What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Plus not showing on msn

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Plus not showing on msn
Author: Message:
CrazyGurl

O.P. RE: Plus not showing on msn
No it's not, i have exactly the same msn on my PC and it works fine.
09-12-2010 09:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Plus not showing on msn
When you hack software to make it work, it's going to have unpredictable behaviour.

Until you're running a stable set-up, it's hard to diagnose the cause of a problem.  You say that you aren't running any of the incompatible software....so it can only be the hacked version of Messenger causing the problem.  If you install the current version and the problem still exists, then it will be easier to diagnose, because we first need to rule out the instabilities of your setup as being the cause of the problem, as it's the most likely cause
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5207 days, 19 hours, 31 seconds ago
09-12-2010 10:32 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
When you hack software to make it work, it's going to have unpredictable behaviour.

Until you're running a stable set-up, it's hard to diagnose the cause of a problem.  You say that you aren't running any of the incompatible software....so it can only be the hacked version of Messenger causing the problem.  If you install the current version and the problem still exists, then it will be easier to diagnose, because we first need to rule out the instabilities of your setup as being the cause of the problem, as it's the most likely cause
Um, changing one string to change the version number isn't exactly a massive hack, and is unlikely to cause this problem(evidenced by the fact that I know a fair few people using it without any loss of functionality).

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
If you upgrade to WLM 2009 then re-install Messenger Plus! Live, then it will work correctly for you.
Probably not.

---

Your best bet is to run through the installed programs on your PC and Laptop and see if anything stands out that's installed on Laptop that could affect it. Also worth checking the WLM settings you have on both computers. Assuming you've installed WLM and Plus! cleanly and properly it should work fine.

If you don't notice anything, completely uninstall Plus!, and then completely uninstall WLM, reboot and start again.

This post was edited on 09-13-2010 at 06:21 AM by Chrono.
[Image: jumbled.png]
09-12-2010 10:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CrazyGurl

Okay i installed the newest msn and it still didnt work, so i've gone back to the 8.5.   i reaaly do not like the new msn. 
what else could be causing the problem?
09-12-2010 11:30 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Please do not use version 8.5 anymore.

There is a reason why they depricted it, and it isn't just to "force you using their bloated software" (like some people describe it). It also has to do with bugs and security issues!!!

Please, at least install WLM 2009. Like djdannyp explained: it is of no use using a hacked version when trying to troubleshoot the problems you have. The first step in such situation is to use the intended version without any hacks/addons/etc...

Time and again, year after year, people try to hack their Messenger so they can keep on using it. But not everybody succeeds. Of course, the people for which it does work claim by high and low that it "works" and that "there are no problems at all". But in almost every single case, those people do NOT have the full and proper knowledge to properly diagnose or recognize possible problems. And again and again, after some time, people start to experience problems. But by that time it has been so long ago since they tampered with stuff that they actually forgot what they did and thus blame the problem on something else than their own tampering.

I can go on and on about this. But the bottom line is:
Hacking Messenger in any way or form, yes even simply changing a version number, can cause problems (and not just for you btw, but also for your contacts and even the Messenger service in general!!!!!) and should never be done! Your Messenger will not be working properly 100% and you will experience problems, if not now, then later on...

----------------------

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Um, changing one string to change the version number isn't exactly a massive hack
Indeed, but that does not change the fact that it would still be using a possible depricted protocol and other possible incompatible services, ports and methods to connect to the Messenger service and do some stuff. Which CAN cause troubles (especially since quite a lot of fundamental inner workings are changing or have already been changed since then). Of which it is quite possible you wont notice it at first when something goes wrong or you wont think it is related to something like this.
eg: contacts being auto-blocked when you add them, etc, to simply name an example (I'm not claiming it is related, but just giving an example of how things can be related).

bottom line: even simple stuff like changing a version number can cause bigger problems than one might think. Especially when dealing with depricted versions.

Thus:
quote:
Originally posted by CrazyGurl
Okay i installed the newest msn and it still didnt work, so i've gone back to the 8.5.   i reaaly do not like the new msn. 
what else could be causing the problem?
Unless you start using Windows Live Messenger 2009 (a complete clean install), there is unfortunatly no proper way to properly diagnose your problems...

Even if there was a problem found with 8.5 being installed, and it could be 'fixed', you would still have other problems when you keep on using 8.5.

Note that it is not because 2009 didn't work when you installed it, that the reason behind it not working is the same as why 8.5 doesn't work! It might be, but it might also be something entirly different.

Also "it didn't work" isn't realy telling a lot. Always give as much details as possible; what exact step didn't work when you installed 2009?, what exactly did you do?, do you get error messages?, what happens exactly?, etc, etc....

----------------------

;)

This post was edited on 09-13-2010 at 06:50 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-12-2010 11:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CrazyGurl

Whoa calm down :o 
Btw, i'm not a guy lol.
Arguing doesn't solve my problem,  it was a clean install of 2009 when i tested it,  and also clean 8.5,  i used the same setup file that i used on my PC, same way to change the version.
So changing to 2009 didn't fix the problem, it has to be something else.  Maybe a conflicting program or windows live software.
I had to uninstall the windows live essentials that came with the laptop to get 8.5 to install.
Or maybe the plus processes aren't being loaded properly,  on my PC sometimes when plus has an error i have to reboot to fix it so the software has loaded fully.

Internets: serious business. :D

This post was edited on 09-13-2010 at 05:39 PM by CrazyGurl.
09-13-2010 05:38 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: