What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Looking into buying a new laptop...

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Looking into buying a new laptop...
Author: Message:
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
O.P. Roll Eyes  Looking into buying a new laptop...
Yo,

I'm entering the buyers market for a new high performance laptop & currently doing some deep research what will get me the most bang for my buck.  I've found a few somewhat decent articles on 2010 reviews, but I also wanted to hear from you guys. 

What is the 'go to' website for PC/laptop reviews, which I should already be aware of & utilizing?  Also, do you have any specific laptop suggestions?  It's primary use will be business project management & network management.  I'll also use it for amatur graphic design and maybe WoW.  I care about speed & ability to multi task way more than how awesome the gaming graphics are.

Thank you in advance!
03-30-2010 03:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Looking into buying a new laptop...
First of all choose on a display size and resolution first and whether you want to take this laptop to places (weight/battery) or you will be using it as a desktop replacement, this will narrow the selection down a bit depending on what you're looking for.

Second decide which features are an absolute must (DVD Burner/ Wireless N/ >xGB RAM?). And choose some kind of a price range you're willing to spend.

Once you have some idea on that you can start looking at individual reviews or ask people to make recommendations. Without it there's just too much to make a proper choice from.

EDIT: Don't let your choice depend on brand too much. I can give you horror stories as well as customers loving the same product for all of the big manufacturers. Everybody makes crappy and nice models. And what djdannyp said.

This post was edited on 04-01-2010 at 01:35 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
03-30-2010 03:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
As long as you don't get Acer. There build quality is crap, and there warranty service is even worse.

I have a notebook and a netbook. The notebook has 2/3 USB ports working, keys come off and the lid is basically now glued together.

However, the netbook is great.
03-30-2010 04:02 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Use something like Dabs or Insight which have really decent laptop selectors to narrow it down by the specs.

Then you can Google for reviews of the models you find.

Also try Youtube & CNet....they often have videos of unboxings or of the models running, that can give you a better idea than pictures

This post was edited on 03-30-2010 at 06:47 PM by djdannyp.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5207 days, 2 hours, 23 minutes, 13 seconds ago
03-30-2010 04:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
dell have got some great offers on i7 laptops at the minute

edit:
or at least they did last week. can't see the £200+ off offer anymore
still quite a few good deals

This post was edited on 03-30-2010 at 06:54 PM by toddy.
03-30-2010 06:39 PM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Take a look at that thread : http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=886782

my personal repply is a few pages in, nickname bero2.1 there.
It's what I strongly believe.
03-30-2010 07:28 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
for those lazy people like me (and also thinking why not just repost rather than link :dodgy:)

quote:
Hello,

I'm pretty new here (read a lot of the threads and news but just signed up to answer this thread).
Working in both consumer and corporate markets, I totally agree on what has been mentioned earlier about the consumer vs. business laptop, and would like to add a few things:

All major brands will have their own technology, Lenovo Thinkpads have their roll cage, and spill proof keyboards, HP's EliteBook will have their hard drive protection etc.
The thing is, that these technology are not put into the consumer level notebooks. The reason is simple; people want the cheapest computers possible, so it's impossible to offer that without impacting quality.

Business laptops (from all brands really, Dell Vostros, Lenovo Thinkpads, Hp EliteBooks, Toshiba Tecras) are made to be a lot more solid.
They integrate each company's technologies and allow them to last longer while also having some more power efficient processors.

A few years ago, the price difference between a consumer and a business laptop was huge (over 500 or 600$ for the same configuration), making it a hard choice to make.
Nowadays, the price gap has gone down in major way, and the 200 or 300$ price difference is basically the price of an extended warranty that I highly recommend when buying a consumer market laptop.

A lot of people will state that their old HP or Toshiba's lasted them over 10 years without a problem. Keep in mind that this was 10 years ago.
The laptops then cost a fortune to produce, quality was higher and the specs were so minimal that there was barely any modules that could break.
Today, a simple laptop has a webcam, microphone, SD card reader, WiFi, CD/DVD burner as a base model, all cramped up, making all of the small pieces not only turning faster, but also being produced a lot cheaper.

My advice is exactly what I did: get a business laptop, spend the 200$ difference (in my case it was 150$) and get a laptop that will truly last you longer.
Keep in mind that having a business notebook, as mentioned previously will also give you better and faster technical support in case anything happens.

That is my two cents.
A proud Thinkpad T400 owner.
03-30-2010 08:05 PM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
for those lazy people like me (and also thinking why not just repost rather than link :dodgy:)

because i believe the thread is an interesting read that could give him different people's opinions..
03-30-2010 08:07 PM
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Looking into buying a new laptop...
Menthix, you make an extremely valid point.  Due to the amount of variety in the market, it's pointless for me to ask for suggestions without providing the simple details you listed above. 

albert, thank you for that link. Your post & the others in the thread provide some good feedback.

-Something more towards a "business laptop"
-Brands mean nothing to me.
-17 Inch Screen.
-capable of 1280 x 960 resolution.
-It will see it's fair share of traveling I need it to be reliable & efficient while 'seeing the world'.   
-Build in wireless card is a plus.
-Decent battery life, although I'm not sure what a 'decent battery life' is now days.... I'll say... 4-5 hours. Where does that rank?
-DVD burner is a must. Blue-ray reader would be nice.
-At least 2-3 USB ports.
-500gb Hard Drive
-3gb ram
-
04-01-2010 04:04 AM
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
A 17" screen makes it no longer a "laptop" and more into the category of portable desktop. They are HUGE and not feesable for frequent travel.

A laptop with a 17" screen will also have a much HIGHER resolution then 1280x960, My 13" Macbook Pro has a resolution of 1280x800, The 15" Macbook Pro has a resolution of 1440x900 and the 17" version having a resolution of 1920x1200. Most PC laptops are going to have similar resolutions these days.

I'll throw out my honest recommendation, A 15" Macbook Pro would do you well, you can get a refurbished model pretty cheap. My 13" Macbook Pro (the current unibody model) that I've had for about a year and change now still holds about 4 to 5 hours of battery life and despite my pretty solid use of it both around home and at work (out and about doing IT consulting), it still looks like new. It's amazing how well it works. It also runs Windows 7 like a champ.
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
04-01-2010 04:59 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: