What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Vista Aero on Vista Home Basic?

Vista Aero on Vista Home Basic?
Author: Message:
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Vista Aero on Vista Home Basic?
Does anyone know how to get/put the Vista Aero Glass theme onto a vista home basic laptop?

It's not really a big issue it just doesn't look as nice when I switch between laptops!

I just thought I'd ask, am hoping the solution would be really basic... if not, oh well!

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
04-05-2010 02:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Vista Aero on Vista Home Basic?
It appears to be quite simple.

Solved:
http://www.ghacks.net/2007/05/13/enable-vista-aer...-vista-home-basic/

quote:
Microsoft decided that The Aero interface would not be available for Windows Vista Home Basic users. I personally dislike the new trend to offer several versions of a program with different functionality naming them basic, premium and ultimate. It confuses consumers who have enough troubles to work with the operating system less alone deciding which of the many versions of Windows Vista would suit their needs.

It is apparently not a big problem to enable the Vista Aero interface in Windows Vista Home Basic even though it is officially not included in that version. All you need to do is to change the values of two registry keys and restart Windows Vista afterwards. Open the registry by pressing Windows + R, typing regedit and hitting enter afterwards.

Navigate to the key Hkey_Current_User \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ DWM \ and change the value of the entry Composition to 1 and the value of CompositionPolicy to 0.

Now you can select the Aero interface by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting Personalize from the menu. Switch to Colors and Appearance and click on Classic Appearance Properties.. and choose Windows Vista Aero from the menu.

EDIT: hmm, apparently Aero isnt transparents... Aero Glass is? Damnit

This post was edited on 04-05-2010 at 02:59 PM by M73A.

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
04-05-2010 02:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
davidm_silva

Yeah, I know my english is terrible.

– / Male / Flag
RE: Vista Aero on Vista Home Basic?
Aero is a theme for Windows Vista and does not include transparency effects, since those are part of Aero Glass, and this last one is only avalible on Windows Home Premium and above.
You can, however, install Glass2k. It will probably turn transparency effects on or won't run at all since it was not designed for Windows Vista. Give it a try.
04-05-2010 06:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: