What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » partially

partially
Author: Message:
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. partially
Hi

is there a player that i can download that would allow me to watch partially downloaded video from the internet?...in other words if i am downloading a large video clip and i want to watch it to see if i like it before i download the entire clip is there a player that will allow me to watch it?
06-03-2010 02:14 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: partially
There probably is and somebody will point you to a special player or browser plugin for that. 

I just wanted to share the method for doing it without anything special if you just want to do this rarely.  If you know the folder the file is downloading to, you can typically go and copy the partially downloaded file.  You will want to make a copy of it rather than try to open the file itself, as doing so may interfere with the download.  You may also need to rename the copy to have the correct extension. 

At that point, most types of video files will play in most of the usual players.  There are just a few codecs that won't like it. 

This will work with files being downloaded from the web of FTP sites. Torrents are downloaded as tiny blocks in no particular order, so the whole file has "holes" all over until it is complete (unless you can find a torrent client with a special setting for this).

06-03-2010 02:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: partially
VLC can do this, just don't try to repair the file and it should be fine.
[Image: markee.png]
06-03-2010 03:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: