What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
[Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The only thing I find usefull and interesting at first sight is the suggestion for intellisense for commands.

Although some things are hard to do. Eg: your example of /sendmsg isn't the best one because opening a 'small' window with contacts to send a message to will be troubelsome if you have like 200 contacts. However, it is another thing when it is implemented as an auto-complete and only after a maximum number of contacts are filtered already by what you have typed, the popup will show. Because a popup as large as your screen isn't very helpfull.

And now that I think about it, from the top of my head I don't know any commands (except for something like a new /status command or whatever) which would actually benefit from such a popup window. For most existing commands it is either pointless to list something (as the list would be way too big) or there isn't anything to list at all.

But the idea is nice for possible future commands. But for the existing commands there isn't any command which would need it.

If I was programming Plus!, I would have to think about it but for example (again this goes back to the keyboard/mouse thing), lets say I have a user on my contact list with the email abc@aol.com and another with acd@aol.com. I would type
/sendmsg
A small tooltip would popup saying this is for sending messages without opening a window
then a space which would popup a small list with all of my contacts.
I type:
/sendmsg a
and now Im reduced to a list with with 2 contacts: abc@aol.com and acd@aol.com.
Obviously, due to the letters order abc@aol.com would be selected first. I could either hit tab (or enter) which would automatically put
/sendmsg abc@aol.com |
with the "|" repersenting where my cursor is at and another small tooltip saying enter the message you wish to send

This is a small example. It can be expanded to shift+down to select alot of contacts. Using commas such as
/sendmsg abc@aol.com,acd@aol.com "hey!"
and stuff like that.
Chris4riahc4, thank you for the example but that is exactly what "intellisense" means... And with that you have seemed to have missed the point of my reply a bit and thus haven't replied without anything new. You can not have a "small list of contacts" when you have like 200 contacts on your list.

quote:
quote:
PS: There are already many threads with lists of suggestions for a future Plus! version. Why didn't you read and posted in those? This thread will simply turn into yet another list of often repeated and already discussed stuff. :(
Could'nt find any for Plus! Live 5. Sorry :)
:s  Don't tell me you searched for "Messenger Plus! 5"... Of course you aren't going to find much specific for "Plus! 5". Suggestions are always made for _future_ versions. Take a look in this very same subforum, there are hundreds of suggestions in various threads and there are several big threads with complete lists of suggestions. It is not because a thread was made before the last version of Plus! that it wouldn't be about a suggestion for a version further in the future, like Plus!5.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Messenger Plus! 5.0 will be the start of many new sites, we just have to create the architecture now, piece of cake :p.
Many new sites? Create the architecture?

Those are the last phrases I would have thought of to see in this thread :P
many sites = new website and subsites with exciting new things. The architecture = what you have called the "API"; the foundations of the program and the overall structure. (API is actually something else than what you mean).

This post was edited on 04-22-2010 at 04:49 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-11-2010 08:41 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5
quote:
Chris4, thank you for the example but that is exactly what "intellisense" means... And with that you have seemed to have missed the point of my reply a bit and thus haven't replied without anything new. You can not have a "small list of contacts" when you have like 200 contacts on your list.

I posted that example....

Yes but "a" starts with 200 contacts................"ab" goes to 170.............."abc" goes to 30 contacts............."abcd" goes to 10 contacts..........etc etc.........

quote:
:s  Don't tell me you searched for "Messenger Plus! 5"... Of course you aren't going to find much specific for "Plus! 5". Suggestions are always made for _future_ versions. Take a look in this very same subforum, there are hundreds of suggestions in various threads and there are several big threads with complete lists of suggestions. It is not because a thread was made before the last version of Plus! that it wouldn't be about a suggestion for a version further in the future, like Plus!5.

You worded it like there was a specific thread for Plus! 5. Yes, I would like to control Plus! with my mind but obviously this isnt in the Plus! 5 wish list as the tech isnt here yet.

quote:

many sites = new website and subsites with exciting new things. The architecture = what you have called the "API"; the foundations of the program and the overall structure. (API is actually something else than what you mean).
I believe a architecture is not strictly considered a API; Yes, it has its own API but....
03-23-2010 04:48 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5
quote:
quote:
Chris4, thank you for the example but that is exactly what "intellisense" means... And with that you have seemed to have missed the point of my reply a bit and thus haven't replied without anything new. You can not have a "small list of contacts" when you have like 200 contacts on your list.

Yes but "a" starts with 200 contacts................"ab" goes to 170.............."abc" goes to 30 contacts............."abcd" goes to 10 contacts..........etc etc.........
yes, I know you posted that example, but I said that that example is exactly what "intellisense" means...  so I don't need that example (twice now) to know what you meant.

As such you haven't replied with anything I or others didn't know yet. Again, the point I was trying to make is that you can not have "a small list with contact" when you have like 200 contacts starting with the letter "a". 200 contacts is not a small list yet and if you suggested to show that in a "small" window, it is contradicting. I'm not saying the idea is bad, I was commenting that you also need to consider when or how the "small" window is shown. It doesn't matter if the number of items gets smaller when you type more of the emailadress, the initial number of items is too big to be shown entirly in a window. A window with a list of 200 contacts would be almost as big as your entire screen if you want to show them all...

quote:
quote:

You worded it like there was a specific thread for Plus! 5. Yes, I would like to control Plus! with my mind but obviously this isnt in the Plus! 5 wish list as the tech isnt here yet.
I litterally said "There are already many threads with lists of suggestions for a future Plus! version". I never spoke of Plus!5.

All the existing suggestion threads are about future versions. In fact, a suggestion is by definition always about a future version. You can't suggest something for a past version (unless you can time travel)...

And it is not because a certain version gets released, that all of sudden all the already made suggestions are forgotten and/or vanish in thin air. If a suggestion doesn't make it in version A, it usually still stands for version B.
03-24-2010 10:58 AM
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5
quote:
quote:
quote:

yes, I know you posted that example, but I said that that example is exactly what "intellisense" means...  so I don't need that example (twice now) to know what you meant.

As such you haven't replied with anything I or others didn't know yet. Again, the point I was trying to make is that you can not have "a small list with contact" when you have like 200 contacts starting with the letter "a". 200 contacts is not a small list yet and if you suggested to show that in a "small" window, it is contradicting. I'm not saying the idea is bad, I was commenting that you also need to consider when or how the "small" window is shown. It doesn't matter if the number of items gets smaller when you type more of the emailadress, the initial number of items is too big to be shown entirly in a window. A window with a list of 200 contacts would be almost as big as your entire screen if you want to show them all...

I don't think he actually means to display all of them. It could work if you limit the list to, for example, 10 contacts at a time. Then when you type "a" it would get the first 10 contacts beginning with a and display them. Then when you type the next letter, e.g. "b" it would remove any that don't begin with "ab" and try to fill the list again but only up to a maximum of 10.

Maybe referring to it as intellisense is a bad idea, more like Google Suggest or something along those lines (well maybe not like Suggest because that's based on popularity, but you get the idea (i hope :P)).
03-24-2010 11:26 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5
quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
I don't think he actually means to display all of them. It could work if you limit the list to, for example, 10 contacts at a time. Then when you type "a" it would get the first 10 contacts beginning with a and display them. Then when you type the next letter, e.g. "b" it would remove any that don't begin with "ab" and try to fill the list again but only up to a maximum of 10.

Maybe referring to it as intellisense is a bad idea, more like Google Suggest or something along those lines (well maybe not like Suggest because that's based on popularity, but you get the idea (i hope :P)).
Hmmm yeah, that's another nice way of doing it (And it would indeed be more a "Suggest" than a "Intellisense" feature if it went that way). But because of that, personally, I like a "Intellisense" approach better than a "Google Suggest" approach, as the first would be more accurate.

PS: a very simple way to keep on using a "small" window and yet having 200 contacts displayed (for example), is to have a simple scrollbar I guess...

This post was edited on 03-24-2010 at 12:08 PM by CookieRevised.
03-24-2010 12:07 PM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
A better editor for colour in nicknames :P

Like A WYSIWYG editor. :D
03-24-2010 03:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
You mean like this:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=991031]

?

.jpg File Attachment: ss.jpg (10.15 KB)
This file has been downloaded 408 time(s).
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5211 days, 15 hours, 49 minutes, 41 seconds ago
03-24-2010 03:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
No like, you can enter your name, highlight it and see it visually chnage colour. Like a WYSIWYG editor :)
03-24-2010 04:09 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
I don't think that Messenger Plus! Live can affect the display of that text box in that way....and you can still see the effect at the top of the contact list...
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5211 days, 15 hours, 49 minutes, 41 seconds ago
03-24-2010 07:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
It can, for example I make my name and instead of putting it in directly it just outputs the codes I need to put in :P

Get what I mean? :)
03-24-2010 07:05 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: