What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Graphics Card Suggestions requested

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
Graphics Card Suggestions requested
Author: Message:
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
A 9800GT will scrape through at 1920x1080 with AA on current games
im getting 80fps on mw2... thats not scraping... and thats without overclocking... this card will last for about 3 more years... yes by then it will be down to about 20-40fps for the higher end of games, but as JA said, he doesnt play those sorts of game... just low to mid end games.

and I played for about 2 years with a 6200 (this was 2 years ago), the games i that i was playing: CS: S, TF2, etc (mainly valve games). On lowest graphics i was playing at 15-20FPS... which was still reasonable to play with because i would often be up near the top of multiplayer games.

I played call of duty 4 no problem with a 7300gt :P

quote:
quote:
thats almost 1/2 price... of course the other cards are going to outdo the 9800...

did you even read what i said before:
quote:
you cannot compare different generations of graphics cards...

and yes, you may have compared it to both... but you compared a 5850 (which is a fairly high card in ATI) to a GTX260... they may be close but what you should be comparing to is a 280 or 285... which is a fair difference in power...

so please, when you do comparisons, do it right!
Actually the GTX285 also gets beat in certain games (source) and is currently poking around £320, but I never had one of these cards so I couldn't comment from my point of view. However, the GTX285 is definitely going to be out of JA's scope.

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
quote:

The 5000 series seeing as it is a new architecture is going to be around for a while. You're welcome to wait for nVidia's Fermi to come out, but if it's anything like the GTX200 series release then the cards will be rather expensive (at least, out of your budget).

He doesn't want nor need a high end card though.
But he did say he wants it to last for a long time. A 9800GT will scrape through at 1920x1080 with AA on current games (especially seeing as it's just a remap of the 8800GT - which has been out for over two years now), but not for long.

The 5770 will survive for much longer, seeing as it has just been released and has a very good price-to-performance ratio. The 5850 will maybe last that bit longer due to its extra power.

You are still comparing 2 different generation cards.

This post was edited on 01-13-2010 at 04:06 AM by Discrate.
01-13-2010 03:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
quote:
quote:
A 9800GT will scrape through at 1920x1080 with AA on current games
im getting 80fps on mw2... thats not scraping... and thats without overclocking... this card will last for about 3 more years... yes by then it will be down to about 20-40fps for the higher end of games, but as JA said, he doesnt play those sorts of game... just low to mid end games.

and I played for about 2 years with a 6200 (this was 2 years ago), the games i that i was playing: CS: S, TF2, etc (mainly valve games). On lowest graphics i was playing at 15-20FPS... which was still reasonable to play with because i would often be up near the top of multiplayer games.
Is this at 1920x1080 with 4x AA and 16x AF? I find that hard to believe seeing as the benchmarks I saw for MW2 show that very few cards will get more than 80fps at a decent resolution, with AA. Your point on the previous page about AA not being applicable at 1920x1080 is simply invalid, even on a mates 30" Dell running at 2560x1600 I can notice jaggies in game when he turns it off.

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
You are still comparing 2 different generation cards.
Makes no difference if nVidia don't have anything to compete with the current generation at this time. Maybe this will change when March comes, but I'm fairly sure that the first Fermi cards will be out of everyones budget... Although looking at the benchmarks from MW2 above, he may be better getting a 4890 which performs ever so slightly better, and is the same price. It's also the same generation as the GTX200 series of cards, not that this makes much difference...

This post was edited on 01-13-2010 at 10:16 AM by andrewdodd13.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
01-13-2010 10:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
i run my game on: max, except AA/AF, they are pointless when in the heat of battle... makes no difference... sure for Crysis they make it look a bit better... Phillip, who has been playing FPS games and everything for MANY years now, and who also knows quite a lot with hardware says that at anything above 1920x1080, AA is barely noticeable and not needed.

also i run with a 21" screen, so it looks clearer no matter what... and are you sure that you are the correct distance from the screen from the 30"?

and that review is just pointless, they should do tests without AA to show you how good the nvidias pwnage is over ATI...
01-13-2010 11:14 AM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
i run my game on: max, except AA/AF, they are pointless when in the heat of battle... makes no difference... sure for Crysis they make it look a bit better... Phillip, who has been playing FPS games and everything for MANY years now, and who also knows quite a lot with hardware says that at anything above 1920x1080, AA is barely noticeable and not needed.
You're making a slightly cyclical argument here as there's little difference to having the game on low and on high "in the heat of the battle". AF is clearly noticable on textures, at an resolution, and I run it at 16x on all games. Here's a demonstration.

AA is less noticable, perhaps. However if you look at the comparison in Half Life 2 it's clearly visible. The resolution of the screenshot is irrelevant as you're viewing it on your high resolution monitor.

quote:
and that review is just pointless, they should do tests without AA to show you how good the nvidias pwnage is over ATI...
Sorry, but if you'd actually looked at the page before, you would have seen that it's all about running with no AA/AF. It shows that the GTX285 is 4fps and the GTX275 is 2fps more than the 5850. And that the 9800GT gets less than the 4850.

I'm going to quit arguing, your argument style points to you being a clear nVidia fanboy. If you're going to accuse me of being an ATi one, the HD5850 is the first ATi card I've ever owned. I'll let JA read the numbers and see what he wants to get.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
01-13-2010 01:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
quote:
Half Life 2 it's clearly visible. The resolution of the screenshot is irrelevant as you're viewing it on your high resolution monitor.
Hotlink blocked.

quote:
You're making a slightly cyclical argument here as there's little difference to having the game on low and on high "in the heat of the battle". AF is clearly noticable on textures, at an resolution, and I run it at 16x on all games. Here's a demonstration.
Sorry, but I can barely see a difference.

Also, he said he's on a budget and doesn't need a high-end card, and surely the ATi HD58xx series is one of them. 2 or 5fps more won't make anyone's life better, and drivers can always make them perform better.
Even my nVidia 8500GT is able to handle 1440x900 and 1920x1080 simultaneously, even when playing The Sims 3 on high detail. Sure, it's not like a "OMG-AMAZINGLY-FAST", but runs nicely and didn't make my computer's price skyrocket.

Don't get me wrong, but I really don't see the point of NEEDING to have more than 30fps and other details the human eye can't see.
[Image: Empty.png]
01-13-2010 04:03 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Half Life 2 it's clearly visible. The resolution of the screenshot is irrelevant as you're viewing it on your high resolution monitor.
Hotlink blocked.

quote:
Sorry, but I can barely see a difference.

Also, he said he's on a budget and doesn't need a high-end card, and surely the ATi HD58xx series is one of them. 2 or 5fps more won't make anyone's life better, and drivers can always make them perform better.
Even my nVidia 8500GT is able to handle 1440x900 and 1920x1080 simultaneously, even when playing The Sims 3 on high detail. Sure, it's not like a "OMG-AMAZINGLY-FAST", but runs nicely and didn't make my computer's price skyrocket.

Don't get me wrong, but I really don't see the point of NEEDING to have more than 30fps and other details the human eye can't see.

I have said over and over again he doesn't need a high end card  and a high end ATI card keeps getting suggested. :P

A 9800gt will do him fine.
01-13-2010 04:10 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: