What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » WLM - in cam settings/cam control Zoom is greyed out

WLM - in cam settings/cam control Zoom is greyed out
Author: Message:
elstree

O.P. WLM - in cam settings/cam control Zoom is greyed out
Microsoft LifeCam VX-800 Webcam and Windows Live Messenger

I purposely chose the above webcam as it was compatible with 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7.  My old Trust webcam worked fine with Vista but did not with Windows 7 hence the new camera.

The camera installed no problem but I am frustrated to find that in WLM  Webcam Settings/Camera Control that everything is greyed out except for Exposure.  I cannot Zoom as I did do with the old camera. I have done everything to remedy this - Repair Windows Live Messenger in Control panel /Install and downloaded other up to date Drivers.  Why am I unable to use Zoom? It is really annoying as as i said I bought a Microsoft camera that was absolutely compatible with Windows 7. No CD rom came with the camera -  it was instantly recognised by by laptop and installed.

I was able to use Camera Settings - Camera Control - Zoom with my old old Trust  camera and Vista with no problems.

Any help much appreciated!
04-10-2010 11:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: WLM - in cam settings/cam control Zoom is greyed out
Read this.  Bottom line: lower your resolution.

I don't know where exactly you go to set the resolution when using the camera with Messenger, but would imagine you can find it somewhere in the Audio/Video settings or someone else can tell you. 

Edit: upon a second look, the article seems to be saying zoom is not supported in "video capture mode."  I have no idea what other modes there are, so I don't know what that means.  If it is video vs. taking a still photo, then that would seem to say zoom won't be supported using the camera for Messenger video chats.  If it means something else, then lowering the resolution should still fix it.

This post was edited on 04-10-2010 at 04:32 PM by Adeptus.
04-10-2010 04:19 PM
elstree

O.P. RE: RE: WLM - in cam settings/cam control Zoom is greyed out
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Read this.  Bottom line: lower your resolution.

I don't know where exactly you go to set the resolution when using the camera with Messenger, but would imagine you can find it somewhere in the Audio/Video settings or someone else can tell you. 

Edit: upon a second look, the article seems to be saying zoom is not supported in "video capture mode."  I have no idea what other modes there are, so I don't know what that means.  If it is video vs. taking a still photo, then that would seem to say zoom won't be supported using the camera for Messenger video chats.  If it means something else, then lowering the resolution should still fix it.

Thanks for reply. Can I explain - I go to :

Audio & Video Set up ---- Webcam Settings -----Video Proc Amp and this tab is OK  - That tab shows Brightness Contrast Hue Saturation etc etc and  are all fine - I can adjust them. 

But click on next tab "Camera Control" and the only command in bold letters is Exposure.  All the other commands are greyed out - Zoom Focus Aperture etc etc.  Even Low Light Compensation tick box is greyed out. I cannot understand how I was able to simply click on Zoom on my previous computer and zoom in with the camera in video mode.

04-10-2010 06:39 PM
Adeptus

RE: WLM - in cam settings/cam control Zoom is greyed out
All I can say is you erred in your assumption that the Microsoft product was the best choice.  If your purchase is within the return/exchange time frame offered by your retailer, try something different.  I like Logitech for my peripherals, but would advise you to research the particular product you are considering to make sure it does everything you will expect.

This post was edited on 04-10-2010 at 07:30 PM by Adeptus.
04-10-2010 07:29 PM
elstree

O.P. RE: WLM - in cam settings/cam control Zoom is greyed out
Thanks Adeptus - yes i only bought it on 31/03/10 so will return it.

Is it better to buy a cam that comes with a CD ROM rather than rely on it installing on my laptop simply be plugging it in? I only ask because my experience of these plug and off-you go appliances has not been a happy one!

04-10-2010 07:51 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: