What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Graphics Card Suggestions requested

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Graphics Card Suggestions requested
Author: Message:
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
you cannot compare different generations of graphics cards... you have to wait for the latest of nvidia before you compare the new ATI... and as discrate said (well not as much detail) 512 cores > 1 core... and also C++ coding on GPU *drools*

and so what about DX11 ? games are built to be backwards compatible unless they are DX specific. also with what JA wants to do with the graphics card... DX9 would be plenty for it even, no point in DX11.

and as i have already said, ATI are only good for Anti Aliasing, which when running at 1080p doesnt do shit!
01-12-2010 04:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
you cannot compare different generations of graphics cards... you have to wait for the latest of nvidia before you compare the new ATI... and as discrate said (well not as much detail) 512 cores > 1 core... and also C++ coding on GPU *drools*

and so what about DX11 ? games are built to be backwards compatible unless they are DX specific. also with what JA wants to do with the graphics card... DX9 would be plenty for it even, no point in DX11.

and as i have already said, ATI are only good for Anti Aliasing, which when running at 1080p doesnt do shit!

Thanks, I really should have said all of that but cbf :P
01-12-2010 04:44 AM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
For that money you'll want a 5770. It's £130 in Britain, but that's with our stupid prices, I don't know what it'll be like in India. This ATI card "shits all over" the 9800GT being recommended here, it might be more expensive, but it's not a big deal. If you can get a 5850 (I paid £199, it seems to have gone up to £240...) in your budget then that's where you should go. This is the card I have, it's better than the GTX260 I used to use.

The 5000 series seeing as it is a new architecture is going to be around for a while. You're welcome to wait for nVidia's Fermi to come out, but if it's anything like the GTX200 series release then the cards will be rather expensive (at least, out of your budget).
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
01-12-2010 01:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13

The 5000 series seeing as it is a new architecture is going to be around for a while. You're welcome to wait for nVidia's Fermi to come out, but if it's anything like the GTX200 series release then the cards will be rather expensive (at least, out of your budget).

He doesn't want nor need a high end card though.
01-12-2010 01:25 PM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
andrewdodd13, how much is a 9800GT in £?
01-12-2010 01:35 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Around £70-80 from a quick search
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5186 days, 8 hours, 24 minutes, 38 seconds ago
01-12-2010 01:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
thats almost 1/2 price... of course the other cards are going to outdo the 9800...

did you even read what i said before:
quote:
you cannot compare different generations of graphics cards...

and yes, you may have compared it to both... but you compared a 5850 (which is a fairly high card in ATI) to a GTX260... they may be close but what you should be comparing to is a 280 or 285... which is a fair difference in power...

so please, when you do comparisons, do it right!
01-12-2010 02:14 PM
davidpolitis

The 5750 should cost only a little bit more than the 1GB 9800GT and apparently outperforms it. Plus, Eyefinity is nice for multiple monitor setups.

This post was edited on 01-12-2010 at 02:30 PM by davidpolitis.
01-12-2010 02:18 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
thats almost 1/2 price... of course the other cards are going to outdo the 9800...

did you even read what i said before:
quote:
you cannot compare different generations of graphics cards...

and yes, you may have compared it to both... but you compared a 5850 (which is a fairly high card in ATI) to a GTX260... they may be close but what you should be comparing to is a 280 or 285... which is a fair difference in power...

so please, when you do comparisons, do it right!
Actually the GTX285 also gets beat in certain games (source) and is currently poking around £320, but I never had one of these cards so I couldn't comment from my point of view. However, the GTX285 is definitely going to be out of JA's scope.

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
quote:

He doesn't want nor need a high end card though.
But he did say he wants it to last for a long time. A 9800GT will scrape through at 1920x1080 with AA on current games (especially seeing as it's just a remap of the 8800GT - which has been out for over two years now), but not for long.

The 5770 will survive for much longer, seeing as it has just been released and has a very good price-to-performance ratio. The 5850 will maybe last that bit longer due to its extra power.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
01-12-2010 05:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
A 9800GT will scrape through at 1920x1080 with AA on current games
im getting 80fps on mw2... thats not scraping... and thats without overclocking... this card will last for about 3 more years... yes by then it will be down to about 20-40fps for the higher end of games, but as JA said, he doesnt play those sorts of game... just low to mid end games.

and I played for about 2 years with a 6200 (this was 2 years ago), the games i that i was playing: CS: S, TF2, etc (mainly valve games). On lowest graphics i was playing at 15-20FPS... which was still reasonable to play with because i would often be up near the top of multiplayer games.
01-13-2010 01:25 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: