What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Offensive sound

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Offensive sound
Author: Message:
rh

– / Male / –
RE: Offensive sound
hi!

i would also recommend not to use the sound if you don't like it, or switch off the sound option as whole.

i also have to say that i would find it kind of scary if we would remove this sound, just because it offends some people. i mean, there is a right of free speech, and i personally don't think that it is the right choice to limit your own freedom of speech. noone forces you to use these sounds, and so you have the freedom to not use them - so in any case you have all freedoms. but on the other side: there are people who want to use this sound (e.g. myself) and if you remove it, you will take away my freedom and there is no way to compensate this. i cannot simply decide to still use them if they got removed, while you can decide to simply NOT use them while they are there. lets keep our personal freedoms as big as possible.

you know, i personally could decide, that i think "terminator" is hurting my feelings, and the "imperial march" etc. this way all the sounds would have to be removed out of plus!
and i could decide that independent journalists hurt my feelings too. and anyone who is critizising the government etc.pp. i could even decide that i find anyone offensive who has a different opinion from mine. if everyone else would respect this, any democratic discussion would be impossible. we would end up in some kind of a "dictatorship of the conformists".

BTW: i know not one christian whose feelings would be hurt because of the "Oh my god"-sound, but perhaps thats different with the christians here in europe - i don't know.
04-29-2003 11:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
STMB

39 / Male / –
I'm Christian and I DON'T find this sound offensive.  I'm used to people swearing, and "Oh my god" isn't that bad compared to what I'm used to hear.  I actually use that sound sometimes, I find it more funny than offensive.  Of course, I respect the people who say that it is offensive, it's their opinion. 
When people says that you are not good at doing bad things, is it a good thing?
04-29-2003 11:50 PM
AeRoOrAnGe

– / Female / –
the Plus! sounds piss me off all together, but I just turn them off. I agree completely with people who don't think it should be removed, it's become more of a slang term in the US and people use it all the time. i understand that some people may find it offensive, but then just dont use it. i think a "christian version" would be a waste of time, and that if you want to go to that much work, just make it so that you can pick what specific sounds you want or dont want (or perhaps make it so that you can add you own .WAV sounds to play when the command is typed; just like you can for when contacts log in/out).
[i]So I crawled from the twisted, burnin' wreckage
I crawled on my hands and knees for three full days
Draggin' along my big leather suitcase and my garment bag
And my tenor saxophone and my twelve-pound bowling ball
And my lucky lucky autographed glow-in-the-dark snorkel
04-30-2003 12:41 AM
wacky

Chromo :wink:

– / – / Flag
RE: RE: Offensive sound
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Henry Hill (in King Of The Hill)

It's actually Hank Hill (Henry Hill is the french one!!:P)!!But it doesnt matter...

I'm a Christian. I agree that it's offensive to some, but not to me. This is a free world. We are allowed to say what ever we want. Many people find it funny(including me) and we want to continue having that sound. U dont have to use it if u dont want it. I bet u their are more people thats would want to keep it than the ones that don't. So, I just think we should keep it... but that is MY point of view...

04-30-2003 01:07 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
KMD

Samurize Crew

56 / Male / Flag
Not to add to the problem at hand but don't we have anything better to rant about? With all the other major goings on in the world, this seems very trivial to me. No offense, just life is too short to get tied up in the little things. My 2 cents!:-)

Also, thanks Patchou for this amazing FREE add on, you are very generous for sharing this (for free) with the rest of us! Hats off for a fantastic job!
[Image: Signature.JPEG]
04-30-2003 02:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
I don't find the sound offensive. As Patchou said, its a very common phrase, not only in North America, but at least as far as i know it's very  common in Hispanic countries.

It's not used against Religion, Christianity. It's just a common phrase to express Surprise. The meaning of that phrase is probably, "Oh My God", asking God to help you understand the situation that surprises you.

Of course, in MSN is used more generally, and as a joke. But not a joke directed against God. I don't find it a lack of respect.
04-30-2003 02:41 AM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
maybe patchou could make the config dialog so you can enable disable or custom configure (ony the sounds you want to hear) the sounds. like:
(_) enable (_) disable (x) custom
------------------------------------------
|_|omg
|x|evillaugh
|x|bye
05-02-2003 01:01 AM
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams — they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as religions do — they all contain truths."
Muhammad Ali

Just about sums it up i think
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
05-02-2003 09:07 AM
jpg050

41 / Male / Flag
Here is Spain most of us are Catholic Christians and use that expresion everytime, like asking God to help us, that's simply a pray xD

Anyway, if it was offensive, everyone should be offended, Christian God (Or Jehová, or whatever name) ain't the only god around here...
05-02-2003 10:14 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pure_BY
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
I have been livin' in Belarus for 12 years, and Belarus is a very christian country. Many people belive in God there, and go to chearch very often. And *everyone* is using this expression over there, it is ABSOLUTELY normal. We say that it is very bad to say "Ohhh hell!", because that's like you ask the help from hell. If you say "ohh my God!", it looks like you ask help from God, and people even say it all the time especially because they belive God will help them.

As about me -- i say "Ohh FUCK!!!!" or "ohh SHIT!!" all the time, so i dont give a fuck :gfdrin:

And i like the new sound, and i agree that it MUST stay. If anybody does not like it --> dont use it.

That's it.

This post was edited on 05-02-2003 at 04:59 PM by Pure_BY.
05-02-2003 04:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: