What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » New users: Email notification by default

New users: Email notification by default
Author: Message:
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. New users: Email notification by default
Hey,

I think it would be a good idea if, for new users, the email notification option was enabled by default.

It's happened to most of us: We've signed up to a forum, posted a question, then completely forgot about it.

If you're lucky, weeks/months later you remember about it, go and check it and it's got loads of replies. If only you'd known...

Some new users post a question and never go back to it, which, for the person who put their time and effort into trying to help them, is a complete waste of time.

So I think it'd be satisfying for the person helping to know that the user will be notified about the reply.

And of course it'd be helpful for the user to know someone's posted a reply to their topic.

Many other forums do this and I think it'd be a good idea to have it here. :happy:

Chris
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-26-2009 08:36 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: New users: Email notification by default
I did that on the Dutch forum with pretty positive results. People come back to clarify or just to say thank you.

To not make it spammy: During signup make sure they see the 'mail me on replies by default' so they can uncheck it if they wish, and every mail should have a footer with clear instructions on how to manage their subscriptions or disable subscriptions completely.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-26-2009 09:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
I did that on the Dutch forum with pretty positive results. People come back to clarify or just to say thank you.

To not make it spammy: During signup make sure they see the 'mail me on replies by default' so they can uncheck it if they wish, and every mail should have a footer with clear instructions on how to manage their subscriptions or disable subscriptions completely.
Or maybe 'Mail me replies for my first x posts'.
12-26-2009 04:27 PM
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
I think it is a great idea. Many new threads are created and then the user never gets the answer he wanted because he forgot to check if his question was answered. It would be very useful if this feature was implemented.

This post was edited on 12-26-2009 at 04:30 PM by Basilis.
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
12-26-2009 04:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
Or maybe 'Mail me replies for my first x posts'
That will probably only confuse people. If you get email notifications about your posts you expect that to continue unless you change it yourself. People won't keep track of how many posts they made to figure out if they will still get email notifications or not.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-26-2009 06:09 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: