What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Best Places to Live in the World 2010

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
Best Places to Live in the World 2010
Author: Message:
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by davidpolitis
Australia's probably number two due to our shitty internet and the filtering to be put in place!
I've been reading a lot of cases of violence in Australia of late in the newspapers. :sad:
:lol: Yeah we're all just bunch of uneducated, ignorant racists :grin:.
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
01-10-2010 06:31 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
quote:
quote:
Australia's probably number two due to our shitty internet and the filtering to be put in place!
I've been reading a lot of cases of violence in Australia of late in the newspapers. :sad:

Yes, and you should not travel here because as soon as you step off the plane all these white people will just run towards you and just start stabbing you.

Gotta love the Indian media 8-)

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 06:54 AM by Discrate.
01-10-2010 06:32 AM
davidpolitis

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010
The main thing to piss me off was this:
[Image: r495673_2592509.jpg]

Assuming that he was killed by someone not of the same race is racist in itself. Also, I don't think the cartoonist actually realises how bad the KKK were.

If anyone is to complain about our racism, it is the indigenous people of the land... what we did to them was disgusting. (Assimilation etc.)

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 06:47 AM by davidpolitis.
01-10-2010 06:40 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

36 / Male / Flag
I don't care if it's race based or not. I never even said that in my statement. The fact remains, people are being attacked. Be it nationals or not, it is the country's responsibility to take care of people in the country irrespective of whether they are nationals, visitors, student or new immigrants.

Yes, Indians have been attacked. Today's ToI (India's largest selling newspaper) states there have been 3 attacks in 10 days on Indians. Race based or not, that's a lot. I've read dozens of attack related news in the papers in the past couple of years. I don't have statistics but my estimate would be it's over 50 in the past year. And that's just Indians. If you consider everyone, I'm sure the number would be even higher. So my question to you is, don't you think the violence is high in a country where hundreds of people (even non nationals) are killed every year in random attacks?

India isn't considered to be the "safest" country on the planet. Other than terrorism (I've heard India has the highest number of terrorism caused deaths the past few years) we hardly have any non-nationals being caused harm to and every time it happens, a huge deal is made out of it.
Also, I have never seen/heard of a hold up or a random stabbing in our city and honestly, there are way better cities than Mumbai in the world when it comes to certain aspects :P

Australia being a "more developed nation", I honestly expect better. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
Once while coming back from a party me and my friends went to 7/11 and there was an indian guy working behind the counter, anyway we were being fuck heads, stealing lollies, jumping over the counter and picking up his outside microphone screaming "THIS IS A FUCKING HOLD UP" while we were doing this he was just standing back not doing anything (obviously felt threatened) But yeh, this is what stupid people do, and unfortunately these Indian students get caught up in it. They are just easy targets. :P
Well, you guys were being "fuck heads", it's not really that guy's fault, is it. I wouldn't expect him to do anything except stand back and let you do what you want and call the police once you guys leave.

Someone once said, the mark of a truly great nation is in how they treat their visitors.

Edit:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, and you should not travel here because as soon as you step off the plane all these white people will just run towards you and just start stabbing you.

Gotta love the Indian media 8-)
quote:
quote:
quote:
Wow, way to take it out of proportion.

My mistake for thinking we could actually have a civilized discussion.
Never mind.

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 07:00 AM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-10-2010 06:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I don't care if it's race based or not. I never even said that in my statement. The fact remains, people are being attacked. Be it nationals or not, it is the country's responsibility to take care of people in the country irrespective of whether they are nationals, visitors, student or new immigrants.

Yes, Indians have been attacked. Today's ToI (India's largest selling newspaper) states there have been 3 attacks in 10 days on Indians. Race based or not, that's a lot. I've read dozens of attack related news in the papers in the past couple of years. I don't have statistics but my estimate would be it's over 50 in the past year. And that's just Indians. If you consider everyone, I'm sure the number would be even higher. So my question to you is, don't you think the violence is high in a country where hundreds of people (even non nationals) are killed every year in random attacks?

India isn't considered to be the "safest" country on the planet. Other than terrorism (I've heard India has the highest number of terrorism caused deaths the past few years) we hardly have any non-nationals being caused harm to and every time it happens, a huge deal is made out of it.
Also, I have never seen/heard of a hold up or a random stabbing in our city and honestly, there are way better cities than Mumbai in the world when it comes to certain aspects :P

Australia being a "more developed nation", I honestly expect better. :)

quote:
Once while coming back from a party me and my friends went to 7/11 and there was an indian guy working behind the counter, anyway we were being fuck heads, stealing lollies, jumping over the counter and picking up his outside microphone screaming "THIS IS A FUCKING HOLD UP" while we were doing this he was just standing back not doing anything (obviously felt threatened) But yeh, this is what stupid people do, and unfortunately these Indian students get caught up in it. They are just easy targets. :P
Well, you guys were being "fuck heads", it's not really that guy's fault, is it. I wouldn't expect him to do anything except stand back and let you do what you want and call the police once you guys leave.

Someone once said, the mark of a truly great nation is in how they treat their visitors.

It would be pretty hard for the police to give extra protection to a select group of people.

Also yes there has been attacks on 3 Indians in the last 10 days, but in the last 10 days atleast 50+ white people have had crimes commited against them in Australia, shall we kick up a fuss? shall we say they are racist attacks? Should we demand to have extra protection for white people?

See my point? :P It's just random crime regardless of race or nationality.

Edit:
quote:
So my question to you is, don't you think the violence is high in a country where hundreds of people (even non nationals) are killed every year in random attacks?

I think the figure is 100 people in Australia get murdered a year, 65,000 people in India get murdered a year, and that's just the ones reported. Big difference isn't it?

Over the last 10 years 50 Australians have been either killed or bashed in India, why wasn't that reported on Indian media? it wasn't even reported here. No one even kicked up a fuss.

Crime is everywhere, no matter where you are in the world, and just because Australia is a devoloped country, doesn't mean there wont be crimes like stabbings etc and just because you haven't heard of stabbings in your city, doesn't mean they don't happen. Australia does have one of the lowest crime rates in the world, and i would go as far as to say Indians are safer here then they are in India.

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 07:12 AM by Discrate.
01-10-2010 07:00 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
It would be pretty hard for the police to give extra protection to a select group of people.
I never asked for a select group to be protected.

quote:
I think the figure is 100 people in Australia get murdered a year, 65,000 people in India get murdered a year, and that's just the ones reported. Big difference isn't it?
I'm talking about the cities. I have a feeling 100 is slightly inaccurate :P
Anyway, if a high percentage of those "100" are from one ethnic background, don't you think that's reason for concern?
[

KarunAB.com
]

/img]
01-10-2010 07:12 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
I never asked for a select group to be protected.

quote:
I'm talking about the cities. I have a feeling 100 is slightly inaccurate :P
Anyway, if a high percentage of those "100" are from one ethnic background, don't you think that's reason for concern?

Go look at my last post, i edited a few things :P

Well basically your foreign minister is asking the police to give special protection to Indians, which is a select group of people.

Crime is going to happen, not all crime can be prevented. The police can't be every where.

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 07:14 AM by Discrate.
01-10-2010 07:13 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Once while coming back from a party me and my friends went to 7/11 and there was an indian guy working behind the counter, anyway we were being fuck heads, stealing lollies, jumping over the counter and picking up his outside microphone screaming "THIS IS A FUCKING HOLD UP" while we were doing this he was just standing back not doing anything (obviously felt threatened) But yeh, this is what stupid people do, and unfortunately these Indian students get caught up in it. They are just easy targets.
Oh, dear.

You know, Discrate, I've never been a big fan of yours.  Fortunately there are other Australians here to redeem the image of your country, which if it were based on your words and actions, would be rather dim indeed.

Jesus.  I don't even want to discuss this. 
01-10-2010 07:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Once while coming back from a party me and my friends went to 7/11 and there was an indian guy working behind the counter, anyway we were being fuck heads, stealing lollies, jumping over the counter and picking up his outside microphone screaming "THIS IS A FUCKING HOLD UP" while we were doing this he was just standing back not doing anything (obviously felt threatened) But yeh, this is what stupid people do, and unfortunately these Indian students get caught up in it. They are just easy targets.
Oh, dear.

You know, Discrate, I've never been a big fan of yours.  Fortunately there are other Australians here to redeem the image of your country, which if it were based on your words and actions, would be rather dim indeed.

Jesus.  I don't even want to discuss this. 

Umm, it's called being young and stupid. This happened 3 or 4 years ago. It's not like i am the one and only person to do something stupid. I bet you did stupid stuff. Anyway my point isn't about me doing something stupid, i was trying to get the point across that Indian students are easy targets. No need for discussion on it.

Also, i don't see how the image of my country needs redeeming just because of the story i just told rofl :lol:

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 07:20 AM by Discrate.
01-10-2010 07:16 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Umm, it's called being young and stupid. This happened 3 or 4 years ago. It's not like i am the one and only person to do something stupid. I bet you did stupid stuff. Anyway my point isn't about me doing something stupid, i was trying to get the point across that Indian students are easy targets. No need for discussion on it.
Nice reasoning.
I killed someone. It's called being young and stupid. This happened 3 or 4 years ago. It's not like I am the one and only person to do it.

Saying/Implying it's not your country's fault and that another country is hyping it too much/blaming you for no reason while you admit that you did exactly what they are blaming you for is stupid.
I rest my case.

Note: I never generalized. I never blamed all the residents of the country for the actions of a few. Nor did I ever say that the Australian government should provide special protection to Indians (or any other group). I simply pointed out the attacks in response to a comment of Australia being #2 on the list. My initial comment had nothing to do with Indians being attacked, only about the attacks in general. I'd have written the same comment even if I wasn't Indian.
If any Australian felt bad about what I said, feel free to PM me and I'll explain. I never meant to hurt anyone. I was simply making a point. I have absolutely nothing against the country. In fact, I have a couple of good friends there and I hope to visit the country some day.

Furthermore, I'm done with this thread. Continue the discussion or end it here, I really don't care.
Have a nice day. :happy:
[

KarunAB.com
]

/img]
01-10-2010 07:41 AM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version