What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » [!] WLM 2011 and Messenger Plus! Live

Pages: (8): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
[!] WLM 2011 and Messenger Plus! Live
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [!] WLM 2011 BETA and Messenger Plus! Live
quote:
Originally posted by Kafman

About your post Patchou, you're beeing a little subjective there, you have released beta software too, and for some people Messenger crashed after the installation, and for other people it worked fine... that's why it's called BETA... :P
Well, the thing is, I don't recall releasing a beta of Messenger Plus! that corrupted your user profile in Windows, made all your OS settings suddenly disappear, and forced you to use System Restore to use your computer again. Messenger is not a system tool, it's a chat program. That's why I recommend people to stay away from this beta. It's also working very fine on some of our computers in the office but if I could make it crash my own system twice, I think the issue is bad enough to justify some warning.
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-30-2010 04:12 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
TReKiE
Elite Member

41 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: [!] WLM 2011 BETA and Messenger Plus! Live
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Well, the thing is, I don't recall releasing a beta of Messenger Plus! that corrupted your user profile in Windows, made all your OS settings suddenly disappear, and forced you to use System Restore to use your computer again. Messenger is not a system tool, it's a chat program.
The "installer" (just for Messenger on its own) uses 18 different installers in the background, including a system patch, DX 3D 10, Silverlight, et al :P

It is a ridiculously complex installer which tries to install these  installers in parallel and if one fails, it'll just conveniently tell you randomly that one of them failed (not necessarily the one that did).  Even with the setup log, you still have to track down what's failing.  Even worse, it seems some fail silently.

There are issues where it ignores proxy on/off settings, issues with OEM installs of Live Essentials and goodness knows what else.  I've had way too many people so far with these problems, lost at last one night's sleep over them and even just gave up in one circumstance because it was just not worth my time.

I know it's a beta, but really it's more of a preview release as we all know there won't be any design changes.  The Wave 3 installer was bad enough; you're supposed to improve your software, not make it worse. 

As for Messenger 2011 itself, I'm not even going there in this post but I will say I'm not using it on my primary machine :P
[Image: favicon.ico] Jonathan Kay

Note: I am not Dutch, but not from lack of trying :P
06-30-2010 05:26 PM
Kafman

35 / Male / Flag
RE: [!] WLM 2011 BETA and Messenger Plus! Live
Just as I said, I know it cannot be compared to a corrupted profile, but the probability of a system error using this beta (on normal circunstances) is minor that having the normal crashes and bugs.

On another note, when I was using the beta of MS Office 2010 it corrupted all of my applications icons, using the beta of Windows 7 in one opportunity didn't boot, one of the Microsoft Security Essentials early betas was doing some buffer overun on my system and eventualy did a BSOD. How can I expect that an office suit or an antivirus make such damage? Well,  I know this was a 'normal behaviour for such beta' and report it to the developer team.

The point is, public or private, a beta is a beta, it's well know that this kind of error could happen (even if it is so severe), but is better have those errors in this beta that in the final release. Using a beta it's a well know risk, what it bothers me is how partial is your post, is like reading a Cookie's post ranting about Discrate :P. Fair enough, you can warn about that this wlm beta can make damage under unknow circunstances, but saying "stay away from Messenger beta versions" beeing that this is the first beta that I recall that had done a serious damage to a system is not enough (for me) to stay away from all Messenger beta versions.

I hope you understand my opinion. :P

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

This post was edited on 06-30-2010 at 10:24 PM by Kafman.
[Image: sig.png]
06-30-2010 05:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Wow, that's a pretty drastic bug to experience!  I must admit I wasn't a fan of the auto-installer so I'm glad they changed it.  I'm just really waiting for a compatible Plus! before I install it.....don't wanna break over 8 years of Plus! chat logs ;)

I gave it a quick try in VM with a test account on release day and thought it was fairly similar to WLM 2009 (despite the usual alarmist responses of people saying it's "all changed").  I haven't tried the social integration yet but look forward to seeing what it can do as I'm an avid user of Facebook and am definitely looking forward to Facebook chat integration (Y)
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5207 days, 2 hours, 31 minutes, 56 seconds ago
06-30-2010 07:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
TReKiE
Elite Member

41 / Male / Flag
Tongue  RE: RE: [!] WLM 2011 BETA and Messenger Plus! Live
quote:
Originally posted by Kafman
Just as I said, I know it cannot be compared to a corrupted profile, but the probability of a system error using this beta (on normal circunstances) is minor that having the normal crashes and bugs.  Fair enough, you can warn about that this wlm beta can make damage under unknow circunstances, but saying "stay away from Messenger beta versions" beeing that this is the first beta that I recall that had done a serious damage to a system is not enough (for me) to stay away from all Messenger beta verions.
Although I'm not particularly thrilled with the installer or Messenger, I am personally not stopping or warning anyone from trying it out and don't really see much risk in giving it a try (although if you have System Restore disabled, you are a silly person).

With the minor exception of one person, everyone I know has given it a shot, then uninstalled and rolled back to 2009.  And they are not doing so because of system problems (heh), lack of Plus or bugs in the product, but because it's missing functionality and is just frankly just annoying with no benefit.  Even people I thought would be all over the social functionality it didn't seem to appeal to, which doesn't bode well for the direction Microsoft is trying to take Messenger.

This post was edited on 06-30-2010 at 09:34 PM by TReKiE.
[Image: favicon.ico] Jonathan Kay

Note: I am not Dutch, but not from lack of trying :P
06-30-2010 09:27 PM
FaresNB

36 / Male / Flag
So when is the expected date to release a compatible version of Messenger Plus for Windows Live Messenger 2011 (Wave 4) ?
http://forum.art-en.com
&#1570;&#1585;&#1578;&#1610;&#1606; - &#1605;&#1608;&#1602;&#1593; &#1591;&#1604;&#1575;&#1576; &#1575;&#1604;&#1570;&#1583;&#1575;&#1576; &#1604;&#1578;&#1593;&#1604;&#1610;&#1605; &#1575;&#1604;&#1604;&#1594;&#1575;&#1578;
07-05-2010 08:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by FaresNB
So when is the expected date to release a compatible version of Messenger Plus for Windows Live Messenger 2011 (Wave 4) ?
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=94945

you were just told
07-05-2010 09:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
billabongdesigns

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Messenger Plus! Live 4.8 (current release) is not compatible with the any of the betas of Windows Live Messenger 2011 (Wave 4), released June 24, 2010 and August 18, 2010.

However, as of Messenger Plus! Live 4.85.386, released July 19:
quote:
Originally posted by changelog

When the new Messenger beta is detected, Messenger Plus! adds its usual "Software not loaded" menu in the contact list. From this menu, the compatibility window can be displayed to display some information and, more importantly, to let more advanced users disable "safe mode".

When safe mode is disabled with the beta, Messenger Plus! activates some of its functionalities. Using Messenger Plus! in this mode may cause all sorts of errors to occur, no support will be given for beta versions of Messenger.

If you experience issues after disabling safe mode, use the Maintenance wizard (available from the uninstaller) to revert Messenger Plus! to its normal state.

The Repair Wizard of the uninstaller now resets the "safe mode" setting of Messenger Plus! even if user preferences are not erased.
If you disable safe mode, do so at your own risk.

If you wish to use Messenger Plus! Live, please use Windows Live Messenger 2009 (Wave 3), available at http://explore.live.com/.

This thread will be updated when there is additional information available, i.e., see next post below.

Your instructions is not very clear.
in what program do you change the safe mode.

quote:
Originally posted by FaresNB

I agree Messenger Plus needs to catch up and release  their update to work with  Messenger.

I loved  PLus and miss it since I have my own  ID to sign in each day besides  my clubs that I administer for Junior bowlers. so I nned to stay signed in with 3 different profiles.
08-31-2010 08:37 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by billabongdesigns
Your instructions is not very clear.
in what program do you change the safe mode.

Messenger Plus! Live.  But this should only be done by advanced users and even then, most functionality won't work.

quote:
Originally posted by billabongdesigns

I agree Messenger Plus needs to catch up and release  their update to work with  Messenger.

I loved  PLus and miss it since I have my own  ID to sign in each day besides  my clubs that I administer for Junior bowlers. so I nned to stay signed in with 3 different profiles.

Windows Live Messenger 2011 is not final yet and so releasing third party software to be compatible with it would be a mistake as it will hinder testing of the Beta and provide a false impression of how Messenger Plus! Live itself is working.

Also, please refrain from making multiple consecutive posts, it is known as double or triple posting and is against the forum rules.  Instead, use the "Edit" button to add more information to your original post
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5207 days, 2 hours, 31 minutes, 56 seconds ago
08-31-2010 08:54 PM
soik

Is there a way to uninstall beta, reinstall WLM 2010 and keep Plus working like before installing beta 2011 version?

Please tell me how to do that properly.
09-06-2010 03:00 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: