What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Contact timezone like in StuffPlug 3?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Contact timezone like in StuffPlug 3?
Author: Message:
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Contact timezone like in StuffPlug 3?
quote:
Originally posted by EvilDragon
I'm very aware of DST issues, and even .30 or .45 hour timezones. It is not easy.

Perhaps even just getting the IP of the user, then querying the timezone that way. And if the user is behind a proxy, you can screw yourself anyways :D

Basically, I am not that concerned with 30 or 45 minute differences (don't have such contacts, but I know others would like that), I'd just want a clock below contact's avatar that would be user settable to predefined time offsets - perhaps not even necessary to input timezone and/or DST - just an option to type in the OFFSET from YOUR system clock time. That would be swell.

And I do know that I can't expect it, like, tomorrow. It's not burning under my feet - I'm a patient man. Would be extremely cool if it were a dedicated Msg+ feature. To whom I need to talk to carry the feature request over?
  • Getting the IP of the user isn't as easy as one would think.
  • Adding objects to the window is possible (using the SetParent API) however adding something into the window itself is impossible as a script
  • The way I would do it (and also the easiest) would be to show the clock in the titlebar. The clock would only show if you were to set a timezone for the user.
08-26-2010 03:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
EvilDragon

O.P. RE: Contact timezone like in StuffPlug 3?
I think it could be good as a stopgap measure (or permanent, depending on if this is going to end up as a feature of Msg+, who knows). Would there be a Settings screen or something?
08-26-2010 04:04 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Contact timezone like in StuffPlug 3?
quote:
Originally posted by EvilDragon
perhaps not even necessary to input timezone and/or DST - just an option to type in the OFFSET from YOUR system clock time.
And you know by heart at which day of the year the DST is enabled or disabled for all your individual contacts? Because otherwise this is exactly what I've said in my previous post: setting an offset is very very very, thus very :D, inaccurate and insufficient. And I'm not talking about exotic places here at all though.

For example: I do not know by heart at which day DST gets enabled/disabled in Quebec, Seattle, Chili, etc, all I know is that it is at a different days than in most of Europe. So setting an offset for those common contacts isn't accurate (unless I keep track myself of these DST rules around the world and make sure that offset is changed accordingly at the proper times; which I'm obviously not going to do)...

Unless you can get the system time from the contact themselfs in one way or the other, the only good and accurate way is to select a region or if you will a 'nearest' city (not a timezone!!) for those contacts and let the script/tool/plugin deal with the DST rules (script looks up the region/city in an online database each day and gets the current UCT time offset from there - such databases exist).

It would be so cool if this gets implemented in Windows Live Messenger itself though... I'm even wondering why it hasn't already. Seems like basic information for an IM tool.... /me slaps MS :p

This post was edited on 08-26-2010 at 05:15 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-26-2010 05:14 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
EvilDragon

No, just for those situations when you ask the contact "what's the time there?", then contact replies, and you set the offset manually.

Also, true that WLM should have it natively. I mean, Skype has it!

This post was edited on 08-26-2010 at 07:56 PM by EvilDragon.
08-26-2010 07:56 PM
EvilDragon

Slight bumpage for more ideas/opinions/+1's for having this as native Msg+ feature.
09-01-2010 01:16 PM
EvilDragon

Another kind bump.
09-09-2010 08:51 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: