What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Wireless N questions

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Wireless N questions
Author: Message:
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Wireless N questions
Hey guys, I have some questions regarding Wireless N system and modem/router combos that utilize Wireless N. Im quite newb at all this stuff, so bear with me :P

1. Wireless N is "backwards compatible" yes? As in does it also comprises of b and g?

2. Sorta inline with question number 1, if I have a wireless adapter which only works with wireless b and g, will it still be able to pick up internet from the wireless N router?

3.Once again sorta inline with first 2; by having the increased wireless range that N gives (as compared to b and g), will wireless b/g adapters outside the usual b/g range still be able to connect to the network?

4. Is it really worth it to get a wireless N modem/router as opposed to just a b/g?

will add more questions as I think of them :P

Appreciate the help :)
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
12-23-2009 02:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
tony

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Wireless N questions
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes, but not as far away as a regular 802.11n

4. Depends on your network usage, usually 802.11n is used for media streaming as you will get around 300mbps instead of the 54mbps of a 802.11g or 11mbps for 802.11b
[Image: beginnerbadgeef2.gif][Image: danceichigoow9.gif]
12-23-2009 02:25 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by tony
4. Depends on your network usage, usually 802.11n is used for media streaming as you will get around 300mbps instead of the 54mbps of a 802.11g or 11mbps for 802.11b

Keep in mind that a regular hard drive will bottleneck Wireless-N :p
12-23-2009 02:38 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Wireless N questions
quote:

3. Yes, but not as far away as a regular 802.11n

so it will be slightly bigger range, but still not as big as a wireless n adapter, yes?

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

Keep in mind that a regular hard drive will bottleneck Wireless-N :p
explain?!?!

quote:

The main reason im thinking of getting wireless N is for the increased range, because I want the whole house to have wireless with good speed and no dropouts.

thanks for the answers btw :)

This post was edited on 12-23-2009 at 03:17 AM by Th3rmal.
12-23-2009 03:16 AM
Adeptus

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No.  802.11 b/g is what it is, regardless what else one end might support. If you gain any additional range, it would be coincidental and due to the design differences of the new router (all consumer grade products operate at some small fraction of the permitted maximum power and have less-than-optimal antennas; obviously, some suck less than others).

4. Usually not for people who just want wireless Internet access, unless they have ungodly fast Internet or truly need the range (in which case they must get 802.11n hardware on both ends).  If you are doing home networking between your computers, working with large files, etc.  then yes, it could benefit you. 

SonicSam's point doesn't stand because the stated transfer rates of all 802.11 protocols are best case, which almost never is your case.  In reality, depending on the distance, terrain and interference level, all the protocols will be falling back quite a few notches to maintain reliable communications.  Unless you are sitting right next to your access point, you may need 802.11n just to get the 54Mbps you might presently be expecting from 802.11g.  I've seen marginal WiFi connections fall back to dialup modem speeds of the 90s.
12-23-2009 03:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
Well what is the "range" of a b/g device?
The setup that I think I will be having is this:
Room number 1 has the modem/router.
Room number 2 uses a wireless usb adapter to connect to internet and is about 7-8m away from Room 1 (and on the same storey)
Any other computers using the internet would be laptops, on a lower storey and on the other side of the house.

Will b/g suffice?
12-23-2009 05:57 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
In a lot of cases a single b/g accesspoint covers the entire house when placed well. Of course that depends on the material of your walls and size of the house too.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-23-2009 11:29 AM
kezz

'kezz.,

32 / Male / Flag
"b" and "g" both have a maximum indoor range of around 45m, and as Menthix said, the success of your setup will rely on the placement of the hardware, and the construction materials and size of your house. But from what you have explained, it should work to a reasonable standard.
[Image: 2764.png]
[Image: internet.png]
12-24-2009 05:03 AM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Kezzinator29
But from what you have explained, it should work to a reasonable standard
since it has stated what his walls are made out of, how can u claim that. at my parents house i could be 4 meters away from their router and not get any signal
12-24-2009 07:17 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
I've decided to go Wireless N on both ends simply because my budget can stretch that far :P

Any particular brands anyone suggests? I was thinking Netgear for both since I've used Netgear products before and they seem to be good and easy to set up.
12-24-2009 01:46 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: