What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Essentials Public Beta release

Pages: (31): « First « 17 18 19 20 [ 21 ] 22 23 24 25 » Last »
Essentials Public Beta release
Author: Message:
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
You can't use the compact mode in full screen..
Why would you want to maximise a list of vertical contacts?
So your attention is focused on Messenger and not any background windows..

Do you have ADHD or something?  It's REALLY not very hard to look at the contact list window....and it's not like you sit staring at it :P.

Basically it's just people picking fault where there isn't really any, just the same as happens everytime a new version is released....because despite using one of the quickest changing mediums in the world (technology) some people are insistent on not wanting anything to change and wanting things to always stay how they are....and equating change with things getting worse.

People need to quit their whining :P.  It's the same old song and dance as every single time a new version Messenger's come out for as along as I can remember.  Yes, there are a few GENUINE problems (show me a beta product that doesn't and I'll show you a finished product), but most of what people are moaning about aren't problems, they're just change.

Notice how it's exactly the opposite when Apple bring out something new :P.  Everyone creams over how amazing it is, how it has all these "new features" (NB: These are the same as the "problems" that people report with Microsoft stuff!)....I guess the parity here is that your average Apple user knows what they're talking about and can accept things moving on ;)
I don't even know where to begin with this.
[Image: jumbled.png]
07-01-2010 09:54 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
breath

RE: RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Originally posted by breath
Still it's not activated but there will be a limited friend option to choose which friends can see what.
There was a "profile only friends" limited group, but Microsoft removed it.
There was a privacy setting to not show your last name, but Microsoft removed it.
You were able to set your own name to whatever you like (not forced to first and last name), but Microsoft removed it.

There are a tons of part where you can see that there is a limited friends group in the privacy settings, but there is still no option to activate it, someone asked in the forum and they said the option is still nor ready(actually there are tons of posts about it).
http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=2...-89b3-182ebb1db141

"We haven't yet enabled the ability to do that, but we hope to turn it on in the coming weeks.

Sorry about the delay in getting this feature out."

If you have problem type whatever you want in the first name, and a dot in the last name...

This post was edited on 07-01-2010 at 10:05 PM by breath.
07-01-2010 10:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
If you have problem type whatever you want in the first name, and a dot in the last name...

There are some different kinds of spaces that you can use for the last name to get it to essentially show up as blank, as referred to by Menthix earlier in this thread:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_(punctuation)#Table_of_spaces
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5186 days, 9 hours, 33 minutes, 32 seconds ago
07-01-2010 10:12 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
You can do that, we've already been over that. But it doesn't solve any of the real important issues:

* People's full names will still be shown once they install the new Messenger without them being warned about it. This is a privacy issue.
* There is still no setting to hide my last name even though the Live site claims there is. Even when they add the limited friends group, as long as there is no privacy control for your name this doesn't change anything.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
07-01-2010 10:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
...and in the mean time profile-only contacts are also converted to full 'friends', instead of limited friends. Which again, results in possible privacy issues. Although you first have to confirm this move on your profile.

[rant start] But what is actually happening behind the scenes and what the consequences might be of this move isn't well known ('hidden' behind some links and not very clear blahblah, which a lot of people would never read anyways since we all know how much people click on small 'read more' or 'help' links before actually pressing on a big button saying "click here now" (so to speak)) [/rant]

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
You can't use the compact mode in full screen..
Why would you want to maximise a list of vertical contacts?

Well, they do now spread horizontally if you expand the width of the window rather than maximise. Just do that if you really want it bigger.
Which is exactly the main thing I don't like about the new contact list layout. There is no way to tell Messenger when to split in multiple columns, or how many columns maximum to use. The main problem is that it switches way to soon to multiple columns, especially considering wide screens.

This is an issue I already pointed out in februari; not everybody has short names or very short PSM's. There really should be a setting where you can decide how many (at max) columns you want imho. Such a setting is a win-win situation. People would still be able to make the layout they want (eg: 1 column), and MS can still show-off with its 'intelligent' and automated reordening of the list if you have it set to two or more.

This post was edited on 07-02-2010 at 02:55 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-02-2010 01:38 AM
Misaki Ki

WLM - LMC!

So what's missing from 2009? Display names for sure. Don't believe I saw any animated gifs in the conversation windows. Backgrounds were cut right, same with window colors? (Aside from when viewing pictures)

Also seems like I couldn't talk to anyone while appearing offline, and I'd mention "View Webcam" but they removed that from 2009 as well.
07-02-2010 02:31 AM
breath

RE: RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
quote:
You can do that, we've already been over that. But it doesn't solve any of the real important issues:

* People's full names will still be shown once they install the new Messenger without them being warned about it. This is a privacy issue.
* There is still no setting to hide my last name even though the Live site claims there is. Even when they add the limited friends group, as long as there is no privacy control for your name this doesn't change anything.

You can set to not show your contact information, you can even set to show them to "Just me".

Don't know how the nickname change in that case, but if you change your name, put a blank space in your last name as you said, and put show personal contact information to "just me" or to  "Some friends (except limited access)" you show nothing to none. So i still don't see the problem.

The first thing that appears when you log in the new messenger is the status with your name, at least i noticed it really soon, and i went to search where the option to change the nick was on Google. Yeah could be more clear probably, overall cause it's a change from msn 2009, but i won't say it's a hidden change.

I preferred the old way, but really i don't care a lot of it, as far as i can hide it, it's ok. Anyway in other social networks (now windows live pratically is a social network) usually your name and your contact infor have the same privacy options.

This post was edited on 07-02-2010 at 09:00 AM by breath.
07-02-2010 08:58 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Essentials Public Beta release
well i gotta say, im liking Trillian even more than i ever have seeing this load of crap from Microsoft
07-02-2010 09:02 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
You can set to not show your contact information, you can even set to show them to "Just me".
True, but contact information doesn't include your name. Even when you set 'Contact information' to 'Just me' your full name will still be shown to all your friends (or worse).

quote:
put a blank space in your last name as you said
Again, that's not the point. Once people sign in to the new Messenger it is already too late. Their real name is shown to all their contacts, privacy broken. The user should be asked if it is ok to show their real name to their contacts before anything happens.

The only setting which affects showing your name in some way is 'Who can find me and see my profile' and this one can't be set to 'Just me' or 'Some friends (except limited access)'. This setting will hide your entire profile from the public.
[Image: who-can-find-me-and-see-my-profile.png]
But even then all your friends can still see your full name, so it still didn't fix the problem.

quote:
The first thing that appears when you log in the new messenger is the status with your name
At which point your privacy is already breached since all your contacts can see that too.

quote:
as far as i can hide it
You can't. All you can do is fill in false information.

quote:
in other social networks
Other social networks which publish your real name did that since they started. I was aware of it when I created my account. Windows Live changed their policy in a way that it decreases privacy compared to what I signed up for. Another company which did exactly that recently is Facebook, they got a lot of heat from the media, some people deleted their profiles because of it, someone created a 'quit facebook day', and eventually Facebook was forced to respond and revert certain changes. These things are not just an annoyance, it is a privacy issue.

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
im liking Trillian even more than i ever have seeing this load of crap from Microsoft
Ironically using Trillian you will still show up with your real name to your contacts using Messenger 2010. Most people probably won't even be aware of that until one of their contacts tells them.

This post was edited on 07-02-2010 at 09:58 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
07-02-2010 09:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
Ironically using Trillian you will still show up with your real name to your contacts using Messenger 2010. Most people probably won't even be aware of that until one of their contacts tells them.
Trillian doesnt have the latest MSNP Version so i highly doudt that  it may have updated protocols in trillian5, however Privacy on the net is becoming less an less cared for by anyone. its all about $$$$$$ these days. its your choice at the end of the day, i dont have Ads in Trilian Pro.  look at Google with Andriod even they can delete or whatever from your phone. Privacy is becoming a thing of the past. 

just set a false name. i dont see people on my facebook using there real name, nore do i see people on my MSN having there real name displayed

get in contact with this dude http://www.honeybeenet.altervista.org/homepage/ he'll tell you all about Privacy or a lack of it on  the net.

This post was edited on 07-02-2010 at 10:54 AM by Hank.
07-02-2010 10:48 AM
Pages: (31): « First « 17 18 19 20 [ 21 ] 22 23 24 25 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: