this computer will perform well with default settings.
12-29-2009 10:14 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i know in Australia where i buy most my Hardware Ram is pretty dirt cheap ( DDR2 ) IMO i still think its to early to go to DDR3 stuff but thats my opinion only.
12-29-2009 10:23 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: