What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work
Author: Message:
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work
When you uninstall WLM 2010 you need to make sure you remove the whole Windows Live Essentials Beta from the Programs list in Control Panel.

You could try ZapMessenger or a clean install before attempting to reinstalling your OS.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
03-25-2010 03:47 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Interesting... did a little test and it does indeed seem to be an issue tied to your account (not the the pc) caused by signing in to the leaked Windows Live Messenger 2010.

I took 2 virtual machines, both running the same OS (Win7 in this case). Both machines already had Live Messenger 2009 (and Messenger Plus!) installed on them. Messenger 2010 or anything else Wave 4 related was never installed on these systems. Signed in to Messenger on both systems, each with their own account. Account 'A' is a test account recently used to login to the leaked Messenger 2010 build on another machine. Account 'B' is another test account which never logged in to Messenger 2010.
I can send files from account 'A' to account 'B'. But trying to send a file from account 'B' to account 'A' fails with this message:
quote:
Originally posted by Error from Windows Live Messenger 2009
The invitation to start File Transfer could not be sent because Trithix is using an older version of Windows Live Messenger.
Just to be sure it wasn't related to the system in some way I swapped systems and logged each account in at the other system. Results are the same: Account 'A' which previously logged in to Live Messenger 2010 on another account cannot receive files (only send). Account 'B' which never touched Live Messenger 2010 can receive and send files without any problem. I'm sure account 'A' will have problems with video chat too as you say, can't test it on a virtual machine.

[Image: The-invitation-to-start-File-Transfer-co...senger.png]

Pretty interesting. No idea what you could do to fix this, and since it is was caused by using a leaked build you can't expect support from Microsoft either. I'm just glad I only did it on a rarely used test account ;). Oh well, good warning showing leaked builds and patches are never risk free.

This post was edited on 03-25-2010 at 09:10 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
03-25-2010 08:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
dskill

I found a way to solve the problem, login with the account affected in iloveim (select the older version at bottom of the page), login again in WLM 2009 and ask a friend to send you a file.

It works for me. :)
03-25-2010 09:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
Confirmed, I experienced similar issues - tested with seperate VMs, like Menthix did.

After signing in on the leaked WLM 2010 (using the patch which is being circulated), contacts won't be able to nudge you, send you files/voiceclips/winks or initiate video/audio calls/games etc with you on that account (although you can still initiate games/calls yourself).
This persists even when you sign in with that account on WLM 2009 afterwards, with the error message Menthix posted and the options being greyed out.

quote:
Originally posted by dskill
I found a way to solve the problem, login with the account affected in iloveim (select the older version at bottom of the page), login again in WLM 2009 and ask a friend to send you a file.
Doesn't seem to work for me. Tried iloveim, meebo and microsoft's web messenger, but the features still don't work when signing in on WLM 2009 afterwards.

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
I'm just glad I only did it on a rarely used test account
same :p

edit: Tested it with another account, same results.

Conclusion: Signing in to the leaked WLM 2010 will break stuff, even when you switch back to WLM 2009.

This post was edited on 03-25-2010 at 11:23 PM by andrey.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
03-25-2010 10:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dskill

RE: RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
Doesn't seem to work for me, tried with both iloveim and microsoft live web messenger..

Sorry, when i logged in with laptop the problem apear again :S

Tomorrow i will test again.
03-25-2010 11:22 PM
Spazy

O.P. RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work
tried it too doesnt work for me either.. also tried ebbudy too.. same shit different day.

i also tried to change the address on my hotmail account, hoping it would refresh something that would make it work again.. but no such luck.

lesson learned i will never try anything like this with my main account :D
hehe

actually i think this is funny, and i really hope microsoft has done this on purpose.. its our own problem to go around and install a leaked build, we have no business doing so, and this is a good way to burn us that do it xD

any other ideas what to do?
03-25-2010 11:43 PM
dskill

i've tryied delete my account from windows live and create another with the same mail but don't work, keeps saying that i'm using and older version.

This post was edited on 03-26-2010 at 01:41 PM by dskill.
03-26-2010 01:41 PM
sq1

Maybe this was caused by the patch used to signin with the wave 3 protocol? don't know who made it, but i think that can be the cause...
03-26-2010 04:41 PM
dskill

RE: RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work
quote:
Originally posted by sq1
Maybe this was caused by the patch used to signin with the wave 3 protocol? don't know who made it, but i think that can be the cause...

But if the patch was the cause maybe deleting the patch solves the problem, but not happens.

I think if the patch was the cause we can't receive files in any version and this only happens with WLM2009.

03-26-2010 05:07 PM
Spazy

O.P. RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work
So far we know it has nothing to do with our computers, no matter what we try it will still not work to receive files. So something has changed on microsofts servers for each account that has signed in to wlm 2010..
I am waiting til i find 15.3 or some other new build to see if that changes something.

If you log on to webmessenger, keep being logged in, and then open up WLM 2009 and log in, you will be able to receive files with the "damaged" account, or at least that works for me.
03-26-2010 06:14 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: