What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Cross Platform concurrent sign-on (W7/iPhone/MacBook)

Cross Platform concurrent sign-on (W7/iPhone/MacBook)
Author: Message:
cjraven

O.P. Cross Platform concurrent sign-on (W7/iPhone/MacBook)
Hi folks,
Just wondering if the hive mind can come up with some ideas here.

I use MessengerPlus! on Windows 7 - what's not to love! It permits (under certain circumstances) a second connection to the same account. In my case I'm perhaps trying to do the impossible.

I have
1 Windows wkstn - Windows 7 (Messenger Plus! MSN client)
1 iPhone (IM+ MSN client)

1 MacBook

I can connect to an MSN account using Messenger Plus!, and IM+ on the iPhone. All communications on one are repeated on the other. Lovely, couldn't ask for better. Apart from anything else, it makes history hunting for a URL/statistic easier...to put it mildly.

I wonder if anyone knows whether a third connection is possible - under the above circumstances - with a Mac OSX client? I've tried Adium and aMSN. Both kick MessengerPlus! (on the windows workstation) and IM+ (on the iPhone) off immediately, and "take over" as sole sign-on.

As of now, I've more or less concluded that this is impossible, but I wonder if anyone else has tried this - found it possible - and would care to share their ideas on how best this could be accomplished.

Regards & TIA,
Colin
06-12-2010 11:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Cross Platform concurrent sign-on (W7/iPhone/MacBook)
Actually, it's Windows Live Messenger that permits a second connection to the same account.  Messenger Plus! Live allows you to sign into multiple accounts from the same location.

Unfortunately, the MPoP (Multiple Points of Presence) feature of Windows Live Messenger only works when using the main client, signing in on any other clients or ports of it won't allow you to remain signed in.

Also, please be clear in your terminology.  Windows Live Messenger (WLM) is a chat program (formerly known as MSN Messenger) made by Microsoft, Messenger Plus! Live (MP!L) is an add-on for Windows Live Messenger which adds some extra functionality and features

This post was edited on 06-12-2010 at 11:55 AM by djdannyp.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5213 days, 7 hours, 57 minutes, 5 seconds ago
06-12-2010 11:54 AM
cjraven

O.P. RE: Cross Platform concurrent sign-on (W7/iPhone/MacBook)
Thank you for your insights. This becomes even more puzzling.

Prior to installing Messenger Plus! If I attempted concurrent connections (as described in the initial post) nothing worked. Once Messenger Plus! was installed, I was able to make a second connection to the same account with the iPhone client.
How odd!
06-12-2010 12:06 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Cross Platform concurrent sign-on (W7/iPhone/MacBook)
As djdannyp said, Messenger Plus! has got nothing todo with Messenegr's MPOP feature.

It was probably just coincidence that it didn't worked before, or maybe you had MPOP disabled in Messenger.

Note that MPOP can be done from any client though, you don't need the official Messenger client for that. However, the used client must support it of course, and as of now, I don't know any client (except the official ones) which support it... So yeah, in a way: only possible from official (and the latest!) clients.

This post was edited on 06-12-2010 at 05:21 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-12-2010 05:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: